• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG Opinion coming (hopefully)

joeroket

imported post

I just got a message back from Rep. Mike Sells telling me that he is going to ask the AG for an opinion on open carrying of a firearm and will get back to me with the AG's answer as soon as he gets it.

Agent 47

imported post

joeroket wrote:
I just got a message back from Rep. Mike Sells telling me that he is going to ask the AG for an opinion on open carrying of a firearm and will get back to me with the AG's answer as soon as he gets it.
Now this just means he is going to look at the existing laws and interpret them right? This won't cause him to go "Holy crap, OC is legal?!?! Well we better fix that." That would suck. :shock:

joeroket

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Now this just means he is going to look at the existing laws and interpret them right? This won't cause him to go "Holy crap, OC is legal?!?! Well we better fix that." That would suck. :shock:
Anything could come out of it. I don't think it will be looked at to the negative because there has not been violence or mayhem caused by open carry.

amlevin

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

He would probably just come up with an opinion on what constitutes "Alarm". The legality is there as long as one does not do so at a time, in a place, or manner, yada, yada, yada.

It sure would be nice to have a "benchmark" that everyone can understand. FWIW, read some of the AG opinions re: firearms. The last one I read covered the use of property by a school and firearms.

Marty Hayes

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

He would probably just come up with an opinion on what constitutes "Alarm". The legality is there as long as one does not do so at a time, in a place, or manner, yada, yada, yada.

It sure would be nice to have a "benchmark" that everyone can understand. FWIW, read some of the AG opinions re: firearms. The last one I read covered the use of property by a school and firearms.

The good news is that Rob Mckenna is very pro-gun. I would recommend that everyone contact Rep. Sells and thank him in advance for his efforts.

Marty Hayes

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Open carry is legal ion WA. yo umight want to work with the legislator to make sure the question is a relevant productive question for the AG to answer.

G27

imported post

You're right, Mike. It is legal. But there is one law that offers a very vague translation on what really causing alarm is. There have been a few case laws, but an opinion from the AG might help or hurt us. I'm curious as what his answer will be.

wqbang

imported post

Marty Hayes wrote:
The good news is that Rob Mckenna is very pro-gun. I would recommend that everyone contact Rep. Sells and thank him in advance for his efforts.

Marty Hayes
I figured as much, but I didn't know for sure. It seems as though Rob McKenna is fairly well respected as well.

imported post

G27 wrote:
You're right, Mike. It is legal. But there is one law that offers a very vague translation on what really causing alarm is. There have been a few case laws, but an opinion from the AG might help or hurt us. I'm curious as what his answer will be.
Some time back, I read quite a bit of case law basically stating NO citizen has a right to not be alarmed. Soooo, any state statute basing their twisted logic on the concept of "an alarmed citizen" doesn't hold water.

joeroket

imported post

We all have the right to be alarmed but the point in question is what warrants alarm. The way the law here reads is that the act must "warrant cause for alarm". There is a huge difference between being alarmed of an action and the action warranting alarm.Someones alarm does notautomatically constitute a crime on my part.

amlevin

imported post

Hopefully the AG will see the same logic as the appelate court did in WA v. Casad. All it will take is an opinion that a holstered firearm, carried by a citizen just going about his business, is not cause for alarm. As it stands now the mere sight of a firearm being carried by a non-leo causes not only the "sheeple" in society to claim alarm, but the Leo's themself can claim "alarm".

The AG's opinion will not change the law but it will put Law officers that don't like open carry on notice that they are out of line.

imported post

In Mississippi, the AG's office doesn't function based on logic. If they did, the current situation wouldn't exist. AGAIN: no person, LEO's included, have some sort of "right" to NOT be alarmed. Being alarmed is part of life in the real world, happens every day. Accept it and move on. LEO's can be put on notice they are out of line by their masters (us) telling them so. I do it all the time. I don't need the AG's office to do that for me.

amlevin

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
In Mississippi, the AG's office doesn't function based on logic.
Maybe it's the water. I've heard that the farther down the Mississippi you travel the more often the water has been "recycled" by cities upstream. Could that have any bearing on the lack of logic:?.

devldogs55

imported post

Guess I'm used to Idaho. I asked my rep for help on something and he got me an official AG opinion in 3 weeks.

I'm glad you asked and even more happy he is willing to do it!