• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

**Update** - LEO encounter while OCing in Akron

Taclead

imported post

Below is a police bulletin as a result of my discussion with the Akron Police (See LEO encounter while OCing in Akron) written by Sgt. Jeff Mullins, Training Bureau. Reviewed and Approved by Police Legal Advisor, Mr. Tom DiCaudo, Asst. Prosecutor, City of Akron.

Information for officers regarding “Open Carry” of firearms by citizens

In late summer in Akron, Ohio a couple officers saw a man walking on a Main St. sidewalk with a pistol strapped in a holster on his hip in plain view. The man said nothing and did nothing threatening. In fact, he was with his adult daughter and the two stepped into a restaurant to order food. He was just going about his own business. The officers were concerned, not yet alarmed, but wondered, “What police action should we take?”

When Concealed Carry was made legal in Ohio some changes came about that affect local law. Most recently, state law enacted “preemption” with purpose to make any and all laws pertaining to firearms a statewide matter with uniform regulation and enforcement. Simply put, the state law trumps any pre-existing local ordinances and prohibits creation of new ordinances in conflict with state law.

Under state law, there is no prohibition against carrying a firearm openly, i.e., not concealed. A permit is not required to carry this way. Carrying a pistol openly on the hip is not breaking the law. This action in and of itself alone is not a basis for a stop.

Neither is carrying a gun openly disorderly conduct or inducing panic. If an officer engages in conversation with a person who is carrying a gun openly, but otherwise not committing a crime, the person cannot be required to produce identification. The law does specify that a person may not carry a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle except under the provisions set forth for a person who possesses a concealed handgun license (CHL).

It is rare that people carry this way in Akron. However, if you do come across a person with a gun holstered in plain view, think before you act. Is he breaking any law? Is he threat? Is he doing anything that constitutes a Terry[/i] stop? If not, be cautious, keep on eye on his actions and let him go about his way.
Sgt. Jeff Mullins, Training Bureau. Reviewed and Approved by Police Legal Advisor, Mr. Tom DiCaudo, Asst. Prosecutor, City of Akron.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow! I'm impressed. Nice work, Taclead. Now if the various police departments in VA would circulate a similar memo, we'd be in great shape. All the comments in the Akron memo pertain to OC in VA except for the auto restrictions.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Taclead, you're my hero for the day! Nice job man!

:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Excellent! I am near Akron, and this will be very helpful. How in the world did you manage to get your hands on this? By any chance, do you have the bulletin in the orginal format? I would like to add it to my collection of papers I carry around with me.

Taclead

imported post

My daughter works in a law office in downtown Akron and kept in touch with the training Sgt during this time period to follow up. He sent it to her.

Here is the Word Document I received.

Attachments

• Open Carry II.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 414

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Thank you! I think this is going to prove to be a help to local OCers.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Can't beat this;it's a regular document format "all you can download buffet". If you can't find a format that works, I don't know what you tell you! :) I am going to be showing this bulletin to a few people that are still convinced that OC is crazy and I am just asking for trouble.

Legba

imported post

I don't know that this would help in my legal case, but if it gets to the point whereI'm in front of a jury, then maybe I can overwhelm themwith obliquely-relevant pro-gun exhibits, and maybe the idea that not everyone with a gun is a psycho bent on mayhem might take a little easier. I printed a copy in any case. I'll put it with the "I share your pain" bullshit sympathy letter from the governor.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

My copy is going in the "just in case I get pulled by an uniformedLEO" folder. I really want to get a sympathy letter from the governor too... But I don't want that bad. Not bad enough to deal with your brand of legal issues, Legba. BTW, I thought you were free and cleared on that deal, or was that just my wishful thinking?

Legba

imported post

Don't bother. I had the entire "weapons control" section of the ORC printed out in my car, which still sits, impounded, over a month later, with the printouts scattered on the floor of the car from the search...

-ljp

p.s. I was, briefly, free and clear. Some bastard prosecutor introduced "new evidence" or otherwise revisited the issue with the grand jury, who indicted me 2 days after they cleared me. Hoffa didn't have to deal with bullshit of this order.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Great work, Taclead. Good on you!

And the bulletin is very nicely written. Plain and clear.

Demarest

imported post

This is not the first such bulletin. However, we could have one per county and locality and I would still not be tired of seeing responsible police work such as this.

Legba

imported post

Well, I prefer not to put my personal info out like that on the internet. Anyone can get my real name, address, date of birth, etc, evenif I just reference the case number. Iguess Icould scan it and redact the personal info, but you can just PM me with any particular (not-overly-personal/intrusive) questions.

In short, it's a felony-4 CCW complaint. Standard form otherwise, complete with "against the peace and dignity of the State of Ohio" closing remark. I've never pissed off an entire state before. Pretty neat that. I got arraigned already and have a preliminary hearing around the middle of November. One step at a time.

-ljp