• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 having hard time with hollow points

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Any suggestions about what I can do to get my 1911 to jam less with hollow points? I bought 4 boxes of federal premium 230 grain jacketed hollowpoints and they seem to jam the damn thing a lot. No problems from FMJ rounds, in fact after I put the stronger spring in there it hasnt jammed at all with the FMJ's.

stumped :?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Polish the feed ramp, then try HPs again. If they still don't work, you probably need the chamber throated.

A Dremel will do it, but if you've any doubt about your skill with said tool, get a pro to do it.

BTW, it's nothing to be worried about: LOTS of NIB 1911s -- regardless of the brand -- need this done in order to function with HPs, either at the factory or by the owner.

This is a VERY COMMON issue.

Good luck,

-- John D.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yeah, those should work.

But a problem is, you're supposed to shoot a few hundred rounds of whatever ammo you carry in order to be sure it's 100% reliable in your particular gun...how much would a few 100 rounds ofGlasers cost?

But really, you don't need no stinkin' HPs in a 1911...a .45 is ALREADY big and makes a big hole...it doesn't HAVE to expand.

Still, the Glasers probably would work AND stay inside the target with no overpenetration out the other side...they'd just be pretty expensive (I'm guessing, from previous experience buyingGlaser ammoyears ago).

-- John D.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Well perhaps I will try to pic up some of that powerball ammo. But I dont know of any good places to buy ammo online or what not. Do you fellas?

As far as the barrel and dremeling my gun... Is it really worth it to get that done? Couldnt I just sell this and get a nicer 1911? (Mine doesnt have much of anything fancy and I dont particularly like these old ww2 style sites, especially comparred to the 3 dot sites on my buddies XD) Perhaps I will just sell it and use the money to buy a taurus or a kimber or something. I WOULD like to get a blued gun... and sen dit off to a fella I know to get engraved... :cool:

Mainsail

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Any suggestions about what I can do to get my 1911 to jam less with hollow points? I bought 4 boxes of federal premium 230 grain jacketed hollowpoints and they seem to jam the damn thing a lot. No problems from FMJ rounds, in fact after I put the stronger spring in there it hasnt jammed at all with the FMJ's.

The 1911 wasn’t originally designed to feed hollow points, so it takes some tuning to the feed ramp and barrel to get them to feed reliably. I would NOT recommend you go anywhere near your pistol with a dremel tool. Find a real gunsmith, he’ll know what to do. Federal now makes a round nosed hollow point call an expanding full metal jacket (EFMJ) that should feed reliably and make a big hole.

massltca

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:

I would try Remington Golden Saber hollowpoints, I use them in both my 1911's and they are 100% reliable. I went with them originally because they are more rounded than most other brands. What type of 1911 do you have? Of my two my Springfield Armory milspec would be the one to choke on hollowpoints, my Para will feed anything.

Tomahawk

imported post

Those Federal EFMJ's look like they're worth checking out. I have a 1911 that doesn't give me problems with HP's, but I always practice with hardballs.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

What make of 1911 do you have? Some models aren't necessarily setup to feed JHP's. Also, you can try a different brand of JHP. Bullet design has a lot to do with what brand works inyour gun and what doesn't.

And for god's sake keep the dremel away from your feed ramp. More guns have been ruined by a dremel in the wrong hands than all other means combined.;)Get some Scotch Bright and lightly polish the feed ramp. That may very well fix your issue.

Also, if your 1911 is new, break it in with around 500 rounds of hard ball then try the JHP's again.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
What make of 1911 do you have? Some models aren't necessarily setup to feed JHP's. Also, you can try a different brand of JHP. Bullet design has a lot to do with what brand works inyour gun and what doesn't.

And for god's sake keep the dremel away from your feed ramp. More guns have been ruined by a dremel in the wrong hands than all other means combined.;)Get some Scotch Bright and lightly polish the feed ramp. That may very well fix your issue.

Also, if your 1911 is new, break it in with around 500 rounds of hard ball then try the JHP's again.

High Standard 1911. Its pretty basic I think. (I do not know as much about gun performance as I do with a chevy small block... haha) Nothing too fancy. Barrel appears standard, sights are old style... I grossly overpaid for it at a gun show back, I believe, when I knew nothing at all about guns. It IS pretty damn accurate though. The problem when I am messin up is definetly not the gun, its me.

pretty.jpg

I think I may buy a new 1911. I do like darker guns and do not care much for the stainless weapons that so many are so fond of selling... I suppose though I can get that shiny bastard blued. I am just wanting to buy something that will feed a tootsie roll if I so chose. Ha.

If you wanted to spend not more than 700 or so on a 1911 what would you buy?

Agent6-3/8

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Agent6-3/8 wrote:

High Standard 1911. Its pretty basic I think. (I do not know as much about gun performance as I do with a chevy small block... haha) Nothing too fancy. Barrel appears standard, sights are old style... I grossly overpaid for it at a gun show back, I believe, when I knew nothing at all about guns. It IS pretty damn accurate though. The problem when I am messin up is definetly not the gun, its me.

pretty.jpg

I think I may buy a new 1911. I do like darker guns and do not care much for the stainless weapons that so many are so fond of selling... I suppose though I can get that shiny bastard blued. I am just wanting to buy something that will feed a tootsie roll if I so chose. Ha.

If you wanted to spend not more than 700 or so on a 1911 what would you buy?

Ah, High Standards arepretty good guns, but they are one of the 1911's I was refering to above about not necessarily being intended to feed JHP's. I'd say a polish of the feed ramp will fix you up though.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

If you MUST go with a 1911... try Federal's EFMJ, like another poster said.

If you were stuck on a .45 but not necessarily a 1911... I'd go with a Sig 220, HK USP. 45, or XD .45... you still get the stopping power, but not the uncertainty when it comes to reliability.... those others are rock solid.

Corsair

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

+1 for the XD .45 and the Sig 220. Awesome guns.

those EFMJ's are pretty cool. Let's you use HP's without actually having HP's.

casullshooter

imported post

I own a Para S1445 1911 style .45 and it came with a match grade barrel from the factory. The barrel has an integral feed ramp and has been 100% reliable. Para also has the power extractor that is 50% larger thatn any other on the market. Go to paraord.com and take a look/see they have a larger line of 1911s than any other maker. Since you don't want SS you will see more options here. I bought SS because it is what I wanted , but get what suits you best.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
I own a Para S1445 1911 style .45 and it came with a match grade barrel from the factory. The barrel has an integral feed ramp and has been 100% reliable. Para also has the power extractor that is 50% larger thatn any other on the market. Go to paraord.com and take a look/see they have a larger line of 1911s than any other maker. Since you don't want SS you will see more options here. I bought SS because it is what I wanted , but get what suits you best.
My only concern with para is price :?

There really isnt anything much there to polish on my feedramp as its the conventional style ramped frame. I have considered the .45 XD but I honestly do not think I enjoy firing it as much and feel like Its a great gun with better capacity and all kinds of extra do dads but damn it... I dont think I am as accurate or confident with it vs the 1911. I think maybe the weight of the 1911 helps me out? I dunno. :?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

I am definetly thinking I am goign to take this opportunity to replace the gun with a kimber or a para. I am sort of in a toss up though... gotta say I am very tempted to get the para for the extra capacity. If you know of anyone selling a quality para or kimber, especially with a throated barrel and polished feedramp, let me know guys. :D

to that note: have you guys bought anything off of gunbroker.com? And do you know of any gun shops around northern virginia or nearby OTHER than blue ridge?

Michigander

imported post

Hollow points, by design flaw, are not the most reliable design available. That is why I too would suggest corbon powerballs. All the devastation of a HP, but with more reliability. It's hard to argue with that.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Well perhaps I will try to pic up some of that powerball ammo. But I dont know of any good places to buy ammo online or what not. Do you fellas?

As far as the barrel and dremeling my gun... Is it really worth it to get that done? Couldnt I just sell this and get a nicer 1911? (Mine doesnt have much of anything fancy and I dont particularly like these old ww2 style sites, especially comparred to the 3 dot sites on my buddies XD) Perhaps I will just sell it and use the money to buy a taurus or a kimber or something. I WOULD like to get a blued gun... and sen dit off to a fella I know to get engraved... :cool:
I got a Kimber Pro TLE/RL II that is Blued and I regret it due to the Blueing wears off.I which I had a Stainless one

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

1911 under $700? Springfield loaded (used), Springfield Mil-Spec (I just got one in stainless :p), Rock Island Armory Tactical (all the bells and whistles for less than $500!), High Standard Crusader (I have the compact. Again, all the bells and whistles for around $500).

Check out www.1911forums.com