• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and CC while hunting ?

S&W1911

imported post

This has been on my mind for a while and i would like some help.

I am a hunter and i do carry my gun with me but leave it in the truck.

[*]Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.
So after reading this it got me thinking that i cant carry my gun durring regular gun season. Were i huntyou must be 15' off the ground to have a loaded handgun or rifle. I hunt with rifle often and i do not like getting out of my treestand at dark. So i want to be abel to bring my pistol so i dont get eatin by a bear with no ammo in my gun :cry:. The laws are a little different when ur talking about hunting because they tell you what u can do, not what u cant do. Does anybody know anything about this?

Part 2

Even if i was to leave my pistol in my truck its illegal to have a loaded gun in ur truck while hunting. (Hunting from a vehicle ticket and loaded pistol on the ground) Im not sure if any of u have met a "GAME WARDEN" if u havent u dont. They are as bad as they come, they write tickets for anything and everything. Its almost like they have laws of there own. Can somebody help me?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons. So after reading this it got me thinking that i cant carry my gun durring regular gun season.
If that's the only ordinance on the books regarding handguns, it seems you'd be allowed to open carry just fine. I'm assuming you're saying you can't carry it because you don't have a CHP... why not open carry?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The regs on carry in the VA Administrative Code are messed up - but we do have a 2 statutes clarifying that CCng or OCing while hunting or otherwise is not presumed to be hunting with the handgun or other gun:

[align=left]Va. Code § 29.1-521(A)(1) (“a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary”).[/align]
[align=left]Va. Code 18.2-308(B)(6) (“possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit”).[/align]

Attachments

• Final VCDL memo to AG on regs.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 213

S&W1911

imported post

Mike wrote:
The regs on carry in the VA Administrative Code are messed up - but we do have a 2 statutes clarifying that CCng or OCing while hunting or otherwise is not presumed to be hunting with the handgun or other gun:

[align=left]Va. Code § 29.1-521(A)(1) (“a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary”).[/align]

[align=left]Va. Code 18.2-308(B)(6) (“possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit”).[/align]
Thanks Mike