• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you take with you?

expvideo

imported post

Some of us carry a lot on us and some of us only carry a gun and a phone. I am wondering what you carry vs what you leave in the car. Personally, I keep the essentials on my person, but all the stuff I'd like to have sits in a duffle bag in my trunk. It helps to lighten the load, and it's nice to be minutes away from all of it.

So what do you carry on your person, and what do you leave in the car/truck?

I carry:

-9mm handgun
-1-2 reloads
-kershaw folder
-cell phone
-identification and CWP
-sometimes a surefire light

My duffle contains:
-basic road kit (jumper cables, flares, etc)
-a gallon of water
-emergency blanket
-first aid kit
-notepad and pen
-standard caliber ammo for guns I don't have
-ammo for guns I do have
-flashlights
-fire starters
-large hunting knife
-handheld CB radio
-economy pack of batteries

Next to my duffle is a 2 gallon gas can with gas. Sometimes the extra magazines are left in the car, and sometimes there's a level II vest in the car.

So I'm sure we all have different prefferences; what are yours?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I carry:

.45 Caliber Pistol

1 Reload

phone

wallet

Blackhawk Kalista knife (if i leave the .357 at home)

.357 (if I don't carry the knife)

badge (if and only if I am on call-volunteer fireman)

I leave in the car:

JIC Mossberg 12 ga.

Radio

badge(if i'm not on call)

breakdown kit (first aid kit, gas, jumper cables, water, etc...)

Gerber multi-tool

Box of 12 ga. Hornady Tap FPDs

Box of Speer GDHP in .45

An assortment of both functional and non functional lights

Erus

imported post

On my person:

Pistol

Folder Knife

Cell Phone

Digital Voice Recorder (recent addition, after reading far too many posts here)

ID/cash

In my vehicle:

First Aid Kit (serious one, though not a full FR kit)

Fire Extinguisher

Big Maglight w/ Extra Batteries

Road Emergency Kit (Flares, Cables, Tools, Gas Can, Jack, etc.)

Auto Glass Hammer w/ seatbelt cutter

Water

Blanket

Non-perishable food stuffs / condiment packages

Entrenching tool

Fire Starter gizmos

Two extra mags of JHP for the .45

Copies of the U.S. Constition

Road Atlas

Note pad/ pen

Digital Camera

Various Knives

Whatever Etc. I can't think of right now. lol...

(I also carry a registered nurse with me when my wife is in the truck.. lol)

Erus

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I already posted this in: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/5388.html

Here is some in addition that I forgot. shown in Red:

Might seem like a "gear-queer," but I bet you'd be singing a different song if I walked by and you were bleeding to death.

I took my re-cert 2 weeks ago for:

A. Adult First Aid

B. Enviornmental Emergencies

C. Adult/Child CPR With Mask

D. Adult/Child AED

E. Infant CPR With Mask

That is from the American Heart Association and good through 2009

-----

I carry this stuff on my person, as I don't have a car and walk most the time. when in a car, it goes in the back seat.

- ID Blue Card and cash.. normal credit cards, etc.

- Glock19/Surefire X200-A

- Bladetech Duty Holster with Retention

- 2 Extra mags, along with the 1 in the weapon (in a 2-mag holster)

- 90 Lumine LED flashlight with an internal laser

- Flint and steel to start a fire if needed

- S&W 3" tanto folder 1/4 serrated

- Casio G-Shock watch (blood preasure. I don't have room for a cuff in my bag.)

- Blackberry 7230 Handheld Phone (use this more than anything else. 911)

- ALS Top Cop Oleoresin Capsicum Spray 10%/2 million SHU's

- OD green shemagh

- Chem-lights (Glow sticks)

- "Ventilated Operator Kit" or V.O.K. for short http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=3130

that includes the following:

(1) ORIGINAL S.O.E. - IFAK Pouch
(1) CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 35g Pack
(1) E.M.T. Shears - 7 Inch Stainless - Black
(1) Cinch Tight Compression "H" Bandage
(1) TK-4 Tourni-Kwik (3” wide 40" long Rugged Combat Tourniquet)
(1) Primed Gauze (crinkle cotton)
(1) Nasopharyngeal Airway (30FR Robertazzi Style)
(1) 14ga x 3 ¼ Catheter (sterile)
(1) Alcohol Prep Pad
(2) Safety Pins (2”) multipurpose
(1) Duct Tape (2”x100” roll)
(1) Set Nitrile N-Dex Gloves

- CPR Microshield (on my keychain) http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_175&products_id=2745

- Bolin Chest Seal: http://exmedsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Suction.html

- Cinch Tight -Catastrophic Trauma Kit http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=2136

- First Responder Holster Set with Reflectors http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_175&products_id=2744

- standard "boo boo kit" normal bandaids, alc pads, neosporen, burn cream, Eye-wash, crazy glue, medical tape, etc.

- Dual Ice - instant ice pack

- 1x etra Cinch Tight- "Cinch Tight" Universal Trauma Bandage. also called an "Israeli" bandage

- 1x etra CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 15g Pack

- Aleve tablets x100 (220mg)

- Bear tablets x100

- 2x extra Nitrile N-DEX Gloves

- 1 Red and 1 Black "Sharpie"

- 1x Oral Rehydration Salts

- 1 liter fresh water (sealed)

and I'm soon to add a couple epi-pens to that list.

This all fits onto a backpack "MAXPEDITION - Typhoon GearSlinger." http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_82&products_id=2862

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

On my person normally:
Glock 19 or 17 in Serpa holster
One extra mag (G17 mag w/ +2 on it, even when carrying G19)
Benchmade Presidio Auto
Chris Reeve Sabenza
Benchmade Folder (cheap $30)
Surefire L2
Wallet
Keys
Handcuff Key
Cell phone

expvideo

imported post

I suppose a shotgun would be a good idea to keep in the car, but I was thinking an AR7 survival rifle might make more sense, since I am looking more for the survival type of stuff.

I forgot to mention that I have high-protein, freeze-dried "astronaut" food in there too. I'll replace it with MREs eventually. I should consider a GPS too, but we'll have to see. That can go on the list of things I'd like to have someday, but can't afford (also on this dream list is night vision :D because night vision is totally bada**, not because it's useful to me in any way)

So longwatch, what's an IOSAT?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ummmm ok so I aside from a set of jumper cables and some tools (maybe a blanket), I don't keep any of that crap in my car. As far as on me I've got my gun, usually a knife, and whatever else I need (like phone, keys, wallet, etc). Now this is an honest question...don't you guys think having all that stuff that you've mentioned with you could be a little paranoid? A shotgun, ammo for guns you don't have, cpr masks, vests, water, food...I mean if you're going camping or driving through the middle of no-where, that's one thing, but I'm assuming most of you guys are just driving to and from work and going to dinner and such on a daily basis, right?

Please don't take this as an insult, I am HONESTLY curious. I don't think the average person needs half the stuff that people have mentioned on here. DO they? lol

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ummmm ok so I aside from a set of jumper cables and some tools (maybe a blanket), I don't keep any of that crap in my car. As far as on me I've got my gun, usually a knife, and whatever else I need (like phone, keys, wallet, etc). Now this is an honest question...don't you guys think having all that stuff that you've mentioned with you could be a little paranoid? A shotgun, ammo for guns you don't have, cpr masks, vests, water, food...I mean if you're going camping or driving through the middle of no-where, that's one thing, but I'm assuming most of you guys are just driving to and from work and going to dinner and such on a daily basis, right?

Please don't take this as an insult, I am HONESTLY curious. I don't think the average person needs half the stuff that people have mentioned on here. DO they? lol

I've been stranded in the snow before, and I want to have fire starters, a safetyblanket, etc. As for the ammo for guns I don't even own, that wasn't really something that I thought out some kind of "I show up and save the day" or zombie movie scenario, I just happened to be throwing a couple boxes of 9mm in the bag and realized that I had extra ammo and no purpose for it, so I put it in the bag. It wasn't a tactical decision, it just seemed to make more sense there than anywhere else. I don't personally go to the store and stock up on Hydrashock in 9mm, 40s&w, 357, 38 special, and .45 acp, just because you never know. that would be a little too paranoid for my taste.

I just don't like to throw out ammo just cause I don't have a gun to use it in, so I figure if I ever find a use for it, I'll probably rather to have it on me than in the closet. The closest I can think to ever "needing" that ammo is giving it to a friend who happened to pick up a gun in that caliber.

As for a shotgun, I can see how it would be a nice thing to have in a truck. It depends where you live, but in some areas it would bestranger to not have one. I live in the city, so a shotgun in the car would probably be more of a theft liability than anything else. And the vest is not in the car often. I usually leave it at home. My point was that if I do take it with me, it usually stays in the car.

In the winter, I drive out into the country to visit my family. The drive is bad if it's been snowing, and I try to avoid it, but sometimes you just get stuck in bad weather. Plus my car isn't the most reliable thing in the world.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well that seems a little more logical :). The way you worded it, it made it sound like you intentionally carried the ammo lol. I can understand having it lying around and keeping it all together. As far as the cold weather gear, I'm from MN originally so I do understand having that sort of thing, especially when driving on the highway.

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
How bout Hustler, Playboy...???:lol:

Sounds good... If I am stranded it will not be for long living in the city. I need something to read while I wait for the tow truck.

Otherwise.... I carry nothing extra.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

DreQo wrote:

Paranoid no, prepared YES.

Seroiusly, I'm straining right now to not start an internet dick war over what you just said... you're acting just like the "why do you think you need a gun" antis who harass all OCers.

Here are some questions for you:

1. do you wear a seatbelt when you drive?
  2. do you have car insurance, if so, do you plan on getting in an accident on a daily bases?
  3. do you lock your doors when you are at home, or leave them open to the world?
  4. do you lock your car when you go grocery shopping? Hey, its broad daylight, no one is gonna snatch anything.. right?
Seriously man... get your head our of your ass.

LEO 229

imported post

DreQo wrote:

Damn!! I cannot believe you and I see things alike for once... :D

As I posted... I do not carry anything extra. If I were taking a long trip were I may be a long ways from civilization for miles... Then I would be sure to have some stuff packed.

But for everyday travel around home... I have a mobile phone, a gun, and my shoes.

LEO 229

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Seroiusly, I'm straining right now to not start an internet dick war over what you just said... you're acting just like the "why do you think you need a gun" antis who harass all OCers.

2. do you have car insurance, if so, do you plan on getting in an accident on a daily bases?
  3. do you lock your doors when you are at home, or leave them open to the world?
  4. do you lock your car when you go grocery shopping? Hey, its broad daylight, no one is gonna snatch anything.. right?
Have to answer your questions since they are B.S.

1. It is the law.

2. It is the law

3. Thieves enter cars all the time and rip you off.

4. Thieves enter cars all the time and rip you off.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Sounds good... If I am stranded it will not be for long living in the city. I need something to read while I wait for the tow truck.

You do not even carryan extra mag!!!!

Do you know the RISK you're taking????

My gawd, you'll be sorry someday.... :cry:

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

You do not even carryan extra mag!!!!

Do you know the RISK you're taking????

My gawd, you'll be sorry someday.... :cry:
Well, in 15 years I have not needed one. :D

I guess I am not the average citizen that gets into trouble once in a while.

I am a freaking cop and should know better! Well, maybe it is because I am hyper aware and know how to avoid trouble and bad places.

New beginning!! I am going tocarry a few extra mags in my car starting today!!!

Today is the day I make change and the board has convinced me.

I will carry at least the previous two months of playboy just in case I get into trouble! :lol:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I kinda understand your reaction, which is why I stated multiple times that I'm NOT trying to be condescending, and that I am seriously curious. The stuff I was referring to, like gallons of water and food for days, are things that a normal person just wouldn't need if their car broke down on the side of the road in an urban or suburban area. Especially in today's age with every person over 10 owning a cellphone.

If I were driving through an area that was otherwise unpopulated, and there could literally be 30 or 40 miles between anything, I can understand being more prepared, and having things like a day or two's ration of water. Also, in the colder states (like MN) I can see having a blanket and some over-night survival type stuff in case you get stuck in a blizzard. I also understand having basic things like jumper cables and flashlights and such.

The questions you posed are not relative to the opinion I've expressed. I do understand that it's better to have and not need then to need and not have. That is why I carry a gun. There is a point where logic dictates that some things are just more than likely not going to happen, likeneeding the shotgun in your car when you've already got a .45 on your hip.

Everyone has their opinion of what is just being prepared and what is down right paranoid. I very honestly and respectfully expressed that I thought some of what was described here was crossing that line for me, and thought we could discuss it.

Anyway back on topic, I forgot to mention that I ALWAYS have a fishing rod and tackle box in the trunk or back seat :). The odds are much higher that I'll randomly decide to drive out to the pier to fish as apposed to being attacked by 5+ armed gargoyles with jet packs.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Maybe I'm just speaking from personal experience. last week I told my aunt that she should carry a first aid kit in her car especially because she is a member of the citizen area response team in her city... just makes sense. Well, Monday night while driving home, her and her two oldest sons got sideswiped. Do you how alarming it is to hold a bloody t-shirt to your mothers head while it takes EMS 12-15 minutes on average to get to you? I could have stopped that bleeding and had her calm.

And no, I didn't make that up. $30 for a kit the size of a standard pant cargo pocket along with a $6 pair of EMT sheers is not "too much to carry."