• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

positive police encounter with anecdotal opening

Demarest

imported post

Amidst the chilly weather we've had as of late, today was a gorgeous day. Not too cold, not too warm, not wet, and not too dry. This was indeed a Goldilocks day; just right. What better way to spend it than taking a quick drive about a mile away to pick up Sweet & Sour Chicken for lunch and make an appearance at the local gas station to replenish the refrigerator's milk supply? I didn't anticipate the trip would take longer than 20 minutes.

Open carrying as per usual, the oriental gentleman that was processing payment for my order asked if I was a policeman. I gave him the customary declining laced with a reminder that he and I are the same: US citizens. He couldn't believe his ears and clarified by asking twice more, each followed by the incomprehensible "No, sir." To his credit, the gentleman wasn't unnerved, but apparently in genuine disbelief. Not at all convinced by receipt of payment and polite discourse, he then asked if it was legal to do that. I answered that it was, and that was apparently the end of his appetite for knowledge. Now onto my appetite...

Oops! Apparently, the red car in front of me wasn't aware that traffic in front of us was in fact stopped. Indeed, she applied the brakes and attempted to swerve to outside of traffic in an attempt to avoid collision. Thankfully, her insufficient level of attention didn't injure any pedestrians. This road has its share, particularly at this hour, and there were several cars parked beside us of people looking to spend time in the nearby forestry. UNfortunately, her efforts weren't entirely successful. There WAS a collision, and a fairly brilliant one, all immediately in front of me.

Coming to a safe stop was no issue for myself. With the aid of my hazard lights activated, traffic behind me likewise was not forced to incur any inconvenience apart from now having to negotiate with oncoming traffic to go about their day. I was on the phone to 911 while the vehicle ahead of the struck vehicle pulled off to the side and immediately came to the aid of the person who did the striking. What are the chances of a collision taking place between an alert, armed citizen who has a cellphone on one end, and what appeared to be a nurse on the other? Dispatch was satisfied with our conversation once I was able to confirm that all parties appeared to be moving around.

Within minutes, there were three cruisers on scene. Two displaying the jet black theme of the county sheriff's office and one that I didn't get to see and didn't at all recognize the uniform of. Probably local police. They passed me content enough at the moment that I was just a witness and proceeded to check on the well being of those involved. Upon return, I promptly notified him that I was an Ohio CHL holder and armed. "I was wondering why you seemed nervous." He was referring to my placing my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight when they first came near my vehicle. I clarified that it was not nervousness, but a general consideration for their arrival to an unfamiliar set of cirucumstances. Shortly thereafter, he told me that there'd be a number of police around and invited me to lock it up in my trunk. Truthfully, I actually couldn't tell if he was trying to look out for me or falsely looking out for them. Either way, I respectfully declined, "No, I'm fine." I kept my hands where they were at all times and as other policeman approached, he nonchalantly shared with them that I was armed, which garnered no further reaction.

The Deputy Sheriff informed me that they weren't the ones taking the accident and that that's why everybody was just waiting at this point. It wasn't long at all before an Ohio State Highway Patrol cruiser arrived. The OSH patrolman asked me to move my vehicle to the side. I asked if he had already been informed and he confirmed. Later, I filled out a written report of what I witnessed. Not only was he polite, but he seemed genuinely pleased and at ease. Once finished, he cautioned me to take care when re-entering traffic and that was that.

We're constantly bombarded with more and more evidence of the police state we live in today. As such, I am tremendously grateful that even though I was armed, as well as operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway, none of four policeman I had encountered were at all interested in my "papers." With literally daily reports of police brutality and misconduct, I thought everybody might enjoy a positive story and from a usually cynical point of view. Hats off to the gentlemen on scene who are making wonderful efforts towards what used to be known as protect and serve.

mazellan819

imported post

I am glad that you had a good experience. I have had similar experiences. However, there are rotten eggs in every group of people or professions. It seams with law enforcement the bad eggs out shine the good eggs and I'm sure this trickles to other professions as well. As someone pursuing a Career in law enforcement I will carry my knowledge of gun laws with me to the force. Anyways congrats on your positive experience.

Maze

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Sounds like you had an encounter with the good majority and not the unusual misinformed or bad.

I had a nice "non-encounter" the other day. I'd stopped to get gas and no sooner had I started filling the tank than a local officer rounded the pumps, talking on his radio and eyeing the double mag pouch on my left hip. I have to confess that, "oh, crap, here we go" crossed my mind. Boy was I wrong, he parked across from me and got out to help an older lady who'd apparently broken down.