View Poll Results: How do you feel about ex-policecars

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think they are for wannabe cops who probably have a CWP badge too

    5 10.64%
  • I think they are great, affordable cars

    10 21.28%
  • I drive one

    0 0%
  • It's just a car

    32 68.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Retired Ford Crown Victorias

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    OK, so I know that there are going to be some differing opinions on the subject, so I wanted to see what people think of the retired police cars that we see some people in the Open Carry community driving.

    Some people think that they are great cars at an affordable price, and some people think that the person shouldn't combine OC with trying to look like a cop.

    PersonallyI am usually very skeptical of people that drive police cars and OC. I'm not saying that they are all trying to play dress-up, I'm just a little more skeptical unless I've gotten to know them. To me, it seems likea lot of them are just acting out a fantasy of being a plain-clothes cop. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I hope I'm wrong.

    I thought this topic would go well with the CWP Badge debate.

    So... what are your opinions?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    I personally don't like them, but it's just a car, after all. Perhaps there should be some stricter rules about "de-copping" them before selling them off. Remove the spotlight, for starters, and anything else that makes it look like a cruiser.

    When I was in the USMCR there was a guy in my reserve unit who was a cop in DC. He was talking about these old cars one day and he was bragging about how whenever he saw one, especiallyin "the hood", he would pull them over and give them crap. I asked him if the drivers were doing something illegal, and he said usually not. So of course I asked why he pulls themover and he tells me it's "because they can impersonate police officers".

    I gave up trying to reason with him, as he seemed to have his mind made up and at the time we were busy and I had no time for a long argument. But two things stuck in my mind ever since: Cops will often pull you over because of their personal opinions rather than because you were witnesed breaking the law, and I do not want to be driving one of those cars. Ever. Especially when carrying.

    Unless you spend the time and money and refurbish it so it looks like a normal car, you may be placing yourself in a bad situation. YMMV

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Unless you spend the time and money and refurbish it so it looks like a normal car, you may be placing yourself in a bad situation. YMMV
    I'd think only if you use it in the manner you described. Crown Vics are nice because they're full sized, roomy, have a nice wide wheelbase and a lot of trunk space -- if you can get one cheap, more power to you... Just don't be suprised to find some blood, spit or other fluids in the backseat of the car...




  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    "4. It's just a car"

    I think some people have WAY too much time on their hands...





  5. #5
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    It's just a car.

    I have a car that does look a little like a cop car, but itnever was one. If retired cop cars aren't good, then the government should ban all Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Chevy Malibus, and Marauders. It's easy to tell the difference; just look at the plates. Government vehicles have difference plates than private citizens.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    "4. It's just a car"

    I think some people have WAY too much time on their hands...



    Like, for instance, the DC police officer I spoke of...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    134

    Post imported post

    It's only a car. If you like that kind of paint job then more power to you. It's pretty obvious to anyone driving that they aren't cop cars due to the lack of a light bar.

  8. #8
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Particle wrote:
    It's pretty obvious to anyone driving that they aren't cop cars due to the lack of a light bar.
    I'm just playing the devil's advocate, but many police cars around here (Ohio) are unmarked without light bars.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    I voted "it's just a car", but they realy are nice cars. There is a reason that they were made into crusers, and you can usualy pick them up cheap at an auction. Not a bad deal most of the time.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    It's just a car.

    I have a car that does look a little like a cop car, but itnever was one. If retired cop cars aren't good, then the government should ban all Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Chevy Malibus, and Marauders. It's easy to tell the difference; just look at the plates. Government vehicles have difference plates than private citizens.
    Nobody said anything about banning them. I think you should have the right to own just about anything under the sun that your little heart desires. The question isn't whether people should be allowed to own them, but rather does driving an ex cop car (some still even with the pusher bars, spotlights, etc..) while open carrying make you a wannabe cop, or is it just a car.

    I personally think that it can go either way. But we all know that there are guys out there that wear a bunch of 5.11 clothing, drive a cop car, open carry, have a CWP badge, a police scanner, and handcuffs on their "duty belt". Now none of those things are necessarily a bad thing by themselves, but in combination they can spell impersonation.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    expvideo wrote:
    To me, it seems likea lot of them are just acting out a fantasy of being a plain-clothes cop. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I hope I'm wrong.
    I love mine; it’s fast, handles like a sports car, gets 21+ MPG, has plenty of room, stops so fast it’s frightening, and it’s a great platform for ham radio. I know it might seem odd, but I have many hobbies, firearms are only one of them. I don’t wanna-be a cop so that had nothing to do with my decision to purchase one.

    Is it fun to drive? Of course it is. I haven’t seen even one incident of road rage since I’ve gotten it. I think there should be more of them on the road, people behave much more courteously when they think there are police around.

    If this sort of ignorance was applied to firearms, you would all be stomping your feet and rending your garments. You are not a cop wanna-be when you OC, but someone driving a P71 and OCing is? That’s human nature I guess. This group bashes that group because they own guns; a segment of the gun owners bashes another segment over open carry or hunting. It seems like everyone has to have something to feel superior about. Instead of forming your opinion of someone based on stereotypes, wouldn’t it be better to actually meet them, talk to them, and base your judgment on that? I know one gay man who proved a lot of stereotypes wrong.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    Mainsail wrote:
    expvideo wrote:
    To me, it seems likea lot of them are just acting out a fantasy of being a plain-clothes cop. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I hope I'm wrong.
    I love mine; it’s fast, handles like a sports car, gets 21+ MPG, has plenty of room, stops so fast it’s frightening, and it’s a great platform for ham radio. I know it might seem odd, but I have many hobbies, firearms are only one of them. I don’t wanna-be a cop so that had nothing to do with my decision to purchase one.

    Is it fun to drive? Of course it is. I haven’t seen even one incident of road rage since I’ve gotten it. I think there should be more of them on the road, people behave much more courteously when they think there are police around.

    If this sort of ignorance was applied to firearms, you would all be stomping your feet and rending your garments. You are not a cop wanna-be when you OC, but someone driving a P71 and OCing is? That’s human nature I guess. This group bashes that group because they own guns; a segment of the gun owners bashes another segment over open carry or hunting. It seems like everyone has to have something to feel superior about. Instead of forming your opinion of someone based on stereotypes, wouldn’t it be better to actually meet them, talk to them, and base your judgment on that? I know one gay man who proved a lot of stereotypes wrong.
    I've met you, and I know that you are not a wannabe cop. You have a very, very nice crown vic, btw (kind of made me want to consider one). You are absolutely not the kind of stereotype that frustrates me. It's the ones that try to act like cops. In fact, you are a lot of the reason that I was rational enough to say "not all of them". So don't think that I'm trying to cast a bad light on you, mainsail. You are an excellantexample of the kind of person that can OC and drive an ex cop car without seeming like you just want everyone to think you're a cop.

    Unfortunately, there are some people that are not like you, that do like people to mistake them for cops and want to pretend that they have some kind of authority.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    76

    Post imported post

    It's just a car, just as long as you don't mind having everone around you slow down to the speed limit. That would drive me crazy.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    drkarrow wrote:
    It's just a car, just as long as you don't mind having everone around you slow down to the speed limit. That would drive me crazy.
    Especially when they're in front of you
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  15. #15
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

    Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.

  16. #16
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Post imported post

    I drive a 1985 Dodge Diplomat police package. Only thing is I bought it brand spanking new in 1985! I had a Federal rotating bar in the back window (Clear). Ironically, my agency required the lightbar to be covered when not in use. Cops hated that, because they did not know what color it was. Agency was emergency management. Still drive it today, although it is sluggish and I go through a few cans of white spray paint keeping the rust white.

  17. #17
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    871

    Post imported post

    Superlite27 wrote:
    If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

    Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.
    "Most" police departments don't retire their cars on a mileage basis, rather on a fixed schedule of age that has nothing to do tiwth the actual mileage.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Superlite27 wrote:
    If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

    Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.
    Not to mention any kind of company car, former rental car, or vehicle used primarily by people who didn't own it tends to be beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    j2l3 wrote:
    Superlite27 wrote:
    If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

    Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.
    "Most" police departments don't retire their cars on a mileage basis, rather on a fixed schedule of age that has nothing to do tiwth the actual mileage.
    Actually, I think you'll find many (especially smaller) departments retire their cars on a 'there's money available to buy new ones' schedule. And yes, that doesn't have anything to do with the milage either. Used cop cars can be all over the place in terms of condition, pay attention if you're going to buy one...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  20. #20
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    I had to say it and I also believe that: It's just_a_car.

    ROFL!

    Sorry, had to make the joke, since you put it out there.

    But I like the idea of driving one in the future not only as a way to make people drive safer around me, but also because I've heard of people getting out of "should have received a ticket" situations, just because they were driving a Crown-Vic.

    And I am more than happy to let people driving around me to think I'm an undercover cop if it makes them drive safer around me. I have no issues with people being safer because of their mis-assumptions.

    Do I want to be a cop? I've considered it as an employment option, but it would be in the Forensics division, due to my working towards a B.S. in chemistry. It's certainly not my first choice, since there's much more out there to be had that's more interesting and more lucrative. Would I drive a Crown Vic just to look like a cop? Heck no; I would buy it for the spaciousness, durability, and handling. Plus, they're a very aesthetically-pleasing vehicle.

    It also helps that I was brought-up a Ford-guy. First car was an '88 T-bird and second car was a 1972 Mach1 Mustang. I only drive the 91 Honda CRX because of gas milage and parking around the UW; I've never gotten less than 30 MPG (usually 32-35) and it's a very tiny and maneuverable vehicle.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Superlite27 wrote:
    If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

    Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.
    Going to agree with this fine member.....

    I would NEVER buy one!!

    We rag the hell out of those cars and they are nasty inside after 80,000 miles plus. The inside is damaged from all the stuff that was installed and modified. Not worth getting unless your going to use it as a taxi.

    I have actually been to one the auctions in Richmond and they were going to way too much money.


  22. #22
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    The best police car ever?

    The Dodge Monaco, of course, vehicle of choice in the Blues Brothers movie.

    ELWOOD (Dan Aykroyd): You don't like it?

    JAKE (John Belushi): No, I don't like it. (Elwood floors it and jumps over an open drawbridge)

    JAKE: Of course, it's got a lot of pickup.

    ELWOOD: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile, or what?

    JAKE: Fix the cigarette lighter.






  23. #23
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    I picked up mine with about 65,000 miles on it, and other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent condition. The back seat and floor look newer than the rest of the car. It rides smooth and stable at any speed, including 115 MPH.



  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Mainsail wrote:
    I picked up mine with about 65,000 miles on it, and other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent condition. The back seat and floor look newer than the rest of the car. It rides smooth and stable at any speed, including 115 MPH.
    There can be a few that are nice and that is low mileage too!!



  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Superstition Mountain, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    424

    Post imported post

    My best friend bought an ex-Michigan State Police Caprice. Anyone who's been in Michigan knows how distictive their deep blue coloring is. Even without the push bumpers and the bubble on top, he's received the wave and no further attention from a lot of cops in Michigan - regardless of his speed.

    (Of course, in the people's republic of Kali, he was pulled over and not released until he removed the extra brake lights from the rear window. @ssholes......)

    That Caprice was definitely a nice cruising car; it had the LT1 Corvette motor and some big, soft, comfy seats. Perfect for cross-country trips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •