• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure what to think of this...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

With regards to straw purchases...

Mainly because very little information is given, I'm not sure what to think of this:

http://wdel.com/video/?v=wilmington.wmv

Listening to the report on the radio on the way in, I believe I heard that they plan to do this by tracing guns that are recovered in crimes back to the original purchasers in order to punish them as well.

I have no idea how they'd do this as anyone can sell to another person of legal age in the state without an FFL transfer. So a weapon could potentially pass through 5-10 owners before being stolen or passed on, illegally, to a teenager.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

After a bit of digging, I've found the full text of the resolution:

WHEREAS, an estimated 30,000 Americans are killed each year as a result of gun violence; and

WHEREAS, many of the guns used in these crimes are purchased legally from a licensed firearms dealer by a buyer who is in reality an intermediary in the purchase; and

Note: Never seen this statistic anywhere before.

WHEREAS, the intermediary is used to hide the identity of the true purchaser or ultimate possessor of the firearm. These "straw purchases" and thefts are the most common ways that persons prohibited from possessing firearms to acquire them; and

Note: See how they snuck in 'thefts' there...

WHEREAS, there is a need for the police to identify the source of these straw purchases and hold everyone involved accountable for gun violence in our community; and

Note: If it WAS a straw purchase, sure... don't know if the gun has been sold several times before getting into the hands of a kid. Are they going to arrest EVERYONE?

WHEREAS, the City of Philadelphia is currently in a partnership with the U.S Attorney to identify, arrest and prosecute persons involved in straw purchase of firearms; and

Note: What does this have to do with it?

WHEREAS, City Council recognizes that it is important to determine the source of firearms that are in the hands of prohibited persons and that are used to promulgate gun violence in our City.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF WILMINGTON, that the City Council requests that the Wilmington Police Department, the Wilmington City Solicitor's Office, the Delaware Attorney General and the Delaware U.S. Attorney trace firearms seized, found or turned in to the police back to their sources and develop and initiative to target persons involved in straw purchases of firearms in the City of Wilmington.

Note: If the gun is found or turned in and not used in the commission of the crime, how's that going to do anything but waste time?

*Edited with my emphasis.*

Demarest

imported post

Scare tactic. Anti's know they can't take our guns from us, so they try to take us down one at a time or, as we see here, try to convince us into handing them over by choice. This tactic is meant to scare people out of A) ever touching a firearm and B) engaging in a lawful private sale of the same. Plus, it's another example of blaming everybody and everything except the guilty.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know what kind of legal bearing a city council resolution has or if the police simply take them under advisement or even if they're remotely challengeable. Seems more like a political move than anything else.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
I don't know what kind of legal bearing a city council resolution has or if the police simply take them under advisement or even if they're remotely challengeable. Seems more like a political move than anything else.
Not to mention that it seems to be relying on the illegal handgun registry of the PSP.

And, I was under the impression that private sales were illegal in PA unless done through an FFL (or Sheriff, even though none do it).

Regardless, I wonder whether the writers of the resolution intend to hold responsible gun owners whose guns are stolen from them and then used in crimes? It seems like they'd have to do that, or otherwise there would be a lot of thefts soon after purchases...

ETA: I also see some preemption issues, but that hasn't stopped other municipalities from trying...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

And, I was under the impression that private sales were illegal in PA unless done through an FFL (or Sheriff, even though none do it).
I believe these are Federal laws... Dealer to person requires a background check, I assume it's recorded in an FFL's log. Person to person within the same state doesn't require a transfer. Person to Person in another state requires an FFL in the receiving state to take the weapon and transfer it to the new owner.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
I believe these are Federal laws... Dealer to person requires a background check, I assume it's recorded in an FFL's log. Person to person within the same state doesn't require a transfer. Person to Person in another state requires an FFL in the receiving state to take the weapon and transfer it to the new owner.

Well, the last time I checked, all transactions except where a gun is given to someone from a grandparent or parent requires it be recorded in an FFL's log. That's why the only handgun I have to carry is a large-frame revolver, as while I have the money to buy a 1911, my parents do not have the money to buy one for me as a gift... as I'm 20 years old and not an "adult" yet, as defined by the government. Anyway, rant over, but private sales, IIRC, require FFL or Sheriff's record in PA.