• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, I finally took the plunge into the world of OC. I've been very reluctant to try this thanks to what the State Police had told me. I have OC'd around my house,outside on my property, and evenon the street/sidewalk down to the corner. But I've never gone beyond thatbefore.

Early last eveningmy fiancee called me from her work to tell me she'd like to go out for dinner after she got off work. Keep in mind that she works the 3:00pm-11:30pm. She wanted to go to a diner that's open 24/7 (we've been there before). I saidOK (of course). While I was waiting for my pickup time, I had a thought: it'll be late at night, and probably not many people will be there, and I don't recall a "no firearms" sign, somaybe tonight will be a good day totest the OC waters in Wilmington/New Castle.

So, I did. And I tried to remember all the "rules" about firearms and OC here. I kept it in "plain view" while in the car by putting it up on the dashboard (the little dip from the defroster is a perfect place to keep it from sliding around). I had my shirt tucked in (no change from what I wear to work), so as to make the OWB and gun totally visible and not concealed in any way (since I don't have my CCDW permit). I kept my hand off of it so no one thought I was drawing it. I used the stall in the bathroom so no one could "get" it from me (and I didn't drop it somehow). I think I covered all the bases.

Peoples' reactions? It was mixed, and MUCH better than I anticipated. I thought for sure someonewould "freak out" or say something or ask me if I'm LEO/military, or worse yet: call the police. I actually expected the police to show up after 15 minutes of being there. I expectedour waitress to ask me about it (she HAD to have noticed, since it was facing "out" in the booth). I expected someone to say something, especially when we were waiting in line to pay, and a bunch of guys were sitting around the cash register talking. I know a few of them saw it. I mean, there were at least 20 other people there last night, and no one said a word.:)

And I'm totally OK with that. I didn't want anything to happen ( especially police involvement). I didn't want to have to "justify" my carrying a firearm to anyone.A few people did give me a double-take kind of look, and the guy clearing tables kept standing "near" our table. My fiancee said that their looks were more of a "OK, let's keep an eye on this guy" and not a "Holy crap! a gun!" kind of a thing.

Overall, my first OC experience was an uneventful one, and I like that! I felt comfortable carrying a gun in public. I wasn't nervous at all. I did keep an eye out for people being near me (especially walking up past me from behind). I kept "cool" during the whole time, not drawing attention to myself, andbehaving like I had every right to carry a firearm (which I do). I was surprised that no one said a word about it, but again, I prefer that.

Well, I just thought I'd share my story w/ everyone. I'm not an OC virgin anymore!

Whoo hoo!! :celebrate

Edited to add: Oh, in case anyone was wondering, I was carrying my Springfield Armory XD-9 service model, fully loaded (147gr JHP) w/ one in the chamber, in a Blackhawk SERPA CQC Level II holster (paddle option), at the 3:00 (right hip) position, and I didn't even "feel" it - it was VERY comfortable! :D

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Good report, hopefully all your OC experiences are the same: uneventful, just like it should be. Be confident, and people will be more comfortable with you OCing (at least this works for me) If you are shifty, visibly nervous, or acting weird, people will be more on edge.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

At the Golden Dove Diner there on Route 13 (southbound side, a few blocksfrom Miller's Gun Shop). :D

The "gun friendly/unfriendly" list idea is a good one, but there's no guarantee that the OC friendliness (or total obliviousness) of the owner, employees, and patrons will be the same every time, at all times of day, all year. It'll depend on WHO is there at the time, their mood, etc....

Also, creating a list like this could have a negative outcome for us OC types. If these businesses start getting more and more civilians that are OCing, then that might make them post signs on their doors out of fear, or customer complaints, etc... Just a thought.

And, there's a possibility that people there either didn't notice that I had a gun (and they might notice next time), or they assumed I was LEO/military....

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

At the very least, gun-unfriendly establishments then -- if they've already decided to ban us, they need to be made aware that our dollars will be spent elsewhere. Glad you were able to get out, though! Hope to hear more tales in the future. :)

Just to let you know, that invite is still out there -- the USPSA competition is tomorrow at the Southern Chester County range in Kennett. Even if it's just to chat between rounds. :)

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
At the very least, gun-unfriendly establishments then -- if they've already decided to ban us, they need to be made aware that our dollars will be spent elsewhere. Glad you were able to get out, though! Hope to hear more tales in the future. :)

Just to let you know, that invite is still out there -- the USPSA competition is tomorrow at the Southern Chester County range in Kennett. Even if it's just to chat between rounds. :)

Yeah, the unfriendly list sounds like a good idea. And I'm in the process of making up a business card type of thing that informs the businesses that no guns = no money for them, and will let them know about the DE constitution, and some key statistics, and the reason why I carry. Sort of like this (for a different State):

Front:

NoGuns-front.gif

Back:

Missouri Concealed-Carry Permit Holders:

Are at least 23 years of age

Are law-abiding citizens – verified by law enforcement

Have submitted fingerprints & undergone background checks

Have passed firearms training and know proper weapons handling

Know Missouri law on concealed carry & justifiable use of force

Have paid as much as $200 for state-mandated training & up to a

$100 permit fee – to comply with the law and obtain a permit

“No Gun” signs turn law-abiding customers away – while advertising a “safe working environment” to criminals! NO Sign = Good Cents!

Obviously it would be modified towards Delaware and OC.