Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minor run in with security guard at sheetz

Post imported post

at appox. 12:15 am on 10/20/07 at sheetz as i was leaving the store one of the two security guards stooped me and asked if i was in law enforcement. i told him no and that i was just a citizen. at this point he told me that the store didn't want people with guns in the store unless they where law enforcement. i told him that VA law stated that i could carry a weapon unless the owner has it posted. at that point all he could say is that he would have to check on that and with a repeat of the same sentence. i then went to my truck to leave and asi looked back the security guard was making a bee line to the back of the store.

i emailed sheetz home office and asked them about there policy on guns will be waiting for an answer.

Post imported post

FWIW, I've OC'd in two of the Sheetz in Harrisonburg, with narry a problem, several times, no less.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

While I don't patronize Sheetz, which one was it?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

They are just jelous because all they have are flashlights.

Post imported post

I, too, have carried in multiple Sheetz (Manassas, Dale City, Gainesville) at various times, including late at night, with no problems.

Please keep us posted as to the corporate office's response.

Post imported post

Mayday wrote:
    They are just jelous because all they have are flashlights.
    "The illusion of safety." -- Tyler Durden

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

i see no reason at all to email anyone.

the guard was probably just wrong.

if they did not want people carrying guns in their store they would post a sign.

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    i see no reason at all to email anyone.

the guard was probably just wrong.

if they did not want people carrying guns in their store they would post a sign.
    That's just the thing...

If the guard WAS (read: is) wrong, then someone needs to send a verbal-slap from up high.

These guards are third-party contracted out.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

robertnmjr wrote:
    i told him that VA law stated that i could carry a weapon unless the owner has it posted.
    I don't think there is any requirement for a sign under VA law. If they ask you to leave, and you don't, you are trespassing.

That said, it sounds like the security guard didn't know what he was talking about and was just winging it.

Post imported post

I have open carried at many Sheetz locations in VA and have not had a single complaint or comment.

THawk, it is very noble of you to befriend HankTNifong.

Post imported post

the sheetz in question is located on hwy 58 in south boston, va. i dont go there much either but the times that i do go there's been no problems.

the other security guard didn't even move from where he was standing.

i hope / looking to get a response to my email the first part of this week.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I OC in Sheetz stores regularly throughout Richmond and have never had a problem - Wa-wa too.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

One of my first OC experiences was in the Sheetz at Broad and Glenside in Richmond. Aside from some wary looks from the Brinks armored car guys who were there for some reason, it was a complete non-incident. Sounds like the security guard was winging it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Again this is a perfect example of someone in authority losing their high card and not knowing how to handle it. He is put in a position of authority, and required to enforce rules and possibly even directly deal with criminals. His uniform and yes, flashlight, allow him to be more comfortable, and also allow him to communicate his authority to others. When he see's a guy with no uniform and no flashlight, but a big shiny gun on his hip, it makes him uncomfortable. What could he do to stop you if you decided to steal something and use your gun? Those things go through his mind and it bothers him. It might help some of these people to talk to them VERY kindly and let them know you're not a threat. Of course most men don't do well with admitting a weakness ESPECIALLY when they're in a position of authority (especially law enforcement).

Not everyone is going to be on your side, but don't be so quick to assume that people that react like this are stupid, or anti-gun, or both.They're probably justuninformed and/or not used to randomly armed citizens. This isn't an excuse for them to make up rules or mess with our rights, but it IS a reason why, and it helps us to understand where they are coming from.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Of course most men don't do well with admitting a weakness ESPECIALLY when they're in a position of authority (especially law enforcement).

Not everyone is going to be on your side, but don't be so quick to assume that people that react like this are stupid, or anti-gun, or both.They're probably justuninformed and/or not used to randomly armed citizens. This isn't an excuse for them to make up rules or mess with our rights, but it IS a reason why, and it helps us to understand where they are coming from.
    +1. Well said.

Post imported post

Not a sheetz event, but was OC'ing at gas station just off of oilville exit on 64 andthe cashier told me sheliked my gun and asked what it wasOnly other event i have had to date was a cashier at the manikan exxon asked me if i was a security gaurdjustreplied no and went on.

Post imported post

bruins499 wrote:
    Not a sheetz event, but was OC'ing at gas station just off of oilville exit on 64 andthe cashier told me sheliked my gun and asked what it wasOnly other event i have had to date was a cashier at the manikan exxon asked me if i was a security gaurdjustreplied no and went on.
    Just curious, was that the Exxon or the BP in Oilville, bruins?

I could definately see that at that Exxon, while a few experiences I had at the BP made me wish I was OC (though glad I was CC).

Post imported post

Skeptic wrote:
    bruins499 wrote:
    Just curious, was that the Exxon or the BP in Oilville, bruins?

I could definately see that at that Exxon, while a few experiences I had at the BP made me wish I was OC (though glad I was CC).
    It was the exxon.

Post imported post

I never much cared for Sheetz "security" policy,as when I lived in henrico(along time ago) mostly when I was in sheetz I was wasted,and didnt want to get arrested...LOL:shock: back then all they had were cops,not gaurds.

At least the guard didnt go bonkers and try to detain you for the LEOs to show and ask for your CHP and all that mess

Post imported post

I'll have a chat with that guard. Because my policy is to strictly allow open carriers on premise.

Post imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    At least the guard didnt go bonkers and try to detain you for the LEOs to show and ask for your CHP and all that mess
    Do security guards have any legal authority to detain you?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

They can only detain you if you have committed a crime, i.e. shoplifting, etc. Otherwise it is a false arrest and you can sue the heck of the company for $.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

robertnmjr wrote:
    i told him that VA law stated that i could carry a weapon unless the owner has it posted.
    Virginia statutes are silent on signage.

I kind of hate bringing up lack of signage b/c that encourages them to post.

Maybe say somthing like "I am unaware oif any Sheetz Corp. policy banning constitutional rights - you had better go check your sources," and then leave.

Post imported post

Scheetz wrote:
    I'll have a chat with that guard.* Because my policy is to strictly allow open carriers on premise.*

hah
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

mlands wrote:
    They can only detain you if you have committed a crime, i.e. shoplifting, etc. Otherwise it is a false arrest and you can sue the heck of the company for $.
    Correct.. But only for theft violations and then only for one hour.

§ 18.2-105.1. Detention of suspected shoplifter.

A merchant, agent or employee of the merchant, who has probable cause to believe that a person has shoplifted in violation of § 18.2-95 or § 18.2-96 or § 18.2-103, on the premises of the merchant, may detain such person for a period not to exceed one hour pending arrival of a law-enforcement officer.

§ 18.2-95. Grand larceny defined; how punished.

§ 18.2-96. Petit larceny defined; how punished.

§ 18.2-103. Concealing or taking possession of merchandise; altering price tags; transferring goods from one container to another; counseling, etc., another in performance of such acts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast