Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Question for LEO

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    I work as a service technician for a major restaurant equipment repair company in the Tidewater area. My question to you is this- Is it legal for me to cc in a kitchen of a restaurant that sells alcohol for on site consumption? I know this is illegal if I am a patron,but dont know about if I am in back working and am away from the general public.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    I'd say not legal based on http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308 paragraph J3, unless you think you could successfully claim you're employee of the restaurant...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    I don't know the answer to this either, though as a contractor, I think your relationship to the restaurant is more that of an employee than a patron. The purpose of the legislation was presumably to prohibit CC'ers from drinking and carrying. JMHO.

    Anyway, this is probably a better question for a lawyer than an LEO. If you read other threads here, you'll be struck by how much ignorance and misinformation many LEO's have about firearms law. (LEO229 excepted, of course. )

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    It was LEO229 I was asking;HOWEVER all input is needed. I thought the same- by being a contractor and not a patron this does not apply to me. I just want some clairification should I ever need to defend my actions. Most of my customers know I carry and dont have an issue with it. Curious about a LEO'S opinion!!

  5. #5
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    NO disrespect to LEO229, but the others are right about talking to a lawyer. LEO229 may be willing to give you his opinion, but I wouldn't base what I do on any LEO'sopinion. Make sure you're standing on firm legal ground in order to save yourself some legal headaches. Just my 2 cents.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    THANKS I thought this spark some discussion but all I really want to know is who does this law apply to-is it patrons of the establishment or is it all inclusive even to contractors; after all is not a contractor working for the owner? Therefore technicaly speeking an employee ---at while he is there working on equipment?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    MAYBE I should reword my question I am just looking for a LEO'S ideas of how they would handle the situation. In regards to the law is there a provision made for someone acting in the owners behalf? As a contractor on site working and not patronizing the place are you or are you not acting on the owners behalf and if so does this law apply to you?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    wilkie wrote:
    THANKS I thought this spark some discussion but all I really want to know is who does this law apply to-is it patrons of the establishment or is it all inclusive even to contractors; after all is not a contractor working for the owner? Therefore technicaly speeking an employee ---at while he is there working on equipment?
    That's a grey area. If you were a contractor working FOR the establishment (say, a waiter provided by a temp agency) you'd probably be OK. As a tech employed by another firm to work on equipment that happens to be at the establishment, I'm not so sure. Either way, OC is still legal...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    wilkie wrote:
    I work as a service technician for a major restaurant equipment repair company in the Tidewater area. My question to you is this- Is it legal for me to cc in a kitchen of a restaurant that sells alcohol for on site consumption? I know this is illegal if I am a patron,but dont know about if I am in back working and am away from the general public.
    I am no lawyer and cannot give you legal advice as is stated in the rules for this forum..

    But in reading the code section regarding CC in an alcohol serving establishment.... you cannot CC unless you are an EMPLOYEE. I do not believea contractor is considered an employee for tax purposes. I allow my employees to CC at my business.

    You could always OC.


    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia;

    however, nothing herein shall prohibit

    any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club

    or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    I normally cc and switching back and forth is too much of a hassle,too many rigs. This is the reason I was looking for a LEO'S OPINION --I wasnt looking for lgal advice. Alcohol is served in the front I am in the kitchen not where alcohol is served.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    I am going to think there is no separation between kitchen and dining area.

    Code covers the entire business.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    As stated before an LEO opinion isn't worth much sometimes. The Manassas cops said it was illegal for any non LEO to carry at all.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    As stated before an LEO opinion isn't worth much sometimes. The Manassas cops said it was illegal for any non LEO to carry at all.
    I do try to back everything I say with the appropriate code section.

    If I do not know.. I say so.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    This isn't legal advice either, just my opinion.
    There is a prescribed method for interpreting a statute. Since I am not nearly educated enough to do it, I'll post a brief description of the procedure.

    It is presumed that a statute will be interpreted so as to be internally consistent. A particular section of the statute shall not be divorced from the rest of the act. The sui generis rule applies to resolve the problem of giving meaning to groups of words where one of the words is ambiguous or inherently unclear. For example, in Criminal Law, a statute might require a mens rea element of "unlawfully and maliciously". Whereas the word "maliciously" is well-understood, the word "unlawfully" in this context is less clear. Hence, it must be given a meaning of the "same kind" as the word of established meaning. This is particularly the case when the two or more words are conjoined, i.e., linked by the word "and", as opposed to placed in a disjunctive relationship, i.e., linked by the word "or", where the interpretation of the two or more words might be different depending on the circumstances (sometimes courts have to attribute a conjunctive intention to the legislature even though the list is disjunctive because, otherwise, no sensible overall interpretation can be ascribed


    If I were in your position, I'd look at the statute and see if it says something like "or service technician" If not, I'd either OC or leave it in the truck.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorktown, VA, ,
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    And the real question is...what would we be charged with if we were discovered CC'ing in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

    Also, if someone, say a LEO, were guessing that you were CC'ing and asked if you were, or asked you to lift your shirt, etc. Wouldn't any mandatory answer or action be viewed as a violation of our Fifth Amendment right to protect against self-incrimination? I guess he could go on eBay and get a warrant to search you if he really wanted to but are we required to incriminate ourselves?

    One more - what if your were asked by restaurant staff or even a LEO if you were a LEO - are we somehow reqired to answer THAT specific question? Or can I just politely refuse to answer any and all questions regarding my status as a LEO/non-LEO?


  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Without giving legal advise I can only give my uneducated opinion.

    You would be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Your permit doesn't allow you to carry there therefore, you have no authorization to carry concealed.

    You never HAVE to answer questions from anyone unless granted immunity from prosecution. I think the applicable document to look at is the constution. However there are consequences. In your case, refusal to answer would probably result in a call to your boss explaining why his services were no longer needed.

    If a LEO has probable suspecion that you committed a crime, he can search you. A bulge does not make a gun though and concealed should mean just that.
    As far as asking you to do something ....cooperating in that way has gotten more people busted that anything else. If he feels he has cause, he'll search you. Just Say No!

    Again, IMHO....you need to look this up yourself. I'm just guessing!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 is right. A contractor is not an employee.

    I'm still not sure about this whole idea of the owner giving permission though and what legal ramifications that has.

  18. #18
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Just another exaple of why this is a bad law.

    Say I'm on duty as a Paramedic and I get called to a choking at this restaurant, and I am armed. My employer (career) / Rescue Captain (volunteer) isn't aware of my armed status. Concealed means concealed, right? The vehicle I am in cannot be positively secured (other employees/broken locks). What am I supposed to do?

    There is no "allowance" for emergency responders, as I have seen mentioned when I have brought this up previously. My choices are to break the law or not have it at all.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    paramedic70002 wrote:
    Just another exaple of why this is a bad law.

    Say I'm on duty as a Paramedic and I get called to a choking at this restaurant, and I am armed. My employer (career) / Rescue Captain (volunteer) isn't aware of my armed status. Concealed means concealed, right? The vehicle I am in cannot be positively secured (other employees/broken locks). What am I supposed to do?

    There is no "allowance" for emergency responders, as I have seen mentioned when I have brought this up previously. My choices are to break the law or not have it at all.
    I have never know anyone in the medical field to carry a gun on the job. I guess it is because ithas never been necessary to shoot a patient with lead instead of morphine.

    Normally they all carry a pouch with some scissors so they can cut away clothing.

    In my experience... rescue always stages nearby when the situation is one where there is danger. The police roll up and secure the scene and then tell them to come in when it is safe.

    The likeliness that rescue will be"jacked" while attending to avictim choking on a ham sandwich is not that great.


  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    The likeliness that rescue will be"jacked" while attending to avictim choking on a ham sandwich is not that great.
    Likewise, the likelihood that I will ever be in a major accident on the "safe" roads in my quiet neighborhood is extremely remote. Nevertheless, I still wear my seatbelt all the time, and believe it or not, so do all the other "paranoid safety freaks" in my neighborhood!!! Someone needs to educate them how to determine when they will need their belts, and when they won't.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    I have never know anyone in the medical field to carry a gun on the job. I guess it is because ithas never been necessary to shoot a patient with lead instead of morphine.

    Normally they all carry a pouch with some scissors so they can cut away clothing.

    In my experience... rescue always stages nearby when the situation is one where there is danger. The police roll up and secure the scene and then tell them to come in when it is safe.

    The likeliness that rescue will be"jacked" while attending to avictim choking on a ham sandwich is not that great.
    Wrong! Some services carry 'Schedule' narcotics and are prime targets for drug thugs.

    A personal anecdote is not a source of good public policy - or personal belief. Believe nothing you read or hear unless you validate yourself or it fits your pre-existing worldview.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

  22. #22
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    nvm
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    The likeliness that rescue will be"jacked" while attending to avictim choking on a ham sandwich is not that great.
    Likewise, the likelihood that I will ever be in a major accident on the "safe" roads in my quiet neighborhood is extremely remote. Nevertheless, I still wear my seatbelt all the time, and believe it or not, so do all the other "paranoid safety freaks" in my neighborhood!!! Someone needs to educate them how to determine when they will need their belts, and when they won't.
    I disagree with the likelyhood of major accidents in a quiet neighborhood. We have had several in our "quiet" residential neighborhood including 2 deaths but no shootings. Don't you know that most accidents happen within five miles of home so let your wife drive until you get out of the area.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    I have never know anyone in the medical field to carry a gun on the job. I guess it is because ithas never been necessary to shoot a patient with lead instead of morphine.

    Normally they all carry a pouch with some scissors so they can cut away clothing.

    In my experience... rescue always stages nearby when the situation is one where there is danger. The police roll up and secure the scene and then tell them to come in when it is safe.

    The likeliness that rescue will be"jacked" while attending to avictim choking on a ham sandwich is not that great.
    Wrong! Some services carry 'Schedule' narcotics and are prime targets for drug thugs.

    A personal anecdote is not a source of good public policy - or personal belief. Believe nothing you read or hear unless you validate yourself or it fits your pre-existing worldview.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******
    Pardon me..... What exactly was "Wrong!" ???

    Oh wait.... from you.. everything..!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    I have never know anyone in the medical field to carry a gun on the job. I guess it is because ithas never been necessary to shoot a patient with lead instead of morphine.
    I know several that work in the Medical profession that carry at work, from EMT's to Doctors.

    http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp...9&nav=15MV
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/09/20/hospital.shooting.ap/index.html

    If more did maybe this might not have happened.

    The Obstetrician that delivered my sonCC's a HK USP Elite.
    If you read Concealed Carry Magazine there is a Dr. K. R. (Neurologist/Neurosurgeon) that writes for them, he is known to carry a brace of Glocks,helives in LV.


    Plumbers do not carry guns for their job but maybe they should too.

    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...mp;oref=slogin

    Just because a few have people of a given profession were attacked is no reason forALLto start packing a gun on the job. I am not aware of a rash of plumbers getting "jacked" while installing a water heaters.

    Plumbers work in kitchens and if they are going to carry in a alcohol serving restaurant kitchens then they need to be added to the exemption of the VA state code too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •