• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Gun Holster Protest (short mention in Broadside)

fairfax1

imported post

The GMU campus newspaper, Broadside, has a small mention of the empty holster protest going on on campus this week:

Gun Holster Protest (http://broadsideonline.com/news.html)
During this week, Oct. 22-26, college students throughout America, organized under the banner of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and campus policies that licensed citizens to carry concealed handguns on campus. Mason chapter leader for SCCC Andrew Dysart has appeared on numerous media outlets, including MSNBC and CNN, advocating the rights of certified and and law-abiding citizens who wish to be able to defend themselves as well as others. He has cited the shooting at VirginiaTech last spring as an example for why students feel the need to carry a concealed weapon while on campus.

nova

imported post

I'd wear an empty holster, but I can't because it's at HOME with my GUNS :(

Only able to get it this weekend which is too late. :(

fairfax1

imported post

Brady Center reaction to protest:

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
The irony of his quote is that if you did drop out, then you wouldn't be a bound by university policy anymore since your not affiliated with the school and could carry to your hearts content on campus.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
The GMU campus newspaper, Broadside, has a small mention of the empty holster protest going on on campus this week
I find it not a little ironic that the GMU newspaper is named Broadside !
In naval terms, this exceeds any response that I might make to a BG.
While I do realize that it probably refers to a verbal exchange, I nevertheless do find it amusing.

Don't draw a picture of a warship firing a "broadside" as you might get sent to counciling or kicked out of school.
Yata hey

fairfax1

imported post

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
The Wall Street Journal Editorial page: (http://opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110010787)

[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]Drop out of School
[/font]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] Last April a man who seemed to have been mentally ill went on a rampage at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Cho Seung-hui used firearms to murder 32 people before killing himself--and somehow he managed to do it even though Virginia Tech is a "gun-free school."[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]Or was that because it's a gun-free school? As we noted at the time, a shooting five years earlier at another Virginia institution, the Appalachian School of Law, was stopped when an armed student confronted the gunman. Appalachian, a private school, is not "gun free."[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]From these two incidents it is reasonable to believe that campus gun bans are more effective in preventing defensive than aggressive use of guns--a view that is gaining adherents on campus, Fox News reports:[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] [/font][/font][font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]College students across the country have been strapping empty holsters around their waists this week to protest laws that prohibit concealed weapons on campus, citing concerns over campus shootings.[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] [/font][/font][font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]"People who would otherwise be able to defend themselves are left defenseless when on campus," said Ethan Bratt, a graduate student wearing an empty holster this week on the campus of Seattle Pacific University. [/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] [/font][/font][font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a group of college students, parents and citizens who organized after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University in April, launched the protest....[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] [/font][/font][font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]But others believe college is no place for firearms. [/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"] [/font][/font][font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. [/font][/font]
[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]"Drop out of school." Hamm's advice certainly reflects the degree of maturity and thoughtfulness we've come to expect from the Brady Center.[/font][/font]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

[font="Verdana, Times"][font="Verdana, Times"]"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Mr. Hamm,if you don't want to carry a gun on a college campus that is your right but you have no right to speak for me or others like me. You are not responsible for our safety - we and we alone are each the only ones so responsible.
Yata hey
[/font]
[/font]