• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC from behind

Carondalet

imported post

I think I know the answer to this, but, how about this: I open carry a 1911 in a Bianchi Carry-Lok 82 at 4 O'clock. It sits at a tightFBI cant and can only really be seen if you are between 4 and 7 O'clock behind me. Walking towards me you really cannot see it. It is still open carry, isn't it? Even though you can only see it from the right side or behind?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I seem to remember hearing that it must be visible from three sides. But don't quote me on that. I wear mine at 3, because it's more comfortable of a draw for me, but I can't imagine anyone would give you grief about it unless they really were digging for something to nail you on.

Tazlima

imported post

RS 14:95
Illegal carrying of weapons
[align=justify]A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:[/align] [align=justify](1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;[/align]A few years back, a man was open carrying on his right hip and was stopped for a traffic violation. He was ticketed for concealed carry because the officer couldn't see the weapon through his body.

Based on that case (would welcome a citation here from someone who knows the exact details of the story), they reworded the law to include intent. The man in question did not intend to conceal his weapon, therefore it was not concealed according to the law. So here's the question to you. Is it your intent to conceal your weapon when you carry in that manner? Would a jury BELIEVE that it was your intent to conceal?

Example: I once saw some pictures posted on Glock Talk where someone had 1/4 square inch of the butt of their weapon showing and was saying that it was open carry because of that bit of black. In Louisiana, at least, that wouldn't fly, because he clearly intended the weapon to be concealed.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tazlima wrote:
A few years back, a man was open carrying on his right hip and was stopped for a traffic violation. He was ticketed for concealed carry because the officer couldn't see the weapon trough his body.
That makes about as much sense as saying a gun is concealed from the LEO every time he blinks his eyes.

I blame the public education system...

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Tazlima wrote:
A few years back, a man was open carrying on his right hip and was stopped for a traffic violation. He was ticketed for concealed carry because the officer couldn't see the weapon trough his body.
That makes about as much sense as saying a gun is concealed from the LEO every time he blinks his eyes.

LOLROF!!!! :lol: I blame it for more than just that! Private or Home school all the way!

charlie12

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Tazlima wrote:

LOLROF!!!! :lol: I blame it for more than just that! Private or Home school all the way!

If it's true. Was he out of his car?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Tazlima wrote:

Hey i got a solution to make it 360 degree viewable at all times: duct tape it to your noggin

Sitrep

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Ok, we need to get a law passed so that LEOs are not allowed to blink on duty, obviously they aren't doing their job during a blink.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Tazlima wrote:
RS 14:95
Illegal carrying of weapons

[align=justify]A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:[/align]
[align=justify](1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;[/align]A few years back, a man was open carrying on his right hip and was stopped for a traffic violation. He was ticketed for concealed carry because the officer couldn't see the weapon trough his body.

Based on that case (would welcome a citation here from someone who knows the exact details of the story), they reworded the law to include intent. The man in question did not intend to conceal his weapon, therefore it was not concealed according to the law. So here's the question to you. Is it your intent to conceal your weapon when you carry in that manner? Would a jury BELIEVE that it was your intent to conceal?

Example: I once saw some pictures posted on Glock Talk where someone had 1/4 square inch of the butt of their weapon showing and was saying that it was open carry because of that bit of black. In Louisiana, at least, that wouldn't fly, because he clearly intended the weapon to be concealed.

State v. Fluker, 311 So. 2d 836

"...a weapon is not concealed, even if not in full, open, view, if it is sufficiently exposed to reveal its identity. thus, a gun in a holster on one's hip is not illegal."

Tazlima

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
IdahoCorsair wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Tazlima wrote:

If it's true. Was he out of his car?
Sitting in the car w/ the LEO outside the window.

aroundlsu

imported post

If he was sitting in his car what law was he breaking? I was under the impression concealed carry laws don't apply in your business or home. And as we all know the car is an extension of your home.

tarzan1888

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
I think I know the answer to this, but, how about this: I open carry a 1911 in a Bianchi Carry-Lok 82 at 4 O'clock. It sits at a tightFBI cant and can only really be seen if you are between 4 and 7 O'clock behind me. Walking towards me you really cannot see it. It is still open carry, isn't it? Even though you can only see it from the right side or behind?

Hay I have one of those too for my 1911 and I love it.

Oh yea I would consider it open carry.

Tarzan

Carondalet

imported post

Yeah, I love it, too. I have Bianchi Carrylok 82 for both my 1911 and my SW CS.45. I just ordered a model 83 for the 1911. It's the same as an 82, but is a paddle that adjusts for cant and height. That way it can be used for crossdraw, too. I'm kinda funny in that I will not open carry without a retention holster. Do you know of an IWB holster that has retention or finger lock other than a tension screw?