Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag - Go Bag

Post imported post

I have a BOB and always throw it in the vehicle I am driving to work. It doesn't ride with me at work - usually only in a vehicle for 10-15 minutes. However I am working on a BOB for carry while driving cars for work.

If you don't know what a BOB is, Hokie94Sheepdog, made a great description for the unlearned on this subject.

"A Bugout bag is what all the poor bastards in California wish they had prepared before their houses started to blaze. It is a bag thathas all the essentials for survival for a 72 hour stint away from base camp in time of crisis. A pack that has food, first aid, water, shelter material, extra clothes, cash, extra i.d., ammo, extra firearm... It is kept for when the SHTF- earthquake, fire, hurricane, famine, pestilence, nuclear disaster, martial law....."
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...o=86656#p86656

Here is a pic of my BOB.

The specific picture containing my sidearm, is what is typically in my pockets. Some of it may end up in a MURSE like the maxpedition bags.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I like the idea and practice it too. Living in an attractive area for terrorist activity, including possible WMD use is my motivation for doing so.

Post imported post

I need to set myself up with one. I'm just lazy.

How do you carry the rifle? Does it fit in that bag?

The only long gun I could conceivably pack is my 10/22 with a folding stock, but even that's too long for my frame pack, and in any case the folding stock is kind ofjunky, so I keep the wood stock on it.

Post imported post

The question is what purpose are you bringing the rifle? For a GHB-Get Home Bag I'd be inclined not to pack one, relying on a pistol for defense. For a GOOD-Get Out Of Dodge a rifle may be more necessary but if it is in your pack how are you going to deploy it?

It's an interesting exercise to ponder.

Post imported post

Well, I just like the idea of having a good rifle around in an emergency.

Of course, one good reason to take it is just the fact that I don't want to leave it behind for the Heroes of Katrina to confiscate. Although, in that case, the .22 is first rifle I'd leave behind, as it's the cheapest to replace.

Post imported post

AR's are a decent choice because they can be broken down to a small package, at least one that doesn't look like a firearm.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    I need to set myself up with one. I'm just lazy.

How do you carry the rifle? Does it fit in that bag?

The only long gun I could conceivably pack is my 10/22 with a folding stock, but even that's too long for my frame pack, and in any case the folding stock is kind ofjunky, so I keep the wood stock on it.
    I don't carry the rifle in the bag. It sits on the seat next to the bag. Or in my Blackhawk Discrete Carry Case for the AR.

Post imported post

a safe is too heavy to carry.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I have a GHB (get home bag) for my car and Mrs. Chin Chin car, as well as a BOB for if we need to leave stately ChinChin mannor. My BOB is the eberlestock gunslinger bag which has room for all of your 3-5 day in the field accessories, as well as proper concealment for a long arm, which in our case are AR-15's.

This way you can carry them and avoid having sheeple panick by (gasp) citizens having those evil black rifles.

Minus any worry about what might happen to stately ChinChin manor, a 5-day camping trip in the wilds of the old dominion would almost be a welcome vacation.

The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

ChinChin, thats a good bag idea. I had seen them before, but never in the BOB context. From your reasoning, I could see purchasing one when I get the money someday.

Post imported post

And if you disassemble the upper and lower receivers, you should be able to conceal the stock, too, right?

Post imported post

Cotton balls in vaseline are a great firestarter.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    For camping I just keep a pack of those little firesticks around from the sporting goods store, but I guess that'll work, too.

Post imported post

You can also use a 9volt battery and some steel wool.

I'll get some pics of my BOB later this week.

longwatch wrote:

Post imported post

For those not already there, AR15.com has a great message board on survival and preparedness topics.

http://ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=10

The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

I have what I would consider a break-down kit. It has enough stuff in it to keep me alive for a day or two, but it's not a sufficient BOB. I'd like to get a BOB, and keep it at home, or in the car for long trips. Personally, I invested in a Polish AKMS (underfolder AK47) because it will fit in a duffle bag and look inconspicuous. I'd like to get a 3-day survival pack put together. I'm thinking that it should contain:

-about 6 MREs, as well as 1 gallon of water
    -fire starters
    -a folding shovel
    -a good hunting knife
    -a handheld CB radio
    -two-way radios
    -extra batteries
    -flashlights
    -hand warmers
    -a good first aid kit
    -a GPS unit
    -extra ammo
    -emergency blankets

I have some of that alreadyin my break-down kit, but I'll have to see about taking pictures of it later.

Post imported post

ChinChin wrote:
    For those not already there, AR15.com has a great message board on survival and preparedness topics.

http://ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=10

Or check out the other (IMO better) thread on LF.
    http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1/m/6311030523

Post imported post

My wife and I both have BOBs at home, and "emergency kits" for the cars. We were just saying last week that we need to pull out the bags and go through them again. We try to do that every 6 months or so to rotate food and stay familiar with what's in there.

Our bags are a LOT bigger than the one in the first post though. I try to keep everything but the kitchen sink on hand. If I need to lighten my load I can always dump stuff out, but if I'm stuck somewhere without something vital I'll be SOL.

I'll try to take some pics of our bags by the weekend, both packed and unpacked to show the contents.

Post imported post

Think of all the people in Southern California RIGHT NOW who were not prepared.

Make your BoB NOW if you haven't already.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    You can also use a 9volt battery and some steel wool.

I'll get some pics of my BOB later this week.

longwatch wrote:
    MilSur trioxane bars are small, light and burn reeealy hot.

http://www.google.com/products?q=tri...US242&um=1

Post imported post

No 12-gauge shotguns? My Mossberg 500 is a good, compact firearm with an 18.5" barrel and pistol grip, though I've been thinking of getting a folding stock for it as I have to get out the giant screwdriver to swap the pistol grip for a full stock ATM. I have the barrel shroud (useful when trap shooting... though I get the strangest looks) and the 6-round shell holder on the left side of the receiver, so I may as well go completely tactical with a folding stock. Personally, I rely on my 500 as an all-purpose weapon.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I picked up one of these... http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.html ...to keep in my BOB.
    Just in case there isn't enough time to grab/get back home to a "real" long gun, it has decent accuracy out to 125+ yards for defense and plenty at 50+ for rabbit etc. The nice part is that, with decent ammo, the 16" barrel pushes the 9mm close to .357 velocities.

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    No 12-gauge shotguns? My Mossberg 500 is a good, compact firearm with an 18.5" barrel and pistol grip, though I've been thinking of getting a folding stock for it as I have to get out the giant screwdriver to swap the pistol grip for a full stock ATM. I have the barrel shroud (useful when trap shooting... though I get the strangest looks) and the 6-round shell holder on the left side of the receiver, so I may as well go completely tactical with a folding stock. Personally, I rely on my 500 as an all-purpose weapon.
    I just bought a Mossberg 500 a couple weeks ago and have been thinking about getting a pistol grip and folding stock for it. If you find one that you like, I'd love to hear about it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    I just bought a Mossberg 500 a couple weeks ago and have been thinking about getting a pistol grip and folding stock for it. If you find one that you like, I'd love to hear about it.
    Midway USA... http://www.midwayusa.com/ ... has a good selection of custom parts and they're a great company to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast