Thread: OC and CC while hunting ?

Post imported post

This has been on my mind for a while and i would like some help.

I am a hunter and i do carry my gun with me but leave it in the truck.
    [*]Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.
    So after reading this it got me thinking that i cant carry my gun durring regular gun season. Were i huntyou must be 15' off the ground to have a loaded handgun or rifle. I hunt with rifle often and i do not like getting out of my treestand at dark. So i want to be abel to bring my pistol so i dont get eatin by a bear with no ammo in my gun . The laws are a little different when ur talking about hunting because they tell you what u can do, not what u cant do. Does anybody know anything about this?

Part 2

Even if i was to leave my pistol in my truck its illegal to have a loaded gun in ur truck while hunting. (Hunting from a vehicle ticket and loaded pistol on the ground) Im not sure if any of u have met a "GAME WARDEN" if u havent u dont. They are as bad as they come, they write tickets for anything and everything. Its almost like they have laws of there own. Can somebody help me?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons. So after reading this it got me thinking that i cant carry my gun durring regular gun season.
    If that's the only ordinance on the books regarding handguns, it seems you'd be allowed to open carry just fine. I'm assuming you're saying you can't carry it because you don't have a CHP... why not open carry?

Post imported post

Hunting laws dont work the same, they tell u what u can do not what u cant. I do have a CHP but i still think i can get a ticket.

Post imported post

Let me re-word that last post. Hunting laws tell you what u can do and anything els is wrong.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

The regs on carry in the VA Administrative Code are messed up - but we do have a 2 statutes clarifying that CCng or OCing while hunting or otherwise is not presumed to be hunting with the handgun or other gun:

Va. Code § 29.1-521(A)(1) (“a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary”).

Va. Code 18.2-308(B)(6) (“possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit”).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post imported post

Where i hunt you must be 15' off the ground to have a loaded handgun or rifle
    Red Bull?

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Where i hunt you must be 15' off the ground to have a loaded handgun or rifle
    Red Bull?
    hahah Il have to try that one.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    The regs on carry in the VA Administrative Code are messed up - but we do have a 2 statutes clarifying that CCng or OCing while hunting or otherwise is not presumed to be hunting with the handgun or other gun:

Va. Code § 29.1-521(A)(1) (“a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary”).

Va. Code 18.2-308(B)(6) (“possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit”).
    Thanks Mike