• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student studying to become LEO is in danger of being expelled

What do you think of this story?

• The student did nothing wrong, why is he being punished?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The student should have known better than to scare people like that.

• This student should be made an example to other kids that violence is not acceptable.

• We should pass more gun laws and also fashion laws that ban duty belts from school.

• Total voters

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200710/655583600.html

School Takes Action After Weapons Scare

Oct 22 2007 6:54PM
news_cardington102207.jpg
CARDINGTON, Ohio -
Cardington Lincoln High School administrators and police were investigating an incident at the school after a student allegedly brought a weapon to the school last week.

On Thursday, somebody thought they saw a gun.

"The student's name was given (to administrators)," said Cardington Lincoln principal Taylor Gerhardt. "The dean of students contacted the student and he was brought to the office."

The student, who is studying to be a police officer, insisted he did not have a gun but lifted his coat to reveal his gun belt, 10TV's Kurt Ludlow reported.

"What was on his duty belt is a magazine pouch, extra magazines for a handgun, radio, belt keepers to hold the belt on, handcuffs, flashlight and a pouch that holds gloves," said Cardington police Chief Rick Pryor.

The school was not locked down and Gerhardt, who was out of the building, did not learn about the incident until Friday morning, Ludlow reported.

It was not until Friday night when the school was searched and no gun was found. No information about the incident was sent home to parents until Monday, Ludlow reported.

"You have to be very responsible about giving information out to the community," Gerhardt said. "Before I would need to make sure all the facts that I need to have so that I would not be part of feeding information to the concerned parents and the community members that was not completely thorough and true."

Pryor said that the school could have at least called police.

"I said it was one thing that I was kind of disappointed in," Pryor said. "If somebody thought a student had a gun, they could have at least called. They should have called. Safety first."

The student was suspended from school for 10 days and could be expelled, making it difficult for him to achieve his dream of becoming a police officer, Ludlow reported.

FiremanJoe

imported post

Article ---stated
What was on his duty belt is a magazine pouch, extra magazines for a handgun, radio, belt keepers to hold the belt on, handcuffs, flashlight and a pouch that holds gloves," said Cardington police Chief Rick Pryor.

He had Mags with ammo? High School? Ok correct me if I am wrong but you have to be 18 to open carry and 21 for a chl right? Then, if he has all that stuff sounds like he was a active explorer that would then mean he may actually be deputized as auxilllary jr. officer or cadet?????????

Food for thought? Personnally I wouldn't have even taken ammo inside...

XD Owner

imported post

You are assuming the magazines had bullets in them. The article did not say he had ammunition on him, only magazines.

Sounds like a sorry excuse for a school - suspending a kid for wearinga belt with accessories. Give me a break!

:cuss:

Brian D.

imported post

Jeez,would these schoolsrather the kids wear belts to hold theirtrousers up or not? All the flap from administrators about baggy pants falling down 6" below the waist, I thought that was their topic of hysteria du jour. ;)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

FiremanJoe wrote:
He had Mags with ammo? High School? Ok correct me if I am wrong but you have to be 18 to open carry and 21 for a chl right?
You said to correct you if you're wrong; so... where does it say that he had ammo?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Back when I was in high school, I remember kids taking college classes. Maybe he was doing something like that.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I remember kids taking college classes. Maybe he was doing something like that.
Ifind it hard to believe he is authorized to wear his police likeuniform and equipment off duty in any case. I suspect whatever police force is training him is going to have 2nd thoughts about his judgment.

Splat!!

imported post

Criminal justice course is a Jr. and Seniorhigh school vocational class........Sometimes it is required to be in full dress, usually at least one day a week or during a school function which they voluteeer for.................

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I almost hope that's not the case, because it would make the school look even more ridiculous and overbearing. But if it is something like that, I would think the kid would have a fairly solid defense.

Demarest

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Ifind it hard to believe he is authorized to wear his police likeuniform and equipment off duty in any case.
Why? Was there anything on him that was illegal to possess? If not, then there's be nothing wrong with every single human being there dressed similarly.

dngreer wrote:
I almost hope that's not the case, because it would make the school look even more ridiculous and overbearing.
Only if we the people allow it. When we hear of such things taking place, it is our duty to speak out so that it does NOT because habitual. Part of the reason so many things today are ridiculous and overbearing is because nobody spoke out againt it.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Splat!! wrote:
Criminal justice course is a Jr. and Seniorhigh school vocational class........Sometimes it is required to be in full dress, usually at least one day a week or during a school function which they voluteeer for.................

If that was the case, they would certainly know that he would be wearing his uniform, and maybe the gear with it.

The whole case sounds a lot like we are missing a big chunk of information about the true circumstances.

The school would certainly not punish him for doing something he is required to do by the school.

PT111

imported post

Splat!! wrote:
If that were the case it would have been too easy to determine. There was more to it than just that but it does appear to be a stupid move on the part of the school. I really hope there is more to this story than just the administration being idiots.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

You're right, it does seem to be missing something. I haven't found any updates, though.

Lthrnck

imported post

This doesn't even need to be a school activity or school course. The Boy Scouts of America have a branch called "Explorer Scouts" and these scouts can break off into many different vocational fields to learn about that field.

There are many Police, Sheriff and other law enforement Explorer Posts all across the country.

This young man could be a part of on of those Explorer Posts. He may have had a Scout function right after school, and just dressed for the function. I know many years ago we actually held our Cub Scout , Den meetings right at the school. WE would go dressed in our unifoms and go right to the meeting after school let out.

But of course that was back in the day when you could wear you Cub Scout or Boy Scout uniform and not get harrassed by every other kid in school.

Just another thougth about this.

wordsforthought

imported post

Why didn't the student leave his gun belt and supplys in his car...which was in the school parking lot? With the way things are these days any one studying law enforcement or anyone in high school should know not to take things like this into the school. My child attends this school and from what she has told me, the whole story has not been told to the general public. As the police have said....they should have been notified the first day he brought the stuff to school, not the second day....including the pepper spray and supposedly the loaded gun.

nickerj1

imported post

wordsforthought wrote:
Why did the student not leave his gun belt and supplys in his car...which was in the school parking lot?  With the way things are these days any one studying law enforcement or anyone in high school should know to take things like this into the school in order to defend themself.

Fixed that for you.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

wordsforthought wrote:
My child attends this school and from what she has told me, the whole story has not been told to the general public. As the police have said....they should have been notified the first day he brought the stuff to school, not the second day....including the pepper spray and supposedly the loaded gun.
The fact that it seems the whole story has not been told has been stated on previous posts. I really would like to know what really happened. If this kid is not innocent, and was planning a shooting spree, than this is a whole different ballgame. If you would be able to, let us know what the real story is.

Demarest

imported post

wordsforthought wrote:
Why didn't the student leave his gun belt and supplys in his car...which was in the school parking lot? With the way things are these days...
Those in power use similar scare tactics to try and train us to all be quiet, feeble subjects. The fact that the climate is such that you could even suggest this is exactly why people SHOULD carry things like that. We're not talking about contraband of any kind here.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

If he actually had the pepper spray on him then he probably was in violation of some policy or whatnot. Not to say that its fair (hell, yesterday I saw a story of a highschool girl that was expelled because she had a friggen butter knife in her locker), but its just the way things are at the moment. Which is all the more reason to change things.