• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 having hard time with hollow points

bourneshooter

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
1911 under $700? Springfield loaded (used), Springfield Mil-Spec (I just got one in stainless :p), Rock Island Armory Tactical (all the bells and whistles for less than $500!), High Standard Crusader (I have the compact. Again, all the bells and whistles for around $500).

Check out http://www.1911forums.com
Don't forget the Taurus PT1911. It is a very good pistol for $500-$600. I purchased mine before the price went up to $600. Only thing I had done is have the pistol grip pinned. I don't want to get into the reasons of why I did on this thread. Maybe on a different one at a later time.

IanB

imported post

I just bought a new Kimber Stainless Custom II on Saturday. I'll post pics later tonight. Took it to the range with Tomahawk Sunday night, it shoots very good. I'll be replacing the sights in the future though with Heinie SlantPro's which is what TH had on his gun. He let me shoot it (his gun), and lemme say, TH has a ringer of a gun! I think the target was out at 21 feet and I had them all in a nice tight group dead center.

Tomahawk

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just bought a new Kimber Stainless Custom II on Saturday. I'll post pics later tonight. Took it to the range with Tomahawk Sunday night, it shoots very good. I'll be replacing the sights in the future though with Heinie SlantPro's which is what TH had on his gun. He let me shoot it (his gun), and lemme say, TH has a ringer of a gun! I think the target was out at 21 feet and I had them all in a nice tight group dead center.

:)

Your Kimber's no slouch, either.

Mine's a Taurus PT1911, stock.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II, they recommend putting about 500 rounds through their guns to break them in. I had feed problems with it until I put about five or six hundred though it. I works great with hyroshock, cor-bon or winchester hollow points now.

I love my Kimber and plan on buying another one, and though I've never dealt with their customer service dept. I've heard nothing but good things about the experience.:)

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
Nope, thats a good price for a good gun.

think id be better served with the kimber custom 2?
like this?: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83352891

I find no mention of feedramps on either gun but the guy with the springfiedl sent me some pics:

PX9109LP-Feedramp-B.jpg

PX9109LP-Feedramp-A.jpg

I have also heard much praise for the pt1911 by taurus but honestly I am wary of the blued steel that so many tell me is so much work to maintain... The 1911 by Taurus however specifically states that it has a poilished ramp and what not.

any guidance woudl be appreciated.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Keep what you have...just take it to a competent pistolsmith and have the ramp done.
Likely around $50ish and it will feed empty cases. Both mine do and I did the work myself.....

IanB

imported post

My Custom II is still in the break in period, although I have put about 20 hollowpoints through it with narry a problem. It did have some issues with Blazer Brass FMJ's at the range last weekend, but some folks I've spoken with say the blazers are not smooth rounds (jacket is rough) so they have been known to hang up in 1911's.

67GT390FB

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
If you MUST go with a 1911... try Federal's EFMJ, like another poster said.

If you were stuck on a .45 but not necessarily a 1911... I'd go with a Sig 220, HK USP. 45, or XD .45... you still get the stopping power, but not the uncertainty when it comes to reliability.... those others are rock solid.

Corsair

I own an xd45 and love it as well as 1911'sbut comparing it to the proven reliability of almost 100 years in the 1911 is hard to swallow.

I found the following gospel and it is true:

[align=center]
jmblogo.gif

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts by Fr. Frog.
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer[/align]
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it,and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [suP]a[/suP]

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [suP]b[/suP] by the followers of John.

[suP]a [/suP]Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

[suP]b[/suP] or Hell

© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

For the faithful, the "feast day" of St. John Moses Browning is January 23.

Tomahawk

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
IdahoCorsair wrote:
If you MUST go with a 1911... try Federal's EFMJ, like another poster said.

If you were stuck on a .45 but not necessarily a 1911... I'd go with a Sig 220, HK USP. 45, or XD .45... you still get the stopping power, but not the uncertainty when it comes to reliability.... those others are rock solid.

Corsair

I own an xd45 and love it but comparing it to the proven reliability of almost 100 years in the 1911 is hard to swallow.

I found the following gospel and it is true:

[align=center]
jmblogo.gif

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts by Fr. Frog.
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer[/align]
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it,and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [suP]a[/suP]

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [suP]b[/suP] by the followers of John.

[suP]a [/suP]Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

[suP]b[/suP] or Hell

© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

For the faithful, the "feast day" of St. John Moses Browning is January 23.
I've seen that before and it's truly a great writing.

I have nothing against the dog-chew toys, plan on getting myself one one of these days, but it's funny to poke fun at those blasphemers of John.

Marco

imported post

+P isusually below what SAAMI allows as a maximum for that cartidge.
+P+ usually exceeds SAMMI specs

there might be a valid fear of excessive wear in low quality or OLDfirearms

Remember this is carry ammo not range practice stuff a few hundred to insure reliability each yr should be fine

Marco

imported post

hlh wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
+P isusually below what SAAMI allows as a maximum for that cartidge.
+P+ usually exceeds SAMMI specs

there might be a valid fear of excessive wear in low quality or OLDfirearms

Remember this is carry ammo not range practice stuff a few hundred to insure reliability each yr should be fine
If I can't practice with it, I don't want to carry it.

no onestated you couldn't practice with it
that would be a personal choice
My Colt Delta Elite is 17yrs old no problemsit eats Corbon only:shock:
20yr old HK P7 M8 shoots mostly Nato spec ball butI carry DT124gr HP
My Glock is 5+yrs old and eats full power 10mm only:what:
I change recoil spring/striker spring twice a yr, over 10,000 rds so far no problems(THE ONLY REASON I KNOW HOW MANY RDS MY G20 HAS FIRED, IT IS THE ONLY 10MM I HAVE SHOT IN3 YRS, AMMO USE TO BE A TAX RIGHT OFF)
My Vintage 1911's won't ever fire anything other than standard pressure loads
Most use inexpensive practice ammo and only shot a few Hundred of carry ammo to confirm reliability

Edit: Disclaimer:D
IMNAGS
using Carry(P+/+P+) ammo will definately increase your ammo cost and might increase firearm wear

Marco

imported post

that is a personal choice and I totally understand the reason behind it.:cool:
it was a suggestion for someone whose gun is having problems feeding HP's
my caliber choice doesn't offer +P or +P+ just full power or lite ;)

Tomahawk

imported post

If they make EFMJs in standard loads I would prefer that. I like to practice fairly regularly and don't want to stress metal unnecessarily. I like my firearms and certainly don't want to get to the point where I'm changing springs twice a year!

Marco

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I like my firearms and certainly don't want to get to the point where I'm changing springs twice a year!

Me Too!
there is always Corbon Power-Ball

I shot 10mm which is a higher pressure cartridge than 45acp.
The spring thing is admittedly over kill, but it makes me feel better.