• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wolf ammo

Tomahawk

imported post

I recently saw a decent offer for some .308 Wolf ammo, but I'm not sure I trust it.

There was a thread here not too lng ago in which some of you were lamenting Wolf's handgun ammo, but other's I've talked to say it's fine. Anyone got some scuttlebutt on this?

les_aker

imported post

I used to keep some of it around to shoot in places where I couldn't easily collect my brass for reloading. The older laquered steel cases would occasionally not want to eject right if the barrel of my AR was really hot. You can't reload them.

Overall, I haven't had any more problems with them than you'd expect to have from average target rounds.

They used to cost ~$95 per (1000) case, but the cost is way up now. It has really reached the point where I doubt I'll buy more since I can get brass that can be reloaded for about the same cost.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I used to shoot them exlusively when practicing until an ejected cartridge bounced off the wall and fell down the collar of my shirt... the steel cases retain heat, and it burned the back of my neck. I'll still buy them, but I'm sure to wear a tight collared tshirt under my clothes if I'm at an indoor range anymore...

unrequited

imported post

Pistol-wise, they're dirty, but I clean within the day of every trip out so I've never experienced any more than usual dirtyness or effort on my part to get it clean again. If I remember correctly it's SMOKEY AS HELL so much so I had to take a break after every couple magazines but then again that was just as much a fault of the range's ventilation (Gilbert's) as it was Wolf's.

Marco

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
.308 Wolf ammo, but I'm not sure I trust it.

other's I've talked to say it's fine. Anyone got some scuttlebutt on this?

I have used their 5.56/.223 ammo and found the lacquered cases to be a problem in my AR's and a pain to clean afterwards (like others have stated)

won't use it again in anything other than a Eastern/Chinese gun

Wolf 9x18pistol ammo in aMakarov= cheap fun
Wolf and Amscor= dirtier than I like

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Crappy ammo. Steel casings instead of brass, and they shoot really dirty. But they are cheaper, and I've never had them misfire. If you can afford better ammunition, I would buy it, but Wolf ammo is better than no ammo.

Tomahawk

imported post

I'm not sure if I like the idea of laquer in my chamber, let alone the gas system...maybe I should stick with the better stuff. It's just .308 is hard to find these days, especially for a decent price, and I need to keep the anti-zombie stock up and do some more shooting.

Richard

imported post

I have used the Wolf .45 in my Kimber UC II and my Springfield Mill. I have had a problem in the Kimber after the third mag with the ammo "sticiking" the slide open but just a slight touch on the back and it slammed shut.

On the Springfield the casing would every now and then stick in the extractor due to the steel casings are slightly thicker than brass and when the gun was hot one would stick.

Dirty? yes but I clean after every trip to the range.

Hot casings? My wife has got burns on her "top shelf" from wearing a low cut top when shooting the Springfield.:cuss: She no longer will wear a low top when shooting :D

1000 rounds shipped to the door for $245.00 Well it does work.

Tomahawk

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
http://cheaperthandirt.com

has non lacquered Silver bear for <$9.00 and PMC for <$13.00 for a bx of 25rds

I'm interested in .308 Win, not pistol ammo.

Here's Silver Bear's .308: http://cheaperthandirt.com/AMM692-3249-124.html

The reviews are interesting. It's steel cased and the reviews say it gums up bolt-action rifles but works fine in semi-autos. It also says the steel cases swel up and won't extract properly in some rifles.

Marco

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I'm interested in .308 Win, not pistol ammo.
i know that is why i quoted rifle ammo prices, was just stating my experience with the brand.:cool:

RogueWarrior

imported post

There's a site called Ammoman he's prices seem pretty good :D

308 winchester by wolf for $189 for 500 rounds
308 federal 150 grain $325 for 500 rounds

RogueAussie

GI1911

imported post

The main issue with any steel cased ammo is a wear issue. Any place the steel case touches or rides will cause undue wear, bolt face, feed ramp, chamberand ejectors. Personally I would spend a little more and buy quality ammo that is brass cased.

Tomahawk

imported post

GI1911 wrote:
The main issue with any steel cased ammo is a wear issue. Any place the steel case touches or rides will cause undue wear, bolt face, feed ramp, chamberand ejectors. Personally I would spend a little more and buy quality ammo that is brass cased.

That's a good point, hadn't thought about that. What is that coloring on Wolf cases? Some sort of paint or electroplating? Is that supposed to reduce wear or just fight rusting of the case?

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
GI1911 wrote:

That's a good point, hadn't thought about that. What is that coloring on Wolf cases? Some sort of paint or electroplating? Is that supposed to reduce wear or just fight rusting of the case?
The .223 Wolf62 gr. ammocases have a dark gray/green color. They have some kind of polymer coating that is supposed to lube/ease wear on any contact points. I bought a case of it and plan to shoot some of it up soon. I'll see how it goes. Have heard that Wolf with the polymer (not lacquer) coating is OK.

Particle

imported post

I never had any problems with the .45 ACP Wolf that I used in a 1911. My friend's AK seems to chew up the 7.62x39 stuff too.

If you're using Wolf in an AR or AR-esque system, get the Military Classic stuff instead of the black boxes. It's a little bit hotter and cycles the action better.

Wolf is inaccurate and underpowered, but it does go bang and works for plinking. In .223 at least, their heavier bullets provide better results in terms of accuracy. The same could be true in .308. You might test a couple boxes of various Wolf rounds to see what works best in your rifle before committing to a large order.

After refusing to put steel cases into my AR pistol for months, I'm finally feeling the crunch and plan to get a case of Wolf MC .223 FMJ for it soon.