• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NO AMMO AROUND When Cleaning Your Gun.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
The NRA is a notorious Compromiser in all matters related to guns.

I would NEVER trust their judgment on safety issues. Kelly J, Doug and MEM all agree: the NRA simply is not up to the job anymore. In fact, their safety concepts are constantly not adhered to. Coincidence? I think not.

The GOA would never let this happen...

Don't know who those three people are... are they very prominent figures in firearms safety?

Here are the NRA's Gun Safety Rules (http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp):

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Know your target and what is beyond.
Know how to use the gun safely.
Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

And then there's a little section on cleaning the gun. Nothing there that's really compromising or out of the sorts. Seems all pretty standard to me -- something you might see posted on the wall at a gun range or in the handbook of a shooting league. So, Hank, which of those safety concepts are no longer adheared to?

Now, I'll admit I don't know much about the GOA, I do know that they're very much into activism, but I couldn't find any safety rules such as these. Mind pointing me to them? I'd just be interested in seeing how they differ.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
HankT wrote:
The NRA is a notorious Compromiser in all matters related to guns.

I would NEVER trust their judgment on safety issues. Kelly J, Doug and MEM all agree: the NRA simply is not up to the job anymore. In fact, their safety concepts are constantly not adhered to. Coincidence? I think not.

The GOA would never let this happen...

Don't know who those three people are... are they very prominent figures in firearms safety?
No, but they are luminaries in their own minds...

Wynder wrote:
So, Hank, which of those safety concepts are no longer adheared to?
See the OP....

Wynder wrote:
Now, I'll admit I don't know much about the GOA, I do know that they're very much into activism, but I couldn't find any safety rules such as these.

GOA is under no obligation to post any safety rules! That would beplaying the "NRA game." And we allknowwhat that means, don't we? Ask acertain person (woman) with the initials HRC... :uhoh:

The GOA, in its own time and at a time of its choosing, will promulgateits safety rules.More importantly....its NO Compromise safety rules.GOA is simply waiting...patiently waiting....and when the time is.....right....it will... STRIKE-LIKE-LIGHTNING!

But in a safe kind of lightning way....:)

TheNRA (negotiate rights away) is finished. Finished, Itell you....

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I do believe HankT was being sarcastic at your expense. Those 3 people repeatedly denounce the NRA andslam them for snuggling up the the anti-gun crowd.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
GOA is under no obligation to post any safety rules! That would beplaying the "NRA game." And we allknowwhat that means, don't we? Ask acertain person (woman) with the initials HRC... :uhoh:

TheNRA (negotiate rights away) is finished. Finished, Itell you....
I honestly don't know what 'game' your refering to -- if you're touting the GOA as the new governing authority of the rights and safety of gun owners (since you said "they'd never let this happen"), I'd think that they'd want to extend themselves into safety education; at least, that's what you were alluding to. If not, the NRA is really still the only game in town for that aspect.

However, I will agree with you, Hank, that the NRA has done some horrific crap with regards to the political forum. The whole "six shots is enough" thing is pretty damning.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
I do believe HankT was being sarcastic at your expense. Those 3 people repeatedly denounce the NRA andslam them for snuggling up the the anti-gun crowd.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

AbNo wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Count me as a fourth.

Fifth here! I'm especially insidious because, get the children out of the room so they don't see this: I believe that the US arms industry needs to fight the ever-increasing anti-gun laws in order to survive as a business. :shock:

And another nail goes in the coffin of this thread...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Count me as a fourth.

Fifth here! I'm especially insidious because, get the children out of the room so they don't see this: I believe that the US arms industry needs to fight the ever-increasing anti-gun laws in order to survive as a business. :shock:

And another nail goes in the coffin of this thread...
And I'll be the 6th.

The firearms industry is enjopying a massive increase in sales to government lately.

I'm intimately aware of one manufacturer that would be out of business right now if not for burgeoning government sales [you can understand they don't want that information getting out, eh?].

If the civilians are banned from owning, and the government continues this pace; banninig guns will actually be a gain for the industry. At least it will be for the ones who sell us out [coughrugercough].

If that isn't disturbing, I don't know what is.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Wynder wrote:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
I wonder when LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER & TARGET, that I remember from my instructor training, was abandoned?

I am pleased to be counted among NRA bashers. The few, the proud, the free!

For those that don't know; I was a member through my instructors' training and submission of my CWP lesson plan to the state for approval. I protested mention of a private organization in the state's statutes - and the gallus-snappers came out of the woodwork! - my consciousness was raised. Then I learned about Project Exile and the benefits to some of compromise.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

With what I'm hearing, another organization, whether it be GOA, really does need to step up and take the mantle of responsibility of providing training material for adults and safety material for children. As it stands with the latter, Eddie Eagle is all I have for my four year old to watch.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
With what I'm hearing, another organization, whether it be GOA, really does need to step up and take the mantle of responsibility of providing training material for adults and safety material for children. As it stands with the latter, Eddie Eagle is all I have for my four year old to watch.

The NRA (negligence rendered acceptable) hasfailed utterly to stop safety problems such as that described in the OP. That is its report card....with a big F for failure...

Eddie Eagle, a bland ripoff of the San Diego Chicken, is also a big F.

eddiewarms.jpg
famous_chicken2.jpg

When the GOA takes over, things will be different. Much different. Accidental shootings of persons will end. Negligent discharges will be a thing of the past. GLOCK leg will be an archaic/historical term.

Safety programs will consist of effective pedagogy with a special operations context, not lilting nursery rhymessuch as:Stop/Don't touch/Leave the area/Tell an adult. Our children will be taught simple but needed procedures like: Stop/Assess threat situation/Establish perimeter control/Secure firearm/Unload firearm/Reassess threat situation/Be ready to reload firearm in case of new threat incidence/Transport firearm to closest GOA member (in good standing).

The NRA has never supported a 100% safety goal in this country. Why?

Because it is a Compromiser!!

Demarest

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I wonder when LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER & TARGET, that I remember from my instructor training, was abandoned?
I don't think that it was. I've taken two different courses--one conducted by the NRA and one by my state's DPS--and both indicated that loaded, muzzle, trigger, and target were the four safety rules.

@HankT: Pardon me, but as I read more and more of your posts, I can't help but notice that you're often full of shit. I'm open to the fact that the NRA is imperfect. However, to suggest that if somebody else was number one, there'd be NO ND's ever again and all the other garbage you said... For as long as imperfect humans have guns, there will be the usual exception where people disregard rules of safety. For as long as imperfect humans have cars, there will be the usual exception where people disregard rules of safety. And so on... You're suggesting that it's the NRA's fault.

unrequited

imported post

Demarest wrote:
@HankT: Pardon me, but as I read more and more of your posts, I can't help but notice that you're often full of shit.
It's nice to see people from every state coming to the similar conclusions about certain topics on this board. > )

imperialism2024

imported post

Demarest wrote:
@HankT: Pardon me, but as I read more and more of your posts, I can't help but notice that you're often full of shit. I'm open to the fact that the NRA is imperfect. However, to suggest that if somebody else was number one, there'd be NO ND's ever again and all the other garbage you said... For as long as imperfect humans have guns, there will be the usual exception where people disregard rules of safety. For as long as imperfect humans have cars, there will be the usual exception where people disregard rules of safety. And so on... You're suggesting that it's the NRA's fault.
Demarest, s/he's being sarcastic. S/he believes that the NRA is striking a perfect balance between the concerns of the pro-gun and anti-gun crowds, and that criticism of the NRA is unacceptable because the NRA will lead the way to freedom for gun owners... like they've been doing, apparently, for the past 136 years.

ianto94

imported post

Anyone for a chamber check and a mag check before taking down that Glock.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Demarest, s/he's being sarcastic. S/he believes that the NRA is striking a perfect balance between the concerns of the pro-gun and anti-gun crowds, and that criticism of the NRA is unacceptable because the NRA will lead the way to freedom for gun owners... like they've been doing, apparently, for the past 136 years.
Better described as satirical, I'd say...

BTW, it's so interesting how you build your straw man argument(s), imp2024... good show!