• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your Help / Knowledge needed

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Hello everyone.

I am from Ireland andI am going to visit Virgina in May of 2008.

Am I correct in my understanding of Virginia State Law that if I have permission from the ATF to bring my sidearm into the United States, that I can open carry or am I required to look to the State Police for a permit / licence ?

Hereshoping that you guys and gals can help !

Stay safe ..... and stand up for your rights or it will be like Ireland..

5 Million people here and less than 3000 handgun permits ! None of them open carry!

72Malibu

imported post

^^^

If only everything were that easy. Haha! Despite some of its issues with a lot of gun laws, Virginia I think is one of the, if not THE most firearm friendly state... at least as far as states I've lived in go.

Renegade

imported post

If you happen to travel near Yorktown or Williamsburg please let us know. Consider this an official invitation to enjoy one of our open carry dinners.

I also live close enough to a private range that I can walk over and shoot - I would be gald to spend some time at the range shooting if you are interested.

Kind regards.

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Well first of all, I honestly dont know where I'm going to be... I will be the guest of a friend who lives on the west virginia / virginia border.. so where i go is pretty much up to her and her husband..

But hey, im looking forward to it, and as soon as I find out, i will be in touch !

Stay safe !

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Its a long border, but rest assured no matter where you are, there are at least a few of our 3,000 members who would be happy to show you some "Old Dominion" hospitality. Renegade lives right around the corner from me in York County, so one or both of us can show you around if you get to that area. I second his offer about the Lafayette Gun Club. I'm sure you would enjoy some time there. The Tidewater dinner group would probably set up one of their dinners if you could give us some advance warning. We have had some guests from abroad in the past.

Stay in touch.

sjhipple

imported post

It's a shame that Ireland has been so disarmed. I gotta say...from the point of view of a tyrant, Irishmen would be the FIRST that need to be disarmed. You Irish have an amazing history of standing up to tyrants.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Its a long border, but rest assured no matter where you are, there are at least a few of our 3,000 members who would be happy to show you some "Old Dominion" hospitality.  Renegade lives right around the corner from me in York County, so one or both of us can show you around if you get to that area.  I second his offer about the Layfayette Gun Club.  I'm sure you would enjoy some time there.  The Tidewater dinner group would probably set up one of their dinners if you could give us some advance warning.  We have had some guests from abroad in the past.

Stay in touch.

Ditto. I'm a lot further north than you guys, but if he gets up here, he's more than welcome to spend some time here...

AbNo

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
It's a shame that Ireland has been so disarmed.  I gotta say...from the point of view of a tyrant, Irishmen would be the FIRST that need to be disarmed.  You Irish have an amazing history of standing up to tyrants.

Hee hee hee hee....

By all means, Ironsight, let us know where you end up. I'm near part of the WV/VA border, myself. I also wouldn't be against taking a bit of a drive.