• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Newly OC-able" WA?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sunday, 10AM.

7100 E Greenlake Drive N
Seattle, WA 98115

I recommend that everyone conceals on this one except for myself. This is a challenge for one lone individual. If another comes in open carrying, the bet is over.

Gray Peterson

imported post

Jammer Six posted this:

Best possible result!

I WAS WRONG!

So celebrate!

We ate breakfast at Starbuck's, and the public is as blind as a bat.

By my count, in an hour and twenty minutes, sitting in the exact center of the store, with people coming and going on all sides of us, no more than four people saw the weapon, and none of them did anything about it. Everyone could have seen his weapon, but they were all wrapped up in their own little worlds.

We then adjourned to Green Lake, and sat on a bench chattering about gun laws (Lonnie is VERY well versed in current laws having to do with open carry) and, again by my count, eleven people noticed that he was armed, out of maybe 200 or 250 people who went by, all of wom had a clear view of his weapon, (it was a beautiful fall day here, and the roller blades and dog walkers were out in droves) and they, also, did nothing.

Nothing.

No cops, no arrest, no nothing.

I'm pleased to state that I was wrong, and open carry in Seattle is a low risk venture.

It was quite an eye opener for me.

compmanio365

imported post

Ha, that is awesome! Glad to see that their is some real mature people still in this world who are willing to admit when they are wrong and change their views in the face of unwavering proof.

psychophipps

imported post

Yes, it was rather pleasant. We had a few double-takes, but what with two other people (and Lonnie and myself are rather large fellows) there at the table CCWing and not giving a rip, it went without a hitch other than the after Starbucks meet-up at the lake right down the road from the meet point. I had to leave to see a sick grandmother in Port Townsend before I killed myself driving exhausted and Lonnie I'm not sure what happened there.

Interesting conversation with a very knowledgeable Lonnie about CCW and OC laws and a genuinely surprised Jammer that the whole SPD SWAT team didn't charge in and break their M4s off in our collective nether-regions...

P.S. Yes, I'm being melodramatic here...it's more fun that way to write about a rather mundane meeting of forum members. ;)

RickB

imported post

Hi, I just joined the forum today, because I saw a guy openly carrying in downtown Seattle, while out on my lunch hour. I carry concealed, and didn't know open carry was legal. The guy stood on the corner of 3rd & Seneca for 10-15 minutes, chatting with the P-I salesman. Lots of people noticing, but nobody apparently taking any action. I would be surprised if anyone could do it for more than a day or two without at least discussing it with Seattle's finest, though.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

RickB wrote:
Hi, I just joined the forum today, because I saw a guy openly carrying in downtown Seattle, while out on my lunch hour. I carry concealed, and didn't know open carry was legal. The guy stood on the corner of 3rd & Seneca for 10-15 minutes, chatting with the P-I salesman. Lots of people noticing, but nobody apparently taking any action. I would be surprised if anyone could do it for more than a day or two without at least discussing it with Seattle's finest, though.

Might have been me. If it was a tall guy with a beard wearing a black shirt and slacks, it was definitly me, as I try and buy a couple of papers from the Times/PI guy outside the old WaMu tower whenever I am in Seattle.

If it wasn't me, it's still way cool. I have OC'd through Seattle everytime I pass through, and only one encounter with SPD, and it was of the "have a nice day sir" variety. Today went into Starbucks at 3rd and Pike, wandered through the Pike Place market, walked by a cop in his car, etc... I feel more comfortable OCing in Seattle than at home sadly enough... Lynnwood is a nice place to OC too. Thanks Lonnie!

Steve

BluesBear

imported post

Thanks for that link Longwatch. Ienjoyed the article even though I felt a littlebiasshowing up near the end. What really surprisedme though, was this little tidbit; (emphasis added)
Three days after the incident at Champps, a married couple were walking their dogs down Market Street, the busy thoroughfare in the heart of Reston Town Center, about 3 p.m. In addition to pistols on their hips, Perez said, both the man and woman were carrying an extra magazine of ammunition. An officer spoke with them and was informed that they were members of the defense league and were aware of the Starbucks incident. Perez said the officer took no further action, although Van Cleave said a lieutenant arrived and urged Town Center security to eject them.
Somebody needs to have a little talk with that lieutenant. Talk about improper behaviour under colour of authority. He has no business telling anyone how to run their business as long as it's all within the law. Hopefully Town Center security had the balls to tell him no.

longwatch

imported post

Nothing helps OC like being on the front page of the Washington Post or any newspaper of note.

BluesBear

imported post

Oh I agree completely. After all you can't buy space on the front page.

Twoother things really caught my eye,
Openly carrying weapons is "not a good idea," said Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center in Washington. "This is the gun lobby's vision of how America should be. Everybody's packing heat and ready to engage in a shootout at the slightest provocation."

But then where are the articles telling the stories of the legions of lawful carriers shooting it out Dodge City style? Oh that's right there aren't any because it ain't happening. Just like the streets were not running red as soon as concealed carry was enacted. That old saying that 'an armed society is a polite society' is at least partially true. There still have to be moral values in place.

Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known."

And this is precisely how the anti's want us to think. They want us to fear losing our rights. They want us to believe we are in the minority. That way we'll oppress ourselves, because they know they can't do it on their own. Why legislate when they can intimidate?
Truly rational thinkers know there's no problem with firearms. They know what real responsibility is and they don't fall for allthesmoke and mirrors based propaganda..

BluesBear

imported post

I've noticed in the decade I've lived here, thatthe Seattle TV stations (especially KING 5 which is what I watch 90% of the time) just loves to mention that someone involved in a firearms incident "has a concealed carry permit". But it seems I only hear them say that when it's been a justified shooting. Hmmm.Either they are so pro-carry that they won't mention it when reporting a criminal action or else us decent folk just aren't shooting each other. I wonder which it is?

;)