• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FCPD bumble bus abductor!

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

So about 2 hours before rush hour, FCPD in their infinite wisdom shutdown US 1, and every surrounding road for a bus taker. Rather than free traffic on the roads surrounding the area, including the other side of (the divided) US 1, plus the access roads, they shut the whole damn thing down for miles.

Way to go. Show the islamo-fascist terrorists exactly what to do to completely PARALYZE any area of the county.

It truly makes me wonder if these guys are even capable of handling a disaster.
I thought we were supposed to have learned something from the WW bridge jumper.

IanB

imported post

I was thinking they blocked traffic to give the SWAT sniper a better (and safer) shot.

LEO 229

imported post

This IS off topic!!!!

It was clearlyposted tobash the police. This was a murder suspect and not someone legallyopenly carrying.

The focus of the post was to rant about the police and traffic. You never even mention a gun!!!

Mods... please remove!!

unrequited

imported post

even more info here:
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=1271194

Granted it's a little heavyhanded against your brothers in blue, I do understand the frustration, while appreciating the need for a "safety zone". He did have a gun, and was suicidal. The other passengers (don't say how many in articles I've found) jumped out of the back emergency exit (do they mean rear-side exit? I wasn't aware that any buses had back exits but school buses) in the initial "takeover".

This stands as a pretty important local event especially with the HRT stuff just recently and others who may choose to ride CC/OC on a bus so let's bring this back on topic to our community instead of just locking it. In fact I'd go so far as to watch your matter of dress and demeanor should you decide to OC in NoVA for the next month or so because the cops will be on high alert. It's one thing if you get uniforms sent, but if they dispatch SWAT I'm sure it would be a bad day no matter how it turned out.

Curiously, had you or anybody else been on that bus (armed) and saw a man with bloody clothes board the bus scream that he was going to kill himself and brandished a gun threatening the driver and other passengers, would you take action or flee? Assuming you're anywhere but the first row, your only angle is straightforward and your only backstop is the windshield and whatever traffic lay before you. It'd be a tough call and I honestly don't know what I'd do for that reason as well as others. If everybody started clearing out the rear-exit but he insisted on keeping the driver hostage, you'd even lose the ability to maintain observation and wait things out. It's a very tough scenario.

(pre-emptive stfu to HankT for neutralizing the threat)

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

It was clearlyposted tobash the police
did you notice I was flying in that black helicopter flying overhead? :quirky

The response to this was assinine. You can't just block off an area as a generic response to ... well... an idiot. Chr!st almighty, what if there had beenactual emergency? There would have been nowhere to flee. This is one of few FC areas of high concentrations of elderly people, how the hell did they expect to get an ambulance to one of them?

would you take action or flee?

I'd grabwife 1.0 and take the nearest exit if possible. I have zero hostage negotiating skillsandanything I saidwould've likely set the guy off. I may have gotten off the bus at a wrong stopimmediately after he got on; I'm not clear if they had time to do this though.

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

That why the FCPD helicopter was flying overhead down the RT 1 yesterd. I guess when I drove down about 3:30 toward that direction toward Hybla Valley, it was all over. So whenI hear the helicopter flying over lowand circlingafter dark, sometimes they have the search light on and I think they have night vision also,they are looking for a person. SoI keep my trusty at hand, incase who ever getting chased decides to run in hide in the wrong place....my home.

Marco

imported post

What idiot tries to make a getaway on a public bus and with bloody clothes.

If that woman had just had the meansto defend herself,
and was willingness to use it.

EDIT:
I'm not saying she didn't fight back.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO 229 does have a point, this situation isn't well related to OC. The title alone should be warning enough. I won't lock it yet but any further discussion needs to be related to OC.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The standard police response to just about any situation involves blocking traffic and making a big mess of things. Thats just the way it is.

Tomahawk

imported post

I was stuck in that traffic...only found out today what it was that caused it.

So, Mr. Y says he would try to escape from the bus ASAP. That's cetainly a valid option; any reason to avoid a deadly gunfight is always welcome.

But what if you can't get off the bus fast enough? What if the guy decides he wants a hostage, and you or your wife will do?

A bus is not a nice place for a fight, but you don't get to choose the time and place for defending yourself, the bad guys do. So it may help to have thought about this beforehand.

OC or CC? I prefer to CC on a bus, especially if its crowded, but OC is fine as long as you're aware of your surroundings. If you get sucked into a hostage-taking situation, which would you prefer? I think OC is good if you are going to fight back immediately, but CC is better if you are waiting for an opportune time to fight back.

All food for thought.

longwatch

imported post

Yeah its hard to say how a fleeing murderer might react to OC. He might not at all being to distracted by his predicament and not expecting to see armed folks. OTOH he might be set off by it as in the way he was when the police tried to stop the bus. The good news is that an alert OCer has a fair chance to pick out a guy covered in blood and be ready for action.

longwatch

imported post

Ugh 2 developments in this story.
One the perp was out on bail awaiting sentencing for assault.
Kevin Kline suspected of Fairfax murder

Two, I'll save that until the next VA-Alert comes out.

Earlier this month, a 12-member jury found Kline guilty of these felonies related to an attack on a Culpeper woman in her barn March 31. The jury recommended a total sentence of five years in prison and $1,000 in fines.
During trial court proceedings, the commonwealth urged the court to revoke Kline’s bond and keep him in jail until sentencing. His crimes carry no presumption of bond, according to Culpeper County Commonwealth’s Attorney Gary Close.
However, Culpeper County Circuit Court Judge John R. Cullen denied the motion and allowed Kline to remain out on a $15,000 secured bond, pending sentencing.
Kline had no criminal record before the Culpeper case.
Culpeper court records indicate that Kline went into the barn on Allaway Road around 6:30 a.m. to remove property belonging to his mother, who was renting from the homeowner.
He wore latex gloves to the house and had a Taser gun.
The 56-year-old homeowner went into her barn that morning and was attacked.

Authorities say she was thrown to the ground, hit in the face and head and also kicked. She suffered injuries to her elbow and was struck in the neck with a stun gun.
Kline was also injured when the homeowner’s dog bit part of his lip off, which was found at the crime scene.

longwatch

imported post

Code:
1.  With sadness: member's spouse avoided protection, was ultimate
victim

It is with shock and great sadness, we update a report from last week
[url]http://tinyurl.com/2nq688[/url] about the shooting in Fairfax County
where a man was given bail against the urging of the prosecutor, and
shortly thereafter murdered an elderly woman in a park and then took
over a bus.

The woman was in the VCDL family.

I offer my personal condolences and the condolences on behalf of VCDL.

I hope that by publishing this, maybe other spouses who are also
afraid of guns will rethink their position and possibly save their
own lives someday.

A bereaved Roy S. Gillinson M.D., wrote to us, and gave his kind
permission to reprint here, in his hope it might help others:

--

I am a member of VCDL and several other 2nd Amendment defense
organizations.

The Victim of the Murder in Huntley Meadows Park and wildlife
preserve on October 17 was my 80 yr old wife of 60 years.

She sat reading on a bench and was a frequent visitor to the park and
was well known to the employees and other visitors.  The released
violent criminal was apparently attempting to obtain the keys to her
car, presumably to evade his court orders and escape the area.  She
was pistol whipped about the head, and then shot through the eye
dying instantly.

She was a sweet natured lady 5' 0",and not physically strong; but
fearful of carrying a weapon or even using a personal alarm device.

I am hoping that this event will bring retribution and remorse to the
so called "Judge(s)" who basically were the root cause of this
tragedy.

--

Here is a recent article on this horribly tragedy:

[url=http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1271194]http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1271194[/url]

Suspect in Killing, Barricade Was Free on Bond

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- A man suspected of killing a woman in the Hybla
Valley area of Fairfax County, then barricading himself on a bus, was
free on bond while awaiting sentencing in another crime.

Kevin C. Kline, 18, of Woodbridge is charged with murdering a woman
whose body was found in Huntley Meadows Park, just off Route 1.
Police haven't described a motive or any relationship between the two.

The Culpeper County State's Attorney's office says Kline was
convicted of malicious wounding earlier this month in a taser attack
on a woman this spring. But he was set free on bond while awaiting
sentencing in that crime.

In Fairfax County, the body of Joan Gillinson, 80, was found just
after 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. Shortly thereafter, Kline, armed with a
gun and blood on his clothes, ran out of the bushes, and onto the
Fairfax Connector Bus, police say.

Once on the bus, he ordered everybody off and then he threatened to
kill himself. The armed standoff with police ended peacefully shortly
after 6:30 p.m. Armed SWAT team members arrested him and took him
into custody.

Police had received a call about a suspicious man riding a bus and
when they drove up to the bus and attempted to pull over the bus.

Police closed off Route 1 in both directions near the Mount Vernon
Plaza shopping center, snarling traffic in the area for several hours.

No one was injured in the incident, police say.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

And it's enough said unless there are specific comments, that somehow might have a positive contribution. The husband is one of our own. Respect is due.
Yata hey