• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYC Off Duty LEO Shoots, Kills Man In 5 AM Road Rage Incident

imperialism2024

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Still, prosecutors said there was evidence that Officer Sawyer was possibly justified when he fired at the Honda. Officials said that idea was reinforced by the account of a passenger in Mr. Tirado’s car, Jason Batista, 21, who has said in interviews that after Officer Sawyer’s threat, Mr. Tirado hinted that he had a gun, and even pointed his finger in a firing motion.
Prosecutors said it was not unusual to delay charges in a homicide case, especially if there was a claim that the shooting was justified. One hypothetical example, officials said, would be when a store owner shoots a robber.
Well, media, I believe that it is more analogous to a store owner who, after seeing a person spit on the sidewalk in front of his store, runs out of the store while yelling about how he's gonna kill some "nigger" and then proceeds to start firing into the crowd of people on the sidewalk when one of them "points his finger in a firing motion."

Oh wait, it's not analogous, because a store owner is subject to the Law of the People while the "L"EO in question is subject to the Law of the Police.

What would be even more interesting is what would have happened if one of the passengers of the target vehicle would have shot back at the "L"EO after said "L"EO opened fire...

:cuss::banghead:

DeltaII5

imported post

If this statement is accurate and a stress if then it sounds like the officer was shitfaced.
Next, the police said, the man identified himself as a police officer and he said he believed he had been involved in a shooting in which someone was killed. Then he gave the sergeant his mini-Glock. Officer Sawyer said he was giving them a gun used in the shooting, saying, “This is the gun,” said a law enforcement official. An ambulance arrived and took the officer to the hospital for observation.

I dunno what you'd be out doing at 5am besides drinking, anyways. At least this cop only took 3 shots to kill someone, alot better than usual 100+ rounds with only one dead guy.

nickerj1

imported post

DeltaII5 wrote:
If this statement is accurate and a stress if then it sounds like the officer was shitfaced.
Next, the police said, the man identified himself as a police officer and he said he believed he had been involved in a shooting in which someone was killed. Then he gave the sergeant his mini-Glock. Officer Sawyer said he was giving them a gun used in the shooting, saying, “This is the gun,” said a law enforcement official. An ambulance arrived and took the officer to the hospital for observation.

I dunno what you'd be out doing at 5am besides drinking, anyways. At least this cop only took 3 shots to kill someone, alot better than usual 100+ rounds with only one dead guy.

I was wondering about that as well. Why would the officer not know he was the shooter? But then one article said the victim ended up driving a few blocks after he was shot and then pulling over and calling an ambulance. So maybe the officer thought he missed.

As far as the 5am thing goes... He's a UC narc. He could be doing just about anything at any given time and deem it "I was working undercover." I didn't even think those guys went "off-duty".

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I noticed that instead of sending him promptly to jail he went to the hospital for observation. Think any non-cop would get that consideration after committing a drunken road rage murder?

Marco

imported post

DeltaII5 wrote:
I dunno what you'd be out doing at 5am besides drinking,
Is there a curfew in the U.S.A. thatI don't know about:question:

Several people work odd hrs or leave early to avoid traffic andgo to the gym, I can do almost anything at 5am that can be done at noon except go inside a bank.

I don't believe the officer should be getting special treatment.
And they wonder why I wear a Vest when I travel to NYC:banghead:

ijusam

imported post

ilbob wrote:
I noticed that instead of sending him promptly to jail he went to the hospital for observation. Think any non-cop would get that consideration after committing a drunken road rage murder?
He flagged down the officers and said he was having chest pains and needed an ambulance. He then reported his involvement in the shooting and turned over the gun. Chest painwould take priority over going to the jail for anyone. Depending on the PD and facilities available injuries may be taken to the hospital first or to the facility (jail, prison, ect.) and checked out by medical staff there. Chest Paincan be an indicatorof apotentially fatal condition. thus it takes priority.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I heard from a few firearms trainers that asking to go to the hospital to get checked out after a shooting incident is a very good idea. Gives you a chance to calm down and get a grip on yourself, get checked out for any injuries, and allows your lawyer to get there and keep you from saying anything that could be used against you.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ijusam wrote:
ilbob wrote:
He flagged down the officers and said he was having chest pains and needed an ambulance. He then reported his involvement in the shooting and turned over the gun. Chest painwould take priority over going to the jail for anyone. Depending on the PD and facilities available injuries may be taken to the hospital first or to the facility (jail, prison, ect.) and checked out by medical staff there. Chest Paincan be an indicatorof apotentially fatal condition. thus it takes priority.
Want to bet he got a hold ofhis lawyer first?

DT4E31

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
snip...You do not reach down into a car on a New York City police officer."
Well, I guess the standards for being in fear for your life have fallen a bit in NYC.

And it's amazing how quickly the DA decided that it was a justified shooting.

I wonder what LEO 229 would say about this one...
Where did you read that the DA's office determined it was a clean shoot? This matter goes before a grand jury to decide. It never happens within days it usually takes weeks. The only time something goes before the grand jury within a week is if the subject refuses to waive the 180 and then the DA's office must act within 5 business days. Thats the procedure in NYS. Hank I know you have a habit of posting without all the facts (they tend to get in your way), but try to surprise us one day and do your homework first. Thanks again and good luck in all your future endeavors.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
snip...You do not reach down into a car on a New York City police officer."
Well, I guess the standards for being in fear for your life have fallen a bit in NYC.

And it's amazing how quickly the DA decided that it was a justified shooting.

I wonder what LEO 229 would say about this one...
Where did you read that the DA's office determined it was a clean shoot? This matter goes before a grand jury to decide. It never happens within days it usually takes weeks. The only time something goes before the grand jury within a week is if the subject refuses to waive the 180 and then the DA's office must act within 5 business days. Thats the procedure in NYS. Hank I know you have a habit of posting without all the facts (they tend to get in your way), but try to surprise us one day and do your homework first. Thanks again and good luck in all your future endeavors.
I think it was in the initial NYT story. Google is your fren, DT...

expvideo

imported post

DeltaII5 wrote:
I dunno what you'd be out doing at 5am besides drinking, anyways.

I leave for work at 5am. A lot of people work graveyard and get off work at 5am. Such as denny's workers or cops. Some people even DO go out to bars and then spend a bunch of time being the designated driver and driving their friends home. Or maybe he stayed the night with his girlfriend and needed to get back home to shower before work, so he left early. Generally 5am isn't the drunk driver time. The bars get out at 2am, and most of the drunks are home or in jail by about 3am. I'm speculating of course, since I'm not a cop, but I doubt he was drunk.

DeltaII5

imported post

expvideo wrote:
DeltaII5 wrote:
I dunno what you'd be out doing at 5am besides drinking, anyways.

I leave for work at 5am. A lot of people work graveyard and get off work at 5am. Such as denny's workers or cops. Some people even DO go out to bars and then spend a bunch of time being the designated driver and driving their friends home. Or maybe he stayed the night with his girlfriend and needed to get back home to shower before work, so he left early. Generally 5am isn't the drunk driver time. The bars get out at 2am, and most of the drunks are home or in jail by about 3am. I'm speculating of course, since I'm not a cop, but I doubt he was drunk.

He got out of work at 7pm.

It's NYC.

No one seems to know where he was for several hours.

He madea dumb decisions to get involved in a road rage incident.

He leaves the scene, why (probably to sober up, no one is that dumb to leave the scene knowing they will be under alot of suspicion).

He turns himself in saying he believed he was involved in a shooting.

He was at the bar

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DeltaII5 wrote:
He was at the bar

A good bet, I'd say. At least, it's a good bet that he was getting buzzed somewhere.

Getting intoxicated is known to lead to bad judgment-getting involved in unnecessary road rage incidents; extremely bad judgment--shooting at humans in a road-rage incident; and absolutely horrendous judgment--fleeing the scene like a common gangbanger criminal.

For such a high profile case, it's odd that there are no updates on Google news for the 29th and 30th. Not one story shows up. My, how the thin blue line wraps around to attempt to protect this muderous cop. But it's hopeless. Stick a fork in this guy. He's done. He's going to jail.

Even Al Sharpton is after him, as the latest story shows:

ROAD-SLAY DAUGHTER'S TRAGIC TRUTH

By KEVIN FASICK

article_storybottom.gif

October 28, 2007 -- The fiancée of a Harlem man gunned down in a road-rage attack by an off-duty NYPD officer said yesterday that it broke her heart to explain to their daughter what had happened because the little girl wants to be a cop.
"She sees her father in his coffin. It's hard for me to tell her what happened to her father, especially when she wants to be a cop when she grows up," Jayson Tirado's fiancée, Lisa Claudio, said as she cradled 4-year-old Jaylene in her arms.
Meanwhile, hundreds gathered yesterday to pay their final respects to Tirado for a second day at a funeral home on the Lower East Side.
Tirado, 25, was gunned down on Oct. 21 by off-duty Queens narcotics Officer Sean Sawyer in Harlem after the two got into an argument while turning off the FDR Drive. Sawyer turned himself in to the police 19 hours later.
At a rally earlier yesterday, the Rev. Al Sharpton blasted Sawyer for acting as if he were in "the wild West."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10282007/news/regionalnews/road_slay_daughters_tragic_tru.htm

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:
DeltaII5 wrote:
He was at the bar

A good bet, I'd say. At least, it's a good bet that he was getting buzzed somewhere.

Getting intoxicated is known to lead to bad judgment-getting involved in unnecessary road rage incidents; extremely bad judgment--shooting at humans in a road-rage incident; and absolutely horrendous judgment--fleeing the scene like a common gangbanger criminal.

For such a high profile case, it's odd that there are no updates on Google news for the 29th and 30th. Not one story shows up. My, how the thin blue line wraps around to attempt to protect this muderous cop. But it's hopeless. Stick a fork in this guy. He's done. He's going to jail.

Even Al Sharpton is after him, as the latest story shows:

ROAD-SLAY DAUGHTER'S TRAGIC TRUTH

By KEVIN FASICK

article_storybottom.gif

October 28, 2007 -- The fiancée of a Harlem man gunned down in a road-rage attack by an off-duty NYPD officer said yesterday that it broke her heart to explain to their daughter what had happened because the little girl wants to be a cop.
"She sees her father in his coffin. It's hard for me to tell her what happened to her father, especially when she wants to be a cop when she grows up," Jayson Tirado's fiancée, Lisa Claudio, said as she cradled 4-year-old Jaylene in her arms.
Meanwhile, hundreds gathered yesterday to pay their final respects to Tirado for a second day at a funeral home on the Lower East Side.
Tirado, 25, was gunned down on Oct. 21 by off-duty Queens narcotics Officer Sean Sawyer in Harlem after the two got into an argument while turning off the FDR Drive. Sawyer turned himself in to the police 19 hours later.
At a rally earlier yesterday, the Rev. Al Sharpton blasted Sawyer for acting as if he were in "the wild West."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10282007/news/regionalnews/road_slay_daughters_tragic_tru.htm

Damn, Al Sharpton makes a gratuitous wild west comment. I am shocked. Why are we blaming the police officer? He didn't do it, his Glock did it. The really wild places are D.C., Chicago and Killadelphia.

This police officer cannot hide behind a shield, that was already taken away. He fled like the felon that he is.It is a pity thatthis bad apple will tarnish the very good reputation of the NYPD.

Random Obsevation: Much bettermarksman than most police. 3 shots, one kill.

Thundar

imported post

This is not the first bad shoot this year for the NYPD. I wonder if the dealer that provides guns to the policeis "responsible" forthe most gun deaths in NYC. Should the ACLU or the city be able to sue this roguegun dealer? :lol: