• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DMV?

-C4-

imported post

Is open carry in DMV legal? Is concealed carry in the DMV legal? I can't find anything that would say it is legal, but I just wanted to verify.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OC in all state buildings and facilities in Virginia is not unlawful, save for courthouses and a few other nit noid exceptions (mainly public lands like state parks) buried in the Virginia Administrative Code.

Xeni

imported post

I went into the Manassas DMV on Tuesday armed with my Glock 23 in my Blackhawk holster. No :what:from anyone near as I could tell. The contracted security officer I don't believe seemed to notice at all.

My wife on the other hand refused to come into the DMV with me as she said that she wanted to be available to bail me out of jail if I was detained/arrested.

XD Owner

imported post

Copied from my post in March. My, how times flies!

Yes. See my experience at theAlexandriaDMV in August 2006.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=380&forum_id=54

I received a letter of apology from the Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, D.B. Smit.

The relevant paragraphs of the letter read as follows:

“If an individual is observed carrying a firearm in aDMV Office and is acting in a non-threatening manner, it isDMV policy to notify the security officer on duty at that time. The security officer andDMV personnel are to observe the individual, but no action is to be taken.

NeitherDMV personnel nor the security officer are to approach the individual or contact local law enforcement without first contactingDMV Law Enforcement Services. Unfortunately, the manager of the Alexandria officer and the security officer on duty failed to follow established procedures, and contacted local law enforcement instead. I apologize for this but can assure you they took this action only because they were concerned about the potential safety of our employees and customers. Please be assured that we have taken steps to ensure that all security officers and DMV personnel are aware of the procedures to follows in situations such as yours.”

If you go to the Alexandria DMV, please give a friendly hello to Armed Security Officer T. Ali and remind him that before he calls local law enforcement, that he first has to call the DMV Law Enforcement Services first, but since you are a peaceable citizen, there should be no reason for him to even do that.

If Alexandria PD roll upremain seated in the waiting room and say "you want my ID??" OK. My name is (fill in the blank.) Are you detaining me? Am I being charged with anything? You do not have to give your SSN, drivers license (are you driving inside the waiting room?) or anything else other than your name, and giving it to them verbally should be enough for them to determine if you are a wanted person or NOT! And start asking your neighbors for their name as witnesses. I would not let them isolate you, because it then becomes harder for witnesses to see or hear anything.

They really ticked me off when they interrogated me. Without probable cause, you can just sit there. Since it is theDMV, you will be doing a lot of sitting!

I'd take time off to go with you, but not possible. I'm in Kuwait currently!
END OF POST##

And let me add, bring a voice recorder, if not a video camera. We need more material for YouTube!

:celebrate

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The DMV issue was fully dealt with some time back. Do a search of the old topics if you're interested. Bottom line: OC and CC are definitely legal at VA's DMV offices. A few security guards and employees caused a stink in the past, but the official policy has now been disseminated, so you should have no problem.

IanB

imported post

-C4- wrote:
Is open carry in DMV legal? Is concealed carry in the DMV legal? I can't find anything that would say it is legal, but I just wanted to verify.
Welcome to OCDO. Laws tell you what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do. Case in point, can you show me the law stating that it is legal to watch TV? No? Ok, therefore, since it is not illegal, it MUST be legal to watch TV.

unrequited

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
-C4- wrote:
Is open carry in DMV legal?  Is concealed carry in the DMV legal?  I can't find anything that would say it is legal, but I just wanted to verify.
Welcome to OCDO. Laws tell you what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do. Case in point, can you show me the law stating that it is legal to watch TV? No? Ok, therefore, since it is not illegal, it MUST be legal to watch TV.
Heh not true for our neighbors across the pond who have to pay to watch tv and it is illegal to watch tv without first purchasing a license for your house to watch it in. Crazy Brits. Thankfully we don't live there.> )

sjhipple

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Heh not true for our neighbors across the pond who have to pay to watch tv and it is illegal to watch tv without first purchasing a license for your house to watch it in. Crazy Brits. Thankfully we don't live there.> )
The funny thing about these insane laws is the Brits probably think it's completely legit. The same way we cow-tow to the dumbass laws in our country.

sjhipple

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
The real, real sad thing is that the Brits have electronic snoopers driving up and down the streets looking for electronic signatures from television sets not taxed, and they think nothing of it.
It'll happen here too. As soon as it becomes "necessary to fight terrorism." Necons care nothing about freedom.

sjhipple

imported post

S&W1911 wrote:
What shouldI do if I am at the DMV, "armed" and they ask me to leave? Its not privet property is it?
No, it's public property and you have a right to be there unless you're causing problems. You're allowed to carry so open carrying is not "causing problems" according to the AG (not to be confused with the OG...the AG fights the OG. The OG loses battles and wins the war...at least that's how it looks at this point in the game. That's one of the reasons we carry...but I digress).

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

S&W1911 wrote:
What shouldI do if I am at the DMV, "armed" and they ask me to leave? Its not privet property is it?

On February 9, 2008, the Fredericksburg/South PointDMVguard asked me to leave when I took my son in for his learners permit. I refused to leave or place my weapon in my car. He kept asking for my permit and I kept telling him that one wasn't required for open carry. Got to a point where he was getting a little loud and I recommended he call his supervisor. He did and came back to tell me that it was okay and that I didn't have to leave. Turned out to be a learning experience for him but a little embarrassing for me. The rest of the staff there didn't say anything... no issues.

Same DMV a couple months earlier another security guard at the same DMV asked me if I was an officer... I told him I was a retired Marine Corps officer but not a police office. Received a blank stare and he wandered off but he was clearly aggravated that I was there and closely watched everything I was doing.

Bandit

imported post

Agreed, how many criminals are going to openly display the fact that they are armed....

A little off topic....Do ABC stores fall into the same category as the DMV when it comes to carrying? I was always under the impression that they are state run as well.

Sleepless

imported post

unrequited wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
-C4- wrote:
In Sweden to my knowledge you have to pay a TV licence fee not for the house or apartment but for each and every TV that you own.

Thank god I moved away from Europe when I had the chance.

Btw is it only State Parks, Federal Government locations and courthouses where it is illegal or are they trying to add to the list??

ODA 226

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
unrequited wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
-C4- wrote:
In Sweden to my knowledge you have to pay a TV licence fee not for the house or apartment but for each and every TV that you own.

Thank god I moved away from Europe when I had the chance.

Btw is it only State Parks, Federal Government locations and courthouses where it is illegal or are they trying to add to the list??
Same for Croatia PLUS if you own a bar/restaurant you must pay a tax to play music or to have a TV in your establishment.

cmbf117

imported post

Bandit wrote:
Agreed, how many criminals are going to openly display the fact that they are armed....

A little off topic....Do ABC stores fall into the same category as the DMV when it comes to carrying? I was always under the impression that they are state run as well.
They are state stores. And carry is legal. I do it all the time. :) In fact, see the SW VA thread for a recent story.