• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws regarding hollow points

klasikahl

imported post

Heard a rumor that there is a state law that says you can't carry a full clip of hollow points in a handgun. My friend said that hollow points must be alternated with ball ammo. Can anyone confirm/deny this please?

crtbc

imported post

never heard this point b4 and would be counter productive in my mind, they can't really tell you what ammo to carry....

cesides there have been trials where someone was shot with FMJ .45 and the coroner ruled the BG was shot in the back due to none expansion... forensics and finding the bullet IN THE NEXT BUILDING proved the coroner wrong

I carry full mag of hollows and one in the pipe

zakst1

imported post

Granted it's kind of a dated, I read in Massad Ayoob's "The Gravest Extreme" that there was a lady who faced criminal charges for carrying hallow points in New Jersey. I don't know if that is valid today. I'm in WA and I carry them as well.

klasikahl

imported post

crtbc wrote:
I carry full mag of hollows and one in the pipe
Same. I was so surprised that I figured I should ask. I made the same ballistics argument - carrying FMJ for self defense could be a substantial liability risk too.

Brian D.

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
Granted it's kind of a dated, I read in Massad Ayoob's "The Gravest Extreme" that there was a lady who faced criminal charges for carrying hallow points in New Jersey. I don't know if that is valid today. I'm in WA and I carry them as well.
I believe that New Jersey still has that ban on hollowpoint ammo, zakst1. Now since recent improvements in ammo technology have given us the option of expanding full metal jacket bullets,don't knowwhether NJ has since updated their prohibtion to include those as well.

american-kiwi

imported post

Hi All....the only thing my CCW instructor told us at the class was...in AZ as long as you boughtyourtype of ammo you use over the counter you are safe...use "custom hand loads"...and your in a "whole heap of trouble!!" if used in deadly force...John in Sierra Vista AZ

swift

imported post

My AZ CCW instructors mentioned not only that you can carry hollowpoints in AZ for self defense purposes, but that you should for the following reasons:

1) Safety of innocent bystanders - you don't want a non-expanding FMJ to over-penetrate the perp & hit some innocent bystander somewhere down range of him or her that you didn't know about.

2) Safety of the criminal - it is easier for the doctor to patch up 2 to 4 slightly larger holes that it took to stop the bad guy's advance than it is to patch up 5 to 10 smaller holes left by non-expanding FMJ ammo that may be needed to stop the same bad guy.

3) Police use hollow points for the same reasons mentioned above so it would be easy to explain to the Jury why hollow points are the best choice for all envolved - the good guy, the bystanders, & the bad guy.

Ditto on above advice from american-kiwi of using commercially available ammo for self defense although it is fine to use self loaded ammo during most practice sessions if you like. Using standard commercial ammo for self defense also makes it easier for forensics to duplicate the ammo in your gun if needed, and prevents the DA from trying to convice the jury that you used some special customom made extra hot ammo that you made in your own basement with pre-meditated intention to murder the poor innocent victim who "accidently" knocked your front door down while breaking & entering. :)

american-kiwi

imported post

I just picked up 15 boxes of 50 rounds of black talon..for $80 the lot! at a yard sale...ex cop ammo...John in AZ

tarzan1888

imported post

american-kiwi wrote:
I just picked up 15 boxes of 50 rounds of black talon..for $80 the lot! at a yard sale...ex cop ammo...John in AZ

What caliber and do you want to share your good fortune?

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

swift wrote:
My AZ CCW instructors mentioned not only that you can carry hollowpoints in AZ for self defense purposes, but that you should for the following reasons:

1) Safety of innocent bystanders - you don't want a non-expanding FMJ to over-penetrate the perp & hit some innocent bystander somewhere down range of him or her that you didn't know about.

Over penetration is way over hyped. From FBI documented shootings of LE, about 8 out of 10 shots fired miss the intended target. How is a FMJ round that may of may not go through a bad guy, more dangerous than the other 8 shots that miss him all together?

swift wrote:
2) Safety of the criminal - it is easier for the doctor to patch up 2 to 4 slightly larger holes that it took to stop the bad guy's advance than it is to patch up 5 to 10 smaller holes left by non-expanding FMJ ammo that may be needed to stop the same bad guy.

Like I care about the safety of the criminal. My jog is to stop the threat. The key here is shot placement. You improve that by practice, practice, practice.

swift wrote:
3) Police use hollow points for the same reasons mentioned above so it would be easy to explain to the Jury why hollow points are the best choice for all envolved - the good guy, the bystanders, & the bad guy.

[/quote]Police use what they are issued. Using the same ammo as the police could be used for or against you.

swift wrote:
Ditto on above advice from american-kiwi of using commercially available ammo for self defense although it is fine to use self loaded ammo during most practice sessions if you like. Using standard commercial ammo for self defense also makes it easier for forensics to duplicate the ammo in your gun if needed, and prevents the DA from trying to convice the jury that you used some special customom made extra hot ammo that you made in your own basement with pre-meditated intention to murder the poor innocent victim who "accidently" knocked your front door down while breaking & entering. :)

I would agree with this statement on commercial ammo, not to mention the fact that most gun manufacturers say the re-loads will void your warranty.

openryan wrote:
I carry FMJ ...
[/quote]

I have carried FMJ and still do if the need is there, for example when I am in bear country I want maximum penetration and I carry my .357 Magnum with high velocity FMJ rounds.

I don't generally load my normal carry guns with FMJ, but use JHP, not because of any of the reasons mentioned above, but for this reason. Generally a big hole is better in stopping a threat than a small hole. No JHP can boast 100% reliable expansion, as they are commonly plugged with clothing, bone and other materials, but if they expand, it usually doesn't hurt.

Tarzan