• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Newly OC-able" WA?

carhas0

imported post

Someone on glocktalk.com (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772369) thinks that OC was only recently made legal. He was corrected by a number of informed Washintonians. Another poster from Seattle (username "Jammer Six") is still not convinced that an OCer will not be arrested for OCing in downtown Seattle.

He wrote:

I live here. I've lived here all my life. I carry, I have a CPL. Open carry in Seattle, go to jail. Via a felony takedown. You probably won't even be asked if you have a CPL. It's not going to change, and efforts to change it will have a far greater impact if spent on other issues, that have a chance of being accomplished. There's so much to accomplish that I would put spending time on this issue way down the list. It's attacking straight into their strength, where we have the least chance of accomplishing anything. Better to work on getting the right to carry for people who have none at all, better to turn may issue states into shall issue states.

I figured this would be a good place for any of you who have stories about OCing downtown to post them in one place, even if you just copy and paste from another thread where you posted them originally. Then we can link to this thread and he will at least get to read the stories, even if he is still not convinced.

He also had the following offer to OCers:

Come on up, though, and SHOW me I'm wrong-- I'll buy the coffee. We'll both take weapons, but I'll conceal mine. Got the Starbuck's all picked out. When should we go? 3/325, the offer extends to you, too. The Starbuck's on North Greenlake Way, by Gregg's Greenlake Cycle. Any drink you want, anything to eat you want. We walk out, or we talk to SPD and walk away, and I post a retraction here. You go to jail, I post that, too. Tomorrow is Saturday. What time is good for you? We can talk about Campbell. We'll sit there until I finish my coffee. Won't stall, straight up. I'm as interested in the real answer as you are, but not willing to go to jail to make the claim. I live here. The word "liberal" does not BEGIN to cover it
I know its after Saturday, but if anyone is still up for coffee maybe you could convince him to meet you...or maybe he should go to Denny's!

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Another internet expert :?

I've seen people post essentially the same nonsense many, many times, on numerous boards. I usually just reply that I OC everywhere and have never been hassled. Proof positive that our perception of what will happen and what actually does happen are often not the same.
In my experience people just could care less about my OC'd sidearm.

ETA: I just got back from OC'ing in Harrisburg, PA. Where I was told by another internet expert that OC would not be tolerated..... It gets old being right all the time :)
Well, not really :lol:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
This guy has already made up his mind. The FACTS won't sway him. He is a sheeple in his mind and always will be. Sad, very sad.
Posted in the thread:

Jammer Six,

I'll take that bet. Let me give you a few pointers.

First, I open carried at Pike Place Market and in downtown Seattle in late June during Pride weekend. I was not even contacted. I also open carried in Capitol Hill, and at Seattle Center. I was booted from Volunteer Park for a preempted park ordinance which was addressed at a later point, not for open carry, and at Seattle Center, I had two officers shadow me the entire time, but they didn't arrest me. This was more to keep "man with a gun" calls to a minimum.

Jammer, if you know what "Pride" is you'll know that on the scale of "liberalism", there is almost nothing more "liberal". I think the real word you were looking for is "anti-gun".

There was another thread posted by christyuan, a Seattle PD officer who was discussing what happened back in June. Unfortunately, it looks like the server move may have removed the thread. :/

There was an article in the October WAC newsletter by Dave Workman, which was a reprint of a Gun Week article back in August.

I am calling the bet too. I emailed you offline. Let's get this over with.
smile.gif

EDIT: Looks like psychophipps backed out due to family concerns. Jammer, let's do this. If you want, I can invite another friend with a video camera. We'll do an interview.

Sasquatch

imported post

I just recently came upon this site, and this is my first post. I was actually doing some research about city government policies in regards to CC / restrictions, etc., which led me here.

Kudos to you all for the proactive work!

I live near the Starbucks in question and I would like to 'coincidentally' be enjoying a cup of coffee and pastry during this experiment. Being familiar with the nature of the neighborhood - I think the odds are 50/50 regarding any 'issue' - but I'd definately like to see. I'm pretty confident if I went to my local favorite coffeshop carrying open - they'd crap a brick.

Would you mind PM'ing me the details Lonnie?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I don't use glocktalk, don't own a glock, probably would never want one (but that's another story...) and don't have time to follow up there with my own SPD story http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/4953.htmlbut if you want to give the guy my email address which is my user name at yahoo dot com feel free. Heck even the OPD after jacking me up still acknowledged the legality. Drag the guy over here and rub his nose in it :)

BTW been OC'ing around Oly and haven't been bugged again (yet....)

Steve

expvideo

imported post

Sasquatch wrote:
I just recently came upon this site, and this is my first post. I was actually doing some research about city government policies in regards to CC / restrictions, etc., which led me here.

Kudos to you all for the proactive work!

I live near the Starbucks in question and I would like to 'coincidentally' be enjoying a cup of coffee and pastry during this experiment. Being familiar with the nature of the neighborhood - I think the odds are 50/50 regarding any 'issue' - but I'd definately like to see. I'm pretty confident if I went to my local favorite coffeshop carrying open - they'd crap a brick.

Would you mind PM'ing me the details Lonnie?
Welcome to the boards.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Please let us know how this turns out. Video would be excellent if that works out. This is very interesting. I think it would be neat if a group of OCers even took him up on his offer. But of course he would need to be able to cover the billfor all of them. :D

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I would highly recommend to the rest of you attending to carry concealed.

Why?

The bet is whether or not an individual can open carry in Seattle without being taken to jail. You throw in a group of open carriers and it actually makes it less likely that the cops will get called, because we might be considered "official group" in that sense and it'll be cheating. The concept here is whether a LONE open carrier can do it. This is why I'm asking everyone else that if you're going to attend, conceal it. This is a test, not a demonstration. If I need you guys for anything, it's to record what's going on, be witness, IF the Seattle PD do something really stupid.

just_a_car

imported post

Dually noted, Lonnie... that said, where is it? I can bring my digi-cam that can record video with sound and sit off to the side while CC'ing.

amlevin

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
I would highly recommend to the rest of you attending to carry concealed.

Why?

The bet is whether or not an individual can open carry in Seattle without being taken to jail. You throw in a group of open carriers and it actually makes it less likely that the cops will get called, because we might be considered "official group" in that sense and it'll be cheating. The concept here is whether a LONE open carrier can do it. This is why I'm asking everyone else that if you're going to attend, conceal it. This is a test, not a demonstration. If I need you guys for anything, it's to record what's going on, be witness, IF the Seattle PD do something really stupid.

OR

A group of openly armed individuals could truly be viewed as causing alarm and generate numerous calls to 911.

Either way, the challenge should run it's course without additional participants. It would be best to observe from a distance.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
Someone on glocktalk.com (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772369) thinks that OC was only recently made legal. He was corrected by a number of informed Washintonians.
Hey guys. I'm the original poster of that thread on GT and was misinformed (isn't the first time, and won't be the last I'm sure) regarding Open Carry in the Evergreen State. I didn't mean to spark a controversy, I was just looking for an honest answer about OC in WA, because honestly, I have never seen anyone doing it. (with the exception ofthe gunshop parking lots, etc.) I will continue to monitor both the thread here and the thread on Glocktalk.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this, but do most people that OC (and have a CHL) also carry a back-up gun concealed?

BluesBear

imported post

I personally know Jammer-Six.I admit that he can be a little headstrong at times but he's actually a good guy.

Let me know if this challenge takes place. I'll be glad to show up with my small video camera.

In the mean time has anyone invited him over here? Once here he could see that there are those of us who OC everyday and don't have any problems. Who knows he might very well decide to join the cause.