• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member, quick question

derek88

imported post

I just joined and have a couple questions. When u say anyonecan open carry w a license are you talking about a drivers license? I own a glock 9mm that I own and is registered to me. Is that all I need to open carry? And where can I open carry and cannot, besides schools, airports, the common sense places? Sorry, I know these questions have probably been asked but I couldnt find any on my specific questions. Also, when I do open carry but have to drive somewhere, Ill be fine as long as I put it in my case while driving right? thanks guys

kparker

imported post

A question, and a recommendation:

1. What do you mean "registered to me"? Utah doesn't have gun registration.
  2. Regardinging "common sense places", I'd strongly advise you to forgot common sense, and learn and understand what your state laws actually say. Since these laws are made by legislators, common sense may not be particularly discernable in what they require.
Hopefully some of the Utah folks can provide pointers to specific Utah laws...

Tacomatose

imported post

derek88 wrote:
I just joined and have a couple questions. When u say anyonecan open carry w a license are you talking about a drivers license? I own a glock 9mm that I own and is registered to me. Is that all I need to open carry? And where can I open carry and cannot, besides schools, airports, the common sense places? Sorry, I know these questions have probably been asked but I couldnt find any on my specific questions. Also, when I do open carry but have to drive somewhere, Ill be fine as long as I put it in my case while driving right? thanks guys

First Question: How did you here about our forum? Was it the Deseret New article? Just curious.

by license we are talking about a concealed carry license. You don't need a license to open carry as long as the gun is unloaded (can't have a round in the chamber). If you do have a CCW permit, then you can have the gun fully loaded. Most of the actual text of the laws are posted on this site, or you can find them here as well www.bci.utah.gov If you have any other questions, feel free to post them up, or you PM me and I can make sure to lead you to the right people. Either way, welcome to the forum.

tarzan1888

imported post

derek88 wrote:

In order to truly help you we need to know a little about you.

How much experience do you have with guns?

What is the reason you want to carry?

What brought you to this forum?

These are just a few of the things that would be helpful to us to know how to help you.

My first impression, from you post, is that you know very little about guns and should FIRST, sign up for a gun safety course and then go from there.

Tarzan

derek88

imported post

Yes i heard about you from the news article

I have plenty of experience w guns (pistols and rifles). And have taken gun safety and also the ccwclass 3 yrs agobut was denied when i sent in the papers because of a misdemeanor when i was 18. But its been 7 yrs so I just need to take the class again. My inexperience isnt w guns. Its w the open carry laws as far as where (locations)its legal. I would like to carry for self protection. Im well aware of the laws concerning situations when using deadly force is legal.Just not about carryingaround town w out a permit. (Something my ccw instructor failed to cover).

xmirage2kx

imported post

Check the laws, I don’t know about the whole denied before and how long those things last, but assuming you can carry these are the Utah rules:

Open carry of an unloaded weapon is legal in utah.

Utah unloaded is 2 actions from firing (semi auto = full mag, not chambered)

No secure areas, no school (1000+ft without a permit); no LDS churches (most common areas)

Car carry must be non-accessible and unloaded

Review the laws FIRST, then carry. The above are Vague and there are many details that need reviewed.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/76_0C.htm

althor

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Check the laws, I don’t know about the whole denied before and how long those things last, but assuming you can carry these are the Utah rules:

Open carry of an unloaded weapon is legal in utah.

Utah unloaded is 2 actions from firing (semi auto = full mag, not chambered)

No secure areas, no school (1000+ft without a permit); no LDS churches (most common areas)

Car carry must be non-accessible and unloaded

Review the laws FIRST, then carry. The above are Vague and there are many details that need reviewed.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/76_0C.htm

I don't think you're correct regarding vehicle carry. Without a CFP you may not carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, but I don't believe there is any requirement to keep it 'non-accessible'. In fact, if you want to I believe you can place it on the seat next to you, on the dash or any other place where it is visible. You can also keep one in the trunk or other storage area.

If you place it in a console area or glove-box it is considered concealed. It is also considered concealed under the seat, unless it is securely encased (locking not required).

xmirage2kx

imported post

Yes, you are right about just being visible, but it has been known to give people headaches due to stubborn LEOs. Since visible is not defined (aka sometimes the dashboard is visible, other times it is not. I have even heard of tinted windows being not visible by some LEOs [regardless of if it is correct]) inaccessible seemed like the safer 1 sentence answer.

b1ack5mith

imported post

aslong as nothing is preventing you from owning a firearm... you may carry openly WITHOUT a permit aslong as youre over 18 (im the fresh faced 18 yr old in the article... yeahhhh i do look 16ish... glad my pic wasnt in there tho :D)

b1ack5mith

imported post

BY THE WAY GUYS! im gunna go on ride-a-longs with police officers soon, i have a friend who was a cop for 15 yrs, and hes gunna re-join the force, so i wanna learn this stuff... (wanna be a reserve officer)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

76-10-501. Definitions.

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.

(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.