• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you take with you?

LEO 229

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Maybe I'm just speaking from personal experience. last week I told my aunt that she should carry a first aid kit in her car especially because she is a member of the citizen area response team in her city... just makes sense. Well, Monday night while driving home, her and her two oldest sons got sideswiped. Do you how alarming it is to hold a bloody t-shirt to your mothers head while it takes EMS 12-15 minutes on average to get to you? I could have stopped that bleeding and had her calm.

And no, I didn't make that up. $30 for a kit the size of a standard pant cargo pocket along with a $6 pair of EMT sheers is not "too much to carry."
I carry one in my car. The chances you will drive up or even witness an accident with injury are pretty good.

expvideo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Maybe I'm just speaking from personal experience. last week I told my aunt that she should carry a first aid kit in her car especially because she is a member of the citizen area response team in her city... just makes sense. Well, Monday night while driving home, her and her two oldest sons got sideswiped. Do you how alarming it is to hold a bloody t-shirt to your mothers head while it takes EMS 12-15 minutes on average to get to you? I could have stopped that bleeding and had her calm.

And no, I didn't make that up. $30 for a kit the size of a standard pant cargo pocket along with a $6 pair of EMT sheers is not "too much to carry."
I carry one in my car. The chances you will drive up or even witness an accident with injury are pretty good.

I agree. That's the reason I carry a knife. I carry a half-serated Kershaw blur (one handed opening), that I bought for the singular purpose of cutting seatbelts. It works for all kinds of other projects, and I use it mostly to open fedex packages, but that's not why I carry it.

The reason I was convinced to spend money on a knife was because someone once told me that I'm 9 times more likely to need to cut a seatbelt from a victim of a car accident than I amto need to shoot someone, so if I'm carrying a gun for "just in case" then I should really have a knife too. I agreed.

I don't consider my knife to be a weapon, and I don't carry it as one. It's a tool that I got a lot more use out of than I first expected.

LEO 229

imported post

expvideo wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I agree. That's the reason I carry a knife. I carry a half-serated Kershaw blur (one handed opening), that I bought for the singular purpose of cutting seatbelts. It works for all kinds of other projects, and I use it mostly to open fedex packages, but that's not why I carry it.

The reason I was convinced to spend money on a knife was because someone once told me that I'm 9 times more likely to need to cut a seatbelt from a victim of a car accident than I amto need to shoot someone, so if I'm carrying a gun for "just in case" then I should really have a knife too. I agreed.

I don't consider my knife to be a weapon, and I don't carry it as one. It's a tool that I got a lot more use out of than I first expected.

I have a Benchmade. Have several actually.. I love knives!!

I always have one on me and enjoy the combo blades. The serrated edge works well for cutting seat belts.

I have a few switch blade types but have a lock blade for carry out of state.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Usually I carry the sidearm, two spare mags, a knife, voice recorder, and a single battlefield wound dressing on my person.

I have a BOB (Bug out bag) in the truck with a first aid kit, canteen of water, a change of clothes and other emergency essentials. In the camper shell Ive got more water, a sleeping bag, tools, and a gas can.

Is it too much? Yeah, if Im going to the grocery store. But if I'm stuck in the snow or rolled over in a ditch somewhere where theres no mobile phone signal, Im not worried about freezing, dehydrating, or starving before I can either get out or get help.