Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: stopped at waterside norfolk

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    id first just like to say hi to everyone im new to the OC board

    well to the story i believe it was a few monthes ago

    my buddy his girlfriend and i were going to hooters in waterside to get some lunch my buddy was driving my truck cuz i didnt feel like it its a lifted f-250 diesel and in the parking garage we had a lil prob with the how tall my truck was i was CC till i sat on the window seal to watch and see if we were gunna make it so there was a line of cars behind us as we drove in cuz we were going so slow and we finailly found a spot he backed in i put my gun in the glove box cuz i was gunna have a beer with my lunch well no sooner than i shut the door 2 cops jump out of the car and run over to me saying "I NEED TO SEE UR CC PERMIT" in a GET ON THE GROUND kinda voice i guess this was the highlight of the day "omg a gun lets get him" well anyways i said "i dont need a permit i dont even have it on me" he said " its concealed in ur truck now aint it?" well yeah so i showed him my permit and his aditude compleatly changed like (damnit i dont get to bust him now) well he said he saw it when i was sitting on the window and so did everybody els and it wouldent be a good idea to park there i guess he was right so we just parked up front the cops were being reall a$$holes till they saw i had a permit tho but anyways thats my only story so far

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Please, PLEASE use punctuation.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    sorry i hated english class

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    S&W1911 wrote:
    sorry i hated english class
    ...or don't.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard, S&amp.

    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle. Otherwise it would have been a target for thieves. You say this was a few months ago. If you've read any of the other recent threads about the Norfolk police, you know they have a rep for "overzealousness" to say the least. We are trying to remedy this, and I'd like to think it might already be a bit better. By the way, a whole bunch of us OC'd at Waterside Hooters after going to a Norfolk city council meeting to complain about their harrassment and brutality towards some of our members. We had no problems there. (?safety in numbers?)

    (You don't need to like English class. Just capitalize the first word of each sentence, put a period at the end of each complete thought, and you're pretty much good to go.) :celebrate

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    Yeah, I have heard about them. I live about 5 min from there in Portsmouth. Portsmouth police have gottin pretty bad to.

  7. #7
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    S&W1911 wrote:
    sorry i hated english class
    Just a simple comment.

    You may have hated your "english class", but by now, I can assure you, it's coming back to haunt you. You are, and will be judged, by how well you speak and write. Do yourself a big favor and learn to do this better than your peers. You will be surprised how impressions of and about you will change.

    Again, just some friendly advice.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
    Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

    Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

    Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    If your locking it up and exiting the vehicle.... I do not see this as a violation.

    I see from Mike's post that the VA SC feels the same way.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
    Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

    Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

    Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.


    So, if I leave my gun in the car briefly, I don't have to securely wrap or lock it up in the trunk? It cannot be considered concealed if I am not in the vehicle? I only ask, because I posted a similar question before and did not get any specific answers.




  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    S&W1911 wrote:
    Yeah, I have heard about them. I live about 5 min from there in Portsmouth. Portsmouth police have gottin pretty bad to.
    Much better! Thanks, it is so much easier to read.:celebrate

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    kerchaulk wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
    Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

    Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

    Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.

    So, if I leave my gun in the car briefly, I don't have to securely wrap or lock it up in the trunk? It cannot be considered concealed if I am not in the vehicle? I only ask, because I posted a similar question before and did not get any specific answers.
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?



  13. #13
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?
    LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:P

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?
    LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:P
    They must not have much crime down there and looking for anything.

    Now I know where I will go to retire!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    S&W1911 wrote:
    Yeah, I have heard about them. I live about 5 min from there in Portsmouth. Portsmouth police have gottin pretty bad to.
    Much better! Thanks, it is so much easier to read.:celebrate
    Thanks, im so use to text messaging that a bad habit to break>

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?
    LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:P
    They must not have much crime down there and looking for anything.

    Now I know where I will go to retire!
    No LEO, thats part of the problem.......Norfolk is riddled with true crime events........definitely no shortage of it there.........guess the LEOs are too busy dealing with "other" issues

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?
    LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:P
    They must not have much crime down there and looking for anything.

    Now I know where I will go to retire!
    Norfolk has a pretty high crime rate and its not getting any better.



  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    bayboy42 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?
    LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:P
    They must not have much crime down there and looking for anything.

    Now I know where I will go to retire!
    No LEO, thats part of the problem.......Norfolk is riddled with true crime events........definitely no shortage of it there.........guess the LEOs are too busy dealing with "other" issues
    I was kidding..... I am not going to retire down there either.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    kerchaulk wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
    Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

    Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

    Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.

    So, if I leave my gun in the car briefly, I don't have to securely wrap or lock it up in the trunk? It cannot be considered concealed if I am not in the vehicle? I only ask, because I posted a similar question before and did not get any specific answers.
    The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

    I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

    Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?

    I thought about that when he told me "ITS CONCEALED NOW AINT IT".

    Iwas reallytrying to avoida conflict.




  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
    Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

    Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

    Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.

    Im really kinda mad now:X. The more i think about it the more i wish i would have argued with him.

    Thank you for the info and il be sure to make my complaint.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    Another case of an officer just not knowing the law. ThatI really don't mind if they leave me alone, but when they try to Fudge and pretend they have a violation on you that is over the top.None of the cops I know personally do this kind of thing and are pissed when they see it happen.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    S&W1911 wrote:
    I'd first just like to say hi to everyone. I'm new to the OC board.

    Well, the story, I believe was a few months ago.

    My buddy, his girlfriend, and I were going to Hooters in Waterside to get some lunch.

    My buddy was driving my truck because I didn't feel like it. Its' a lifted F-250 diesel, and in the parking garage we had a little problem with the how tall my truck was.

    I was CCing till I sat on the window seal to watch and see if we were going to make it. There was a line of cars behind us as we drove in because we were going so slow.

    We finailly found a spot, and he backed in. I put my gun in the glove box because I was going have a beer with my lunch.

    Well, no sooner than I shut the door, 2 cops jump out of the car and run over to me saying, "I NEED TO SEE YOUR CC PERMIT!" in a "GET ON THE GROUND!" kind of voice.

    I guess this was the highlight of the day... "omg a gun lets get him".

    Well, anyways, I said "I don't need a permit, I don't even have it on me." He said "It's concealed in your truck now, ain't it?"

    "Well yeah."

    So I showed him my permit and his atitude completely changed, like "Damn it, I dont get to bust him now."

    Well, he said he saw it when I was sitting on the window, so did everybody else, and it wouldn't be a good idea to park there.

    I guess he was right so, we just parked up front.

    The cops were being real a$$holes until they saw I had a permit.

    Anyway, that's my only story so far.
    Eh, sorry. I needed the editing practice. I've been missing a lot of silly mistakes in my ENG111 class. (College Composition)

    That, and some people may not be able to translate from AOL.

    Be glad you got off lucky, there's a few people that are going to be having a *lot* of fun with the city of Norfolk in the next few months, because of much more overzealous reactions than this.

    Glad it ended the way it did, wish it hadn't have started.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    If the story went down EXACTLY as written here (even with the corrections AbNo made and the ones he missed), I have one more question....

    Why would the police officer say "It's concealed in your truck...."

    Too much missing here. Could be the start of good fiction, though.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    S&W1911 wrote:
    Im really kinda mad now:X. The more i think about it the more i wish i would have argued with him.

    Thank you for the info and il be sure to make my complaint.
    That's what next time is for

    Be sure to file a complaint.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    If the story went down EXACTLY as written here (even with the corrections AbNo made and the ones he missed), I have one more question....

    Why would the police officer say "It's concealed in your truck...."

    Too much missing here.* Could be the start of good fiction, though.
    I seem to recall that happening elsewhere recently, after someone was in a car accident.

    It ended up being ruled that, because he was not in the vehicle, and it was "not available for immediate use", or something similar, that it was not concealed.

    I'm sure someone around here knows what I am talking about.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •