• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NO AMMO AROUND When Cleaning Your Gun.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Figures it happened in Jersey.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/NEWS01/710190389

VINELAND An off-duty state trooper was taken to Cooper University Hospital in Camden on Thursday night after accidentally shooting himself in the hand.The trooper, whose name was not released, was cleaning a gun at home when it fired, said Sgt. Stephen Jones, a state police spokesman. He said the trooper is stationed on the Atlantic City Expressway.
The injury was not life-threatening, Jones said. Additional information about the incident was not available.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Stupid mistake. But I guess every one of us is only one human error, or a mental mistake away from looking just as stupid.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:

VINELAND An off-duty state trooper was taken to Cooper University Hospital in Camden on Thursday night after accidentally shooting himself in the hand.The trooper, whose name was not released, was cleaning a gun at home when it fired, said Sgt. Stephen Jones, a state police spokesman. He said the trooper is stationed on the Atlantic City Expressway.
The injury was not life-threatening, Jones said. Additional information about the incident was not available.

Why would Jersey have anything to do with it?

I gotta suspect it was the ole GLOCK technology of having to pull the trigger to field strip the gun. Man, that's got to hurt.

Of course, we must officiallyblame this on the antis or gun laws somehow....:p

dngreer wrote:
Stupid mistake. But I guess every one of us is only one human error, or a mental mistake away from looking just as stupid.
Exactly. People do make errors. That's why I don't understand the rabid denunciation of things like handgun safeties or Condition 3 carry. Doesn't make any sense...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Wynder wrote:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/NEWS01/710190389

Been there...Done that.

He had a Glock and now he will get a 1911

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:

I gotta suspect it was the ole GLOCK technology of having to pull the trigger to field strip the gun. Man, that's got to hurt.

Because Jersey believes that only police officers are qualified to have guns (as evident by their uber-restrictive policies on granting permits). How was that for shifting blame? ;p

That Glock technology is in so many guns these days -- has it always been refered to as a 'Glock thing'?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
HankT wrote:

Because Jersey believes that only police officers are qualified to have guns (as evident by their uber-restrictive policies on granting permits). How was that for shifting blame? ;p

That Glock technology is in so many guns these days -- has it always been refered to as a 'Glock thing'?

Oh, snap. That's right. And I am supposed to know that, y'know?! Wouldn't the same be true of Cali?

But I wasn't aware that the GLOCK design of having to pull the trigger to field stripwas also present on any other major brands. Does the Springfield have the same design in that regard? Which others do?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

HankT:

Ayep, XD's do. Lock the slide back, raise the release slide, ease the slide back and pull the trigger to remove the slide. Same thing with the Smith & Wesson Sigma. I'd think that most 'Safe Action' or 'Double Action Only' pistols of similar (Glock-like construction) would probably operate the same.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Wynder wrote:
HankT:

Ayep, XD's do. Lock the slide back, raise the release slide, ease the slide back and pull the trigger to remove the slide. Same thing with the Smith & Wesson Sigma. I'd think that most 'Safe Action' or 'Double Action Only' pistols of similar (Glock-like construction) would probably operate the same.
Thank Heavens my 1911 doesn't have It.

Demarest

imported post

HankT wrote:
That's why I don't understand the rabid denunciation of things like handgun safeties or Condition 3 carry. Doesn't make any sense...
First of all, call it what it is. "Rabid" says you'd rather trick an audience into agreeing with you rather than arguing the merits so they can decide for themselves. Nevertheless, to answer your question, this guy wasn't shot because there was a round in the chamber. He was shot because he pulled the trigger.

Of course, you can never expect the media to report this. It wasn't an accidental shooting, it was a negligent shooting. Safe firearm handling is no accident and for somebody trained in firearms to neglect their training is also no accident. Likewise, the gun did not "go off." HE fired it. He may not have meant to, but that's no reason for a journalist (or a ranking officer for that matter) to tell the public it "went off." Such beliefs is how we get cock-eyed legislation and police threatening to charge us with inducing panic.

The only thing I don't like about my Glock is that I have to pull the trigger to disassemble it. But I never point it at myself regardless, and I always visually inspect the open action before presuming it to be unloaded and ready for said disassembly. All Glock owners do.

FogRider

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Wynder wrote:
HankT:

Thank Heavens my 1911 doesn't have It.
Why? Are you in the habit of field stripping your 1911 with a round in the chamber? I have to lock the slide back anyway, that seems like a great time to make sure there is no ammo present. Never confuse stupidity with bad design.
Calling something idiot-proof just challenges God to create a better idiot.

AbNo

imported post

Well, I've got a Rock Island 1911, AND an XD-40.

Personally, I prefer taking the XD apart, myself. No little metal cap (the recoil spring plug) to put dents in my wall everytime.

:shock: Duck! There it goes again!

That being said, I wonder if he can get a new job like that DEA agent had to do.

PT111

imported post

I am constantly amazed at the number of people that seem to think that it is OK to field strip their gun without checking to see if its unloaded. If someone needs a safety device to keep them from trying to clean their gun without checking to see if its unloaded they really don't need to be using a gun or either not be allowed to clean it. Maybe a lock on the slide that requires an adult to take the slide off.

The argument about having to pull the trigger to get the slide off is about as dumb as trying to clean it with it loaded.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
I am constantly amazed at the number of people that seem to think that it is OK to field strip their gun without checking to see if its unloaded. If someone needs a safety device to keep them from trying to clean their gun without checking to see if its unloaded they really don't need to be using a gun or either not be allowed to clean it. Maybe a lock on the slide that requires an adult to take the slide off.

The argument about having to pull the trigger to get the slide off is about as dumb as trying to clean it with it loaded.
+1

This guy made 2 stupid mistakes that could have easily prevented this injury:

1) always verify the firearm is unloaded before pulling the trigger (the only way to decock a Glock)
2) point the firearm in a safe direction (e.g. not at your hand) before pulling the trigger.

Is this really such a hard procedure to follow?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

or he could have been doing something else unsafe and came up with the cleaning story. in any case, he violated all of the 3 rules. maybe he should take a refresher course in handgun safety.

Demarest

imported post

ilbob wrote:
or he could have been doing something else unsafe and came up with the cleaning story.
As often as we hear of policemen shooting themselves while "cleaning their guns," your theory HAS to be true at least some of the time.

Somebody should compile a list of all such publicized occurances, print them out, and present them the next time somebody asks an open carrier "Are you a policeman?" :lol: