• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

minor run in with security guard at sheetz

robertnmjr

imported post

at appox. 12:15 am on 10/20/07 at sheetz as i was leaving the store one of the two security guards stooped me and asked if i was in law enforcement. i told him no and that i was just a citizen. at this point he told me that the store didn't want people with guns in the store unless they where law enforcement. i told him that VA law stated that i could carry a weapon unless the owner has it posted. at that point all he could say is that he would have to check on that and with a repeat of the same sentence. i then went to my truck to leave and asi looked back the security guard was making a bee line to the back of the store.

i emailed sheetz home office and asked them about there policy on guns will be waiting for an answer.

vrwmiller

imported post

I, too, have carried in multiple Sheetz (Manassas, Dale City, Gainesville) at various times, including late at night, with no problems.

Please keep us posted as to the corporate office's response.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i see no reason at all to email anyone.

the guard was probably just wrong.

if they did not want people carrying guns in their store they would post a sign.

AbNo

imported post

ilbob wrote:
i see no reason at all to email anyone.

the guard was probably just wrong.

if they did not want people carrying guns in their store they would post a sign.

That's just the thing...

If the guard WAS (read: is) wrong, then someone needs to send a verbal-slap from up high.

These guards are third-party contracted out.

Tomahawk

imported post

robertnmjr wrote:
i told him that VA law stated that i could carry a weapon unless the owner has it posted.
I don't think there is any requirement for a sign under VA law. If they ask you to leave, and you don't, you are trespassing.

That said, it sounds like the security guard didn't know what he was talking about and was just winging it.

robertnmjr

imported post

the sheetz in question is located on hwy 58 in south boston, va. i dont go there much either but the times that i do go there's been no problems.

the other security guard didn't even move from where he was standing.

i hope / looking to get a response to my email the first part of this week.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I OC in Sheetz stores regularly throughout Richmond and have never had a problem - Wa-wa too.
Yata hey

armedinrichmond

imported post

One of my first OC experiences was in the Sheetz at Broad and Glenside in Richmond. Aside from some wary looks from the Brinks armored car guys who were there for some reason, it was a complete non-incident. Sounds like the security guard was winging it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Again this is a perfect example of someone in authority losing their high card and not knowing how to handle it. He is put in a position of authority, and required to enforce rules and possibly even directly deal with criminals. His uniform and yes, flashlight, allow him to be more comfortable, and also allow him to communicate his authority to others. When he see's a guy with no uniform and no flashlight, but a big shiny gun on his hip, it makes him uncomfortable. What could he do to stop you if you decided to steal something and use your gun? Those things go through his mind and it bothers him. It might help some of these people to talk to them VERY kindly and let them know you're not a threat. Of course most men don't do well with admitting a weakness:) ESPECIALLY when they're in a position of authority (especially law enforcement).

Not everyone is going to be on your side, but don't be so quick to assume that people that react like this are stupid, or anti-gun, or both.They're probably justuninformed and/or not used to randomly armed citizens. This isn't an excuse for them to make up rules or mess with our rights, but it IS a reason why, and it helps us to understand where they are coming from.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Of course most men don't do well with admitting a weakness:) ESPECIALLY when they're in a position of authority (especially law enforcement).

Not everyone is going to be on your side, but don't be so quick to assume that people that react like this are stupid, or anti-gun, or both.They're probably justuninformed and/or not used to randomly armed citizens. This isn't an excuse for them to make up rules or mess with our rights, but it IS a reason why, and it helps us to understand where they are coming from.
+1. Well said.

bruins499

imported post

Not a sheetz event, but was OC'ing at gas station just off of oilville exit on 64 andthe cashier told me sheliked my gun and asked what it wasOnly other event i have had to date was a cashier at the manikan exxon asked me if i was a security gaurdjustreplied no and went on.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bruins499 wrote:
Not a sheetz event, but was OC'ing at gas station just off of oilville exit on 64 andthe cashier told me sheliked my gun and asked what it wasOnly other event i have had to date was a cashier at the manikan exxon asked me if i was a security gaurdjustreplied no and went on.
Just curious, was that the Exxon or the BP in Oilville, bruins?

I could definately see that at that Exxon, while a few experiences I had at the BP made me wish I was OC (though glad I was CC).

bruins499

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
bruins499 wrote:
Just curious, was that the Exxon or the BP in Oilville, bruins?

I could definately see that at that Exxon, while a few experiences I had at the BP made me wish I was OC (though glad I was CC).
It was the exxon.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

I never much cared for Sheetz "security" policy,as when I lived in henrico(along time ago) mostly when I was in sheetz I was wasted,and didnt want to get arrested...LOL:shock: back then all they had were cops,not gaurds.

At least the guard didnt go bonkers and try to detain you for the LEOs to show and ask for your CHP and all that mess