• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Business White Lists/Black Lists

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

So, my day job is that of a PHP/MySQL Web Developer -- I've been toying with the idea of a black list/white list/watch list for businesses. Basically, someone selects their state, selects their county and they'll be able to view/add establishments that people have posted about, mark whether they're friendly, anti, neutral or on a watch list, and people would be able to add comments or petition for changes to the status.

I have a bulk of the harder stuff done (populating the database with the states and each county in the states), but I'm still in the process of trying to determine the best information to collect and present and how things might generally be presented.

I think that I'd like to have an additional area for the corporate policies of major chains, but I was hoping to solicit some opinions and advice from some of the groups here who have undertaken similar tasks on a smaller scale.

Feel free to reply here.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

My two cents:
Divide by state and county, but also have a place on the main page for large corporate stores like wal-mart, sportsman's etc.
I strongly suggest using a point-click map type of selection process... that way you can check out neighboring counties much easier... particularly if you didn't know their names!

I'd also possibly require contact info for the stores that allegedly are pro or anti... both to confirm status, and contact to let the know politely that their policy will hurt their business or help it.

A place to post comments... up to you how much you want to regulate or direct the comment type (favorite guns v. just about who is anti-CC/OC - what content do you want on you site?)

hope this helps.... nice goal BTW!

Demarest

imported post

Since counties do not have their own laws, division by county is excessive. For that matter, it is a project better handled at the state level since state laws can vary widely. I know in Ohio, such a list is already compiled.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
My two cents:
Divide by state and county, but also have a place on the main page for large corporate stores like wal-mart, sportsman's etc.
I strongly suggest using a point-click map type of selection process... that way you can check out neighboring counties much easier... particularly if you didn't know their names!

I've got that for state selection -- I'll see if I can't consider doing something similar for the county level... at the very least try to provide a map for the state once it's selected. Doing image maps per state of all of the counties would be ghastly. :)
I'd also possibly require contact info for the stores that allegedly are pro or anti... both to confirm status, and contact to let the know politely that their policy will hurt their business or help it.
Good idea.

A place to post comments... up to you how much you want to regulate or direct the comment type (favorite guns v. just about who is anti-CC/OC - what content do you want on you site?)
My idea was the original poster of the business would post the story as to why the place is anti, pro or on watch and other people would comment on their experiences in that same establishment. Not trying to replace any type of forums or get into that level of communication.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
Since counties do not have their own laws, division by county is excessive. For that matter, it is a project better handled at the state level since state laws can vary widely. I know in Ohio, such a list is already compiled.
Dem,

Not sure if you misunderstood -- this would be for people to find/post businesses and establishments that are pro or anti-gun or need to be watched/informed. I'm breaking it down by county level so someone could, for instance, click on Delaware, select New Castle County and be able to view/search all of the businesses in that county about which postings were made.

Not really anything dealing with laws per se, just so it's easier for someone to drill down into their locale.

AbNo

imported post

Well, I'd prefer to see a state-wide list, as opposed to checking city-by-city....

Or maybe being able to select multiple locations at least.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

That'd be easy enough to do -- maybe select the state and show the first 10-20 results and have them click a link to either show more, search within that state or drill down to a more specific zip or county.

Selecting multiple counties is doable as well -- great ideas. :)

AbNo

imported post

Actually, would it be possible to include only locations within a certain area, or rather, those within X distance from city Y?

Good for those living on borders of states. :D

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Unfortunately, probably not -- the ZIP code will be optional because not everyone will know the ZIP... Doing the calculations between citys/ZIPs to another is dismal and requires you to purchase and maintain location information.

Though, I'd love to do it. ;p

obelix

imported post

Wonderfull idea.. I think it would be a valuable resource.. Many people talk about not giving their business to businesses that are anti, and this idea would give folks a way to determine that without having to test it themselves, and therefore amplifies a single customers negative experience and increases the economic penality for the company who doesn't want our business. Only problem I see is how to get your idea really out there and people visiting.. I doubt people are going to hang around your site without a forum. Perhaps piggy back your idea on a well established site already, like this one, or come up with a unique forum idea to go along with it as well.. I think there is a current market for packing.org vII.0... Good luck..