• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where to shoot in New Mexico

RogueWarrior

imported post

Hi there guys and girls where do you go to shoot in or around Albuqueruqe i know of calibers and near double eagle airport thanks in advance

RougueAussie

mserr

imported post

Calibers is a rip off honestly and most of the time pretty crowded. Just about the only decent public range is the city run shooting park (probably the one you're talking about by double eagle). If you do happen to have a truck or 4wd vehicle, you could go out to the mesa and shoot there too. Drive like you're going to the range by double eagle, but after you make your right turn on paseo del vulcan from the off ramp, take your immediate left (instead of straight) which should be a frontage road going west. Drive 5-6 miles until you get to the cattle crossing on your left that goes underneath I-40 and drive under it. Pick one of of the trails and go about a half mile south until you get to the big ditch (you'll know) and enjoy.

XD9guy

imported post

Calibers is a terrific range. Great equipment. Nicely kept. Doesn't cost you $40 in gas to get to.

Plus they offer some of the best firearms training anywhere in the state.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Every County in NM is required to have a public range, find one. Plus most of NM is BLM land, if it aint posted no shooting you can shoot there.

A rule of thumb is, don't discharge within a 1000 ft of a building or residence (I know that's not the law, but I can't remember the actual. I know it's less than that.).

I use to just find a nice arroyo out in the desert and bang away.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

sss01 wrote:
Every County in NM is required to have a public range, find one.
Do you have a reference for that requirement?

I stand corrected......:(

I was lead astray by an old geazer! :banghead:Won't happen again..

This is the only thing I could find---- New Mexico’s Sport Shooting Range Act ( N.M. Stat. Ann. § 17-8-1 et seq. )

Sorry 'bout that....

mserr

imported post

XD9guy wrote:
Calibers is a terrific range. Great equipment. Nicely kept. Doesn't cost you $40 in gas to get to.

Plus they offer some of the best firearms training anywhere in the state.
It takes me about a gallon of gas to get from the NE heights (Juan tabo and lomas) to the ABQ city shooting range park and back, plus $6 to shoot. Much better than the hour wait you go through at calibers on a busy day when all the lanes are full and the $20 range fee. Also for the long range/rifle shooters, 25 yards just doesnt cut it.