• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Re no knock warrants; Deputies: Homeowner Shoots 2 Burglars

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.wyff4.com/news/14400848/detail.html

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Spartanburg County deputies said two home invasion robbers were shot early Tuesday morning by the homeowner they tried to burglarize.

Deputies said that the men forced their way into the home on Harley Court about 4 a.m.

Lamont Dawkins, the homeowner, said that he heard glass break and someone kicking at his back door.

Dawkins told WYFF News 4 that the men were shouting that they were from the "Spartanburg County Police."

Spartanburg County does not have a police force. Dawkins said that he grabbed a pistol gun and hid behind his refrigerator.

When the men came into the home, Dawkins fired what he says was about five rounds. There was a bullet hole in the fence outside the home.

The men ran away.

"I was scared at first, but now I feel good, I just didn't want nothing to happen to me," Dawkins told WYFF News 4’s Mike McCormick.

Investigators said that Lashawn D. Miller, 22, and Haldane D. Oden, 21, were located a short time later in the emergency room at Mary Black Hospital. Both men had gunshot wounds.

The sheriff's office said that Miller and Oden will be charged with first-degree burglary.

Miller was treated for a gunshot wound to his right arm and was arrested as soon as he was released. He is being held at the Spartanburg County Detention Center.

Oden was still hospitalized Tuesday afternoon with a gunshot wound to the chest. Investigators said that he will be taken into custody as soon as he is released.

Dawkins will face no charges because he sued the weapon to rightfully defend himself.

Master Deputy Tony Ivey said, "(A) homeowner -- someone inside a residence -- can use any type force they feel necessary to protect themselves, up to and including deadly force."

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

LEO 229

imported post

"Dawkins will face no charges because he sued the weapon to rightfully defend himself."

Can you actually "sue" a weapon and make it defend your? :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The Spartanburg reporterette has an excuse for illiteracy, you do not.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$
HA!! OK

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

One thing some people are missing is that this guy knew that there is not a "Spartanburg County Police Department," as the bad guys claimed to be. I know the proper names of the law-enforcement agencies in my area and the announcement of a name of some other agency by someone at my door would most certainly make me suspicious.

TrueBrit

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"Dawkins will face no charges because he sued the weapon to rightfully defend himself."

Can you actually "sue" a weapon and make it defend your? :lol:

Yeah, I wouldguess that he meant to say "used", maybe?;)

TrueBrit.

sjhipple

imported post

Consider: Same homeowner with the same character, in the same house, same time, same exact situation...except theburglarshad badges (that they weren't wearing when they broke into his house based on an anonymous tip).

All of a sudden he's a murderer and deserves to go to jail for life...for doing the same thing he did here.

Yeah. That makes sense :quirky. What a great country.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Consider: Same homeowner with the same character, in the same house, same time, same exact situation...except theburglarshad badges (that they weren't wearing when they broke into his house based on an anonymous tip).

All of a sudden he's a murderer and deserves to go to jail for life...for doing the same thing he did here.

Yeah. That makes sense :quirky. What a great country.

I agree... And it's happened.

Personally, I'm all for setting up my own puppet court system that issues no-knock warrants to me based on 'secret anonymous tips' and kicking down their doors. Or show up at their places of work asking leading questions to get them fired, doing the same to neighbors to make them alienated, etc...

"Are you aware of how many times your neighbor has raped 5 year olds at the local day care?" Doesn't matter that the person being asked is unaware that this has happened zero times.... and when you show up asking these questions with a badge and a uniform....

Same thing cops do every day to get these 'anonymous tips.' They start the rumor by asking questions like this. Eventually, one neighbor is gullible and desperate enough about what he/she now beleives, and claims to have witnessed something that never happened to get rid of this 'bad person' who did nothing but get on the bad side of one of Big Brothers' willing henchmen. even when no one claims to have witnessed nonevents, the fact that so many people will vouch for having heard the rumor, etc... No more questions are ever asked and everyone assumes it is justified.

That's exactly the plan explained to me while I was attenting the Academy. And one of the main reasons I quit and gave up interest in a career in law enforcement. It not only happens, it is actively taught. And you love Osama bin Laden if you argue with it....

Tomahawk

imported post

One good solution to no-knocks is to count the number of times these operations are executed against the wrong house, and pick an equal number of police officers' homes out at random for similar treatment. Weight the random selection so that higher ranking police officers and SWAT door breakers are more likely to be chosen. As a wild card throw in a politician's house in now and then.

There's agood reality show in there somewhere.