• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retired Ford Crown Victorias

How do you feel about ex-policecars

• I think they are for wannabe cops who probably have a CWP badge too

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think they are great, affordable cars

• I drive one

• It's just a car

• Total voters

LEO 229

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
If it's a USED cop car, it must be a pile of crap. If it were still good.......it would still be a cop car.

Just what I've always wanted, a car with 465,385 miles on it where almost every passenger has hawked a loogie on the floorboard.
Going to agree with this fine member.....

I would NEVER buy one!!

We rag the hell out of those cars and they are nasty inside after 80,000 miles plus. The inside is damaged from all the stuff that was installed and modified. Not worth getting unless your going to use it as a taxi.

I have actually been to one the auctions in Richmond and they were going to way too much money.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The best police car ever?

The Dodge Monaco, of course, vehicle of choice in the Blues Brothers movie.

ELWOOD (Dan Aykroyd): You don't like it?

JAKE (John Belushi): No, I don't like it. (Elwood floors it and jumps over an open drawbridge)

JAKE: Of course, it's got a lot of pickup.

ELWOOD: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile, or what?

JAKE: Fix the cigarette lighter.

bluesmobile.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

I picked up mine with about 65,000 miles on it, and other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent condition. The back seat and floor look newer than the rest of the car. It rides smooth and stable at any speed, including 115 MPH.

38988186-181e-4918-bdbb-a8dd0d9c886f.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I picked up mine with about 65,000 miles on it, and other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent condition. The back seat and floor look newer than the rest of the car. It rides smooth and stable at any speed, including 115 MPH.
There can be a few that are nice and that is low mileage too!!

mzbk2l

imported post

My best friend bought an ex-Michigan State Police Caprice. Anyone who's been in Michigan knows how distictive their deep blue coloring is. Even without the push bumpers and the bubble on top, he's received the wave and no further attention from a lot of cops in Michigan - regardless of his speed.

(Of course, in the people's republic of Kali, he was pulled over and not released until he removed the extra brake lights from the rear window. @ssholes......)

That Caprice was definitely a nice cruising car; it had the LT1 Corvette motor and some big, soft, comfy seats. Perfect for cross-country trips.

nickerj1

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
And I am more than happy to let people driving around me to think I'm an undercover cop if it makes them drive safer around me.

You mean an unmarked cop, right? :D

Being someone who dabbles in plainclothes surveillance, we would never, ever be caught driving a crown vic. They're wayyy too conspicious. Minivans are where it's at.

unrequited

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
Being someone who dabbles in plainclothes surveillance, we would never, ever be caught driving a crown vic.  They're wayyy too conspicious.  Minivans are where it's at.
...stalking me 'cause you think I'm cute isn't plainclothes surveillance. > )

expvideo

imported post

unrequited wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:
Being someone who dabbles in plainclothes surveillance, we would never, ever be caught driving a crown vic. They're wayyy too conspicious. Minivans are where it's at.
...stalking me 'cause you think I'm cute isn't plainclothes surveillance. > )

ROFLMAO

BTW, Mainsail, that crown vic is probably the nicest one I've ever seen. I saw it at the picnic and it is in amazing shape.

nickerj1

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Great. So now I need to wear my tinfoil hat when I see minivans? What next, paperboys on bikes?

If you haven't been doing anything naughty, you don't have to worry. :lol:

Everyone I work with uses different vehicles, though. Mostly 4-door sedans like toyotas or hondas. A few minivans. One guy rotates rental cars every so often. A couple guys have pickup trucks when we need to go rural.

So you'd best just keep that tinfoil hat on 24/7. :p

USN_MA1

imported post

I think the Crown Vic is a great platform, very nice car. If getting one as a retired patrol unit because its a better deal...so be it!

Michigander

imported post

A- Anyone who buys a CV because of being a wanna be cop is a dork who should seek mental help.

B- Police smash their engines and transmissions by pushing their cars to the limits all the time. Paying extrato have a former cop car instead of the typicalcheap CV an old dude bought before he died or lost the ability to drive is idiotic. The differences between Interceptors and regular LX models are slight. Sometimes the exhaust is a little bit more aggressive, the gear ratio may or may not be different, there will be a slightly stronger aluminum drive shaft worth a few hundred bucks, the computer will allow it to go140 instead of 108and rev higher (easily and cheaplyadjusted on all models with a flash computer), and the shocks will be more geared towards going fast instead of comfort.

Normally, around here,a used PI goes for 4 grand if in good condition. If you're like me and love crown victoria's because they are good, workablecars, it would make far more sense to get a Marauder or buy a second hand old man car and build it up.

just_a_car

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
And I am more than happy to let people driving around me to think I'm an undercover cop if it makes them drive safer around me.

You mean an unmarked cop, right? :D

Indeed, I mean one of the white unmarked CV's with the push-bumper and the spotlamp on the driver and/or passenger side. And you're right, they are VERY conspicuous; I can spot the headlights or taillights at night out of the corner of my eye almost instinctively. They're just that distinct (just like the Chevy Lumina and Mercury Grand Marquis that are essentially the same car and also used as police vehicles). It's easy to spot the Chevy Impala from the back, but I'm still working on differentiating the headlights.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Michigander wrote:
A- Anyone who buys a CV because of being a wanna be cop is a dork who should seek mental help.

B- Police smash their engines and transmissions by pushing their cars to the limits all the time. Paying extrato have a former cop car instead of the typicalcheap CV an old dude bought before he died or lost the ability to drive is idiotic. The differences between Interceptors and regular LX models are slight. Sometimes the exhaust is a little bit more aggressive, the gear ratio may or may not be different, there will be a slightly stronger aluminum drive shaft worth a few hundred bucks, the computer will allow it to go140 instead of 108and rev higher (easily and cheaplyadjusted on all models with a flash computer), and the shocks will be more geared towards going fast instead of comfort.

Normally, around here,a used PI goes for 4 grand if in good condition. If you're like me and love crown victoria's because they are good, workablecars, it would make far more sense to get a Marauder or buy a second hand old man car and build it up.

A- Anyone who buys aGUN because of being a wanna be cop is a dork who should seek mental help.

NightOwl

imported post

They're great cars, if you make sure it's in halfway decent condition before you buy it. Nice engine, plenty of legroom (I'm tall), comfortable, all around a good vehicle to drive.

Now don't buy them, so the price drops, thanks.

M

McX

imported post

I drive a 93 BMW 740i............is that one ok?

rodbender

imported post

The nice thing about ex-cop cars is that everything is heavy duty. Brakes, tranny, suspension, and the engine is usually the most horsepower you can get from that particular manufacturer. I think they are great, but try not to get a regular marked cruiser, those things get extra abused. Try for the ones that were used by detectives and upper brass.

Sheriff

imported post

If you really want to view the mindset of guys who purchase old auctioned off Ford Crown Victoria police interceptors, visit....

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Flip through the various threads in each section and take notice of the signature images of many of their cars.

Here's a nice thread to start with. How do you make an old cop car look even more like an active in service police car?

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1852329#Post1852329

Carnivore

imported post

I ain't worried about any type of vehicle, I don't do anything to be paranoid about.. My only vice in life is that I CAN'T DRIVE 55 !! unless of course the speed limit is less than 55.. My worst probable conviction in life would be a speeding ticket .

Drive what you want, I'll make a pretty accurate analysis on someones personality / disposition based of a couple of sentenances of conversation. if any interaction is necessary. Crown Vics. don't signal any hint of alarm foe me..

If I remember right, any original factory installed equipment on a vehicle is Legal. whether Johnny Law likes it or not, Vehicle manufacturers do not install anything on a vehicle that isn't D.O.T. approved.. I did set in court once and watch a fella pay a $75 fine for having some $35aftermarket flashing turn signals mounted in his rear window..Oh they were pretty, but they weren't D.O.T. aproved