• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could it be that a two year old....

KBCraig

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
It's funny, my 4 year old son knows more about gun safety and what to do than most antis.

He has a few toy guns, but the last time he played with it, he was pretending to clean it :lol::lol::lol::lol: I must be doing something right .
Heh! My 4 year old son (ever the vocal one) has been known to tell strangers in Wal Mart: "Guns can be very dangerous. Never point guns at people or pets. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot the target!" (I tought him an age-appropriate version of "The Rules" when he was only 3, and it seems to have stuck. :D )

My boy doesn't have any toy guns. He does have his own Crickett .22, and he treats all guns as if they're "real" guns, and loaded. He'll turn 5 next month; it's time for more range time in the back yard with Aguila Super Colibri, and balloons as targets.
:celebrate

PackininVB

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
PackininVB wrote:
Whats kinda funny is that the pilots in my squadron aren't allowed to fly with one in the chamber. (they carry when on combat missions). The thinking behind this is because they are worried that while turning their body side to side while doing what they do for 6 hour flights could inadvertantly pull the hammer back and accidentally pull the trigger somehow. I told them that was rediculous, but they just said it was policy...
I suspect it has more to do with not wanting a negligent discharge when they clear the chamber after flying. Besides, it's not as though they'd have to use it while they're in the cockpit, and they'll have plenty of time to chamber a round on the parachute ride down.

Im in a squadron of Hornets, Charlies to be exact. When i talked to the pilot who was putting away the guns from a flight he said they dont do it so that they dont inadvertantly set it off. I told him that that would be pretty hard to do and asked what would happen if they ejected over enemy territory and one of their arms was broken? That would make it a little difficult to load a round. I dont remember his answer

I think that they are overly worried (as they are with most things) about little things that probably wouldnt happen. Even ejecting, if it wont go off by hitting it on accident, then it wont go off while ejecting.

They have clearing stations in the Ready Rooms. Little things that they can stick the barrel in and clear it, its completely rubber or something so i dont think clearing it is a problem. And what if they were knocked out on the parachute ride down. And carry to commit suicide? Oviously Scott O'Grady didnt pay attention to that rule,and they put to much money into training these guys to have them kill themselves. Killing yourself as an option is only in the movies, or maybe in some no-name agency that ive never worke for and would not know their policies.

TheEggman

imported post

If you can drag an anti to the range ...

While quite a few won't even entertain the idea, if you can manage to get an anti to a GOOD, family type shooting range the battle is almost won.

In my experience, once they actually handle and fire a firearm ... well, it's like they are born again.

Part of it is the safety instructions a guest at a good range has to go through before being allowed on the line. (The NRA Range is a good example, plus they get a 'Range Card' as a souvinier and reminder.)

Next comes a semi-understanding of the mechanics involved. I have an old SW that I demo by putting a round in the chamber and whacking the back of the hammer spur with a small hammer. I've been through a few bent/broken hammer blocks but the demo is worth it. (See, it won't go off when you drop it.)

Worth it's weight in gunpowder, however, is the look on their face when they look downrange and see that actiually hit the 7yd. target.

HINTS: Start them off with a small caliber, non-threatening single or double action (uses as single action) revolver. Try to have one with a 6" or so barrell to increase their chances of success.

When it's time to move up to a semi-auto, give them a full-size, 9mm 1911.

Choose 9mm because it's managable for a newbie, and a full-sized 1911 because of the mass and all of the safeties involved. If the anti is a woman or of smaller stature you should opt for a semi-compact 1911.

You want them to understand, these things don't just 'go off.'

Use plain paper targets with no markings at all. You want them to feel good about hitting a target, not bad for missing a bullseye. (Also the sillouette targets are just too much for an already overloaded brain.)

If they have any degree of success the next target should be a 'Fun One" like a Poker Game rather than aim competitive. (Let them win a few)

Even if we don't get a 'convert' at least we have planted a seed and done a bit of education.

When you DO, get a convert, however, watch out. It's the first taste of real independence and perceived power that some of these people have ever had.

Perhaps we should start a campaign for a national 'Take an Anti to the Range" day.

Good luck!

sjhipple

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Whenever somebody says something like that, I simply say, "How?"

I invite them to explain in detail how a particular gun will "just go off".

Most often, they'll just say, "Well, I don't know anything about guns!!!" I just say, "EXACTLY..."

It's unbelievable how people who know so little about a given subject will form such strong and unshakable opinions about said subject, all the while admitting as they spew their militant beliefs "I have no f***ing clue what I'm talking about."

But maybe it's just me. I think with my head and can't imagine it working any other way.

Deanimator

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Most often, they'll just say, "Well, I don't know anything about guns!!!" I just say, "EXACTLY..."

It's unbelievable how people who know so little about a given subject will form such strong and unshakable opinions about said subject, all the while admitting as they spew their militant beliefs "I have no f***ing clue what I'm talking about."

But maybe it's just me. I think with my head and can't imagine it working any other way.
I saw the same thing in the "peace" movement in the '80s. Twits like Helen Caldicott never knew anything about military technology and never wanted to. It was all reductio ad absurdam, and that's ALL they had. Their "arguments" (and those of anti-gunners) were contemptible enough to draw a sneer from the average five year old.

sjhipple

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

I saw the same thing in the "peace" movement in the '80s. Twits like Helen Caldicott never knew anything about military technology and never wanted to. It was all reductio ad absurdam, and that's ALL they had. Their "arguments" (and those of anti-gunners) were contemptible enough to draw a sneer from the average five year old.
I consider myself a member of the modern peace movement...and I think my arguments are pretty sound and well thought out.