• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Training Classes?

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

My question is a bit two-fold. Firstly. Could anyone point me to where I could find info regarding about the courses required for the concealed weapon permit? Or advice on what the best instructor/organization to take it from would be?

The second part is a bit of a confession; I think I'm one of the only gun-rights believers (I'd like to say activist, but I haven't commited that much time and effort yet) that has literally never held a real firearm before (the story behind that is sort of a testement to how deceptive and divorced from rationality most of the anti's really are), so I've been wondering how one would go about entering 'gun-culture' as it is often called. I figured that it might be better to take one of the beginer/safety courses first rather than just popping into a range and renting some handguns. If anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be most appreciated.

BenjaminHare

imported post

Getting into the gun culture is actually very easy once you start getting trained to use a gun. You'll start meeting people and before you know it, you're in the club.

Call up your local Sheriff's department or Police Department and ask them about the required gun courses. They will probably be able to point you to locations to sign up for the courses as well. Here in Cheyenne, WY the local community college teaches a handgun safety course that is required before getting a CCP. The PD gave us the name and number to contact.

Before you go through the course I would really recommend going shooting with someone that you are comfortable with. If you don't know anyone like that I would suggest waiting until you go through the course. With the knowledge and confidence you will gaing going through the course you will be able to buy a gun and get to know different people at the local gun shops.

Hopefully some members from Oregon will answer your question about specific instructors or organizations to get training from.

Cheers.

-Benjamin N. Hare

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the more important question is "where do you live in Oregon". If you live in the Portland area, your best and cheapest bet is the Multnomah County Sheriffs Office. They run weekly classes.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Well, right now I'm in Ohio for college, but I'll be heading back to the Salem area in early Dec. Also, is there a mandated age requirement for signing up for these kinds of classes? I'm not yet 21, so will that be a problem? I know it will be about another year before I can get the actual permit, but I'd like to get intorecreational shooting before that.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

PM me if you're interested in taking an NRA pistol course. It will get you familiar with the basics... I know an instructor in the Salem area. Lemme know when you'll be available, and we'll see if he's willing to do a class around you schedule.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Welcome to the fold of 2nd amendment supporters.

Your correct about the 21 thing. The best idea is to get licensed to carry concealed so you can carry open w/o the major head aches that often occur.

Prior to that, it's quite prudent for you get acclimated to the world of fire arms.

Right from the gate I'll tell ya it's a big responsibility to wield a fire arm. Granted it's just a tool, the repercussion of it use and or misuse areveryprofound. The level to which you uphold that responibility reflects on all of us. My advise to error on the side of caution and to know the laws and how they can effect you.

You should check out the OFF site (Oregon Firearms Federation) and order the book "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws" by Kevin Starrett. It's a great book to get you quickly up to speed on Oregon's laws.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Oh no.... 21 is the age you can aquire a permit to carry, as far as I know there's no provisions regarding the age of someone taking a training class. Just make sure you are up to date on the laws regarding the transportation of a hand gun going to and coming from a shooting club.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Perhaps this info might help..........

ORS 166.250 Permits possesing a fire arm @18+ as long as you wern't a bad seed as a minoror have a documented history of mental instability....

You can't straight out purchasea hand gun untill 21, from a 'dealer" but, you can "own a hand gun @ 18+ and even open carry it as IdahoCorsairmentioned. In order for you 'own" a hand gun prior to being 21, you'd have to do a private transfer to assume ownership. Ideally have your dad buy it and transfer it to you.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Be very wary of "straw purchase" laws. If someone else buys it because you are not eligible to buy it yourself, you can get into very big trouble.

You canposess a handgunin your own home for self defense, but you can't legally own it until 21. So if your dad or someone else were to purchase it for that purpose, make sure that it is not your money in his hands making the purchase.

But why not start with a rifle or shotgun, which you can legally purchase and own in your own right? A decent .22 rifle can get you familar with the basics, can be lots of fun to go plinking with, and is perfectly legal for a person under 21 to own. The NRA safety courses are a good deal.

I wouldn't worry too much about the handgun thing until you are legally in the clear. It would be a major hassle to keep yourself on the legal side of the line, and you might have a hard time getting any benefit out of it while remaining legal.

In the meantime, learn and plan your purchase and training.