• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 having hard time with hollow points

IanB

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
With .454 Casull, no ++ needed its already in there........
Dang braggarts we have on this forum...

:monkey:celebrate:monkey

IanB

imported post

Nah...

I'm not a fan of wheelguns, expensive ammo, or hunting elephants with a handgun. :lol:

And... I'm really falling in love with this Kimber. Just got my Serpa holster in the mail this evening so it's time to hit the town with it.

casullshooter

imported post

Kimbers feel great in the hand and look great too. I have never fired one . When I bought my 1911 I set my max.$@1,000 and I wanted high capacity which led to Para. I stayed within budget by $12 and I do like being able to have 15 rds. of .45 ready to go without an extended mag.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Give Hornady's line of JHP's a try (XTP's), as they have the smallest hollowpoint cavity profileof any of the JHP's out there. I've come to prefer their TAP-FPD loading of 230gr+P for my own Kimber 1911, as it is reliable, accurate, consistent, and uses a low-flash powder.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I'm not a fan of wheelguns, expensive ammo, or hunting elephants with a handgun

At 48 and a former gunsmith and a lifelong shooter, I have seen some stuff.

I wish to make the case for the Model 29/329 DA revolver as simply the best weapon for self defense made.

For the past 5 years I have been carrying a Model 29 S&W above all others. This after 21 years of carrying a variety of pistols and revolvers. For those looking for a lighter weight weapon, the 329 Titanium is a viable alternative. In my experience no automatic can match the S&W N frame revolver for reliability, accuracy, flexibility and power; as well as beautiful trigger pull, highest quality construction and natural pointing ability (with good grips).

I am not alone in this assessment. Recently the famous Thunder Ranch announced that they were going to endorse a weapon as representing the very best self defense option from the average person to the expert. The 1911 crowd began to accept congratulations and write articles that basically said "Of course it is a 1911, after all Col. Cooper was a 1911 freak. We just don't know WHICH 1911 it will be (Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc.)". The G## (Glock) crowd began to write articles which said "Maybe this will be our moment". Several of the smaller manufactures (Sig, eea began to whisper about their .357 Sig being bought by Government agencies and they hoped THEY might be picked).

Thunder Ranch picked a fixed sight 4" S&W N frame in .44 Special!

The reason for choosing this weapon? Utter reliability. The entire concept of feeding jams, magazine spring weakness, double feeds, squib loads, failure to strip a round, failure to eject, stovepipe jams,weak hand jam, malfunction drills, extractor tension, ejector tuning, mag lips, bullet profile, feed ramp smoothness, etc. is irrelevant. There is no need to burn up 200 rounds to make sure a certain load is reliable in you weapon, because they always will be. (Is 200 rounds a good test? What happens when your shooting your $23.00 per 20 = 200 or $230.00 of test Super Zapper ammo and and you jam on round #190? Was it you or the gun? Do you clean and check the weapon for broken or mis-installed parts and then go out and buy another $230 bucks of ammo to re-test? Are you firing from the hip to check weak handed jams? (Try shooting weak handed from the hip and watch it jam).

How many times have you been to the range and seen the bloke next to you “working” to get his weapon to feed or clearing a jam? I see it every time I go. And whilerevolver shootersremove our brass carefully, the pistol sprays hot brass all over (When one goes down your shirt, we snicker).

Reloading speed? Look 99% of the time you are going to finish your opponent in the first 3 rounds. Cases show that if you haven’t gotten your head together by then, you will blaze the mag empty and die. Even then, I can reload my M29 as fast as a regular guy can reload his 1911. If you don’t carry backup ammo and you have an eight round 1911, what is your argument against the S&W eight round .357 Mag revolver? See Picture below.

Accuracy? 2" at fifty yards (Yes, fifty). ‘Nuff said.

Caliber? Compared to a 9mm, the 0.429 bullet is already expanded when it hits the perp. Then it opens, violently.

Flexibility? Bullet profile is entirely irrelevant. LSWC, JHC, JHP, FMJ all fire with equal enthusiasm. Wax loads for indoor practice, shotshells, paintball, blanks, lead, lead jacketed, full copper, everything.

Horsepower?Power can be throttled from 250 grain SWC @750 FPS (Cowboy loads) to a 165 grain JHP @1050fps in .44 Special. The same weapon in 44 magnum will take the same loads in 44 Special as well as a 180 grain bullet @1600 FPS or 320 grain LFP @1000 hunting loads. This flexibility in bullet weight is because the weapon is not relying on recoil slide speed and powder burn rate to operate the mechanisms. Power is also completely adjustable for the same reason. Conversely, +P cartridges in the automatic tend to be less reliable (more prone to jamming the gun) and can even beat some guns to death.

And don’t discount the importance of horsepower. Shocking (Stopping) power is important. An automatic is reliable only within a narrow range of fps and bullet weight and bullet profile. A revolver can take the best bullet and best weight and push it as fast as necessary to be reliable in expansion with literally no consideration to profile or FPS or bullet weight in terms of their effect on reliability.

Horsepower is also a factor in tactics. There is a school of thought that a weapon that makes normal cover transparent (including cars, furniture, doors, interior walls, etc) gives you a powerful edge. Bad guy uses the cover of a wall, and you shoot through the wall[/b][/i]. Bad guy ducks behind car door and you shoot through the door.[/b][/i] By denying the enemy any cover at all, you change the tactical scenario completely.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I love 1911s. I hate 1911s.

I love how they look and feel. I like how they can be customized.

But, I cannot seem to find one that is reliable. I place the blame SOLELY on the manufacturers who do NOT conform to the design specification.

Springfield Armory Compact: crap
Kimber Tactical Ultra II: double crap
Springfield Armory Loaded: thought it wasn't crap, but turned into crap

I'll buy another 1911 some day. It's probably better to go with a higher end gun built by a reputable gunsmith (or custom shop) that offers excellent support and service. When I do get another 1911, it will most likely be a high end gun (or start out as a basic gun and go to a high end gunsmith). Given the quality of what's made today, this is probably your safest bet.

Spectre

imported post

I just bought a Smith and Wesson 1911 PD model. Anyone know if there any problems with it feeding Hydrashoks, or Golden Sabers? If it does, anyone have a suggestion to what I can use in a defense round?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

I do not mean to necro a thread but I thought others with a similair concern might wish to know that I basically solved this problem by cleaning the gun, buying some wilson combat hybrid magazines, and ditching the spring in it for a slightly lighter one.Virtually no problems now. Rarely jams now.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Barring an actual manufacturing defect, or worn out parts, 99.99999999% of 1911 "reliability" problems can be solved with one simple, and cheap step. Use the right magazines. That doesn't mean the whiz-bang Chip McWilson TactiShootingStar mags, it means GI 7 round magazines.

It amazes me how many people will ruin feed ramps and fight with guns all for the sake of a single extra round per magazine. Buy quality 7 rounders and watch your problems go away.

But, but, but my 8 round Wilson Combat magazines work fine in my Super Kimber Ultra Covert Carry XIV! Quality 7 rounders work all the time with all kinds of bullet ogives in all types of guns. Ignore JMB's magazine design at your own peril.

curtm1911

imported post

My Taurus and Springfields run Winchester White Box 230 grn. JHP with no problems. The bullet shape is close to FMJ and the hollow point is plenty big enough IMO. 1 gallon water jugs pop nicely, and the bullet expands good enough for me. Give'em a try. not too pricey either, all things considered.