• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TV reporter arrested for carrying a loaded firearm

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Hopefully when the legislature meets in Jan they will clear this up, it is on the calendar but is still in comittee.
Hopefully though SC will do something about reciprocity first ;)

I would really love to vacation in SC but I am not big on states who disarm their visitors.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Hopefully when the legislature meets in Jan they will clear this up, it is on the calendar but is still in comittee.

I would really love to vacation in SC but I am not big on states who disarm their visitors.

That's how I feel and now I'm HAPPY :celebratecuz I can finally go to Nevada:celebrate.

I WILL UNFORTUNATLEY NEVER BE ABLE TO VISIT COMMIFORNIA:cry:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

dngreer wrote:
HOW ARE YOU PEACEABLY RESISTING ARREST????!!! Please enlighten me...
“Do you understand me,” the police officer said.

“No, I don’t understand you,” Weinsier said.

“Kindly go across-there’s my sergeant right there, kindly go across the street now,” the officer said.

“I’m not,” said Weinsier, and the officer grabbed him, spun him around, ad as the camera captured the scene, he was handcuffed.
Resistance is futile. Kindly repare to be assimilated by the collective. (Officer) Safety is a good tool for tyrants. No one can be against safety.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

dng

State Researcher
imported post

That's what I don't get... When the officer asked him to go across the road, they were just talking. If anything, wouldn't that be failure to comply with instructions from a LEO?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Now, I am not a legal expert, but, from the looks of it, the reporter (technically) was not on school grounds if he was on a public sidewalk (or, was it?) However, the question I would have is was he in a designated "school zone" in which case, there may be an issue of carrying a concealed weapon in a designated school zone (I am definitely not familiar with all of Florida's gun laws and laws in general)?

The reason I am asking is because I am not sure about VA's laws when it comes to designated school zones, if they even have any (for instance, if you are walking by a school, and, youare CCing vs. driving by a school in a vehicle while CCingor OCing). There are some things thatI do know, but, I am sure there is plenty that I don't know (for instance, I know about the CC on school property in a vehicle where you have to stay in the vehicle, and, not exit the vehicle, leavingthe weapon in it - some kind of felony, I believe). Can anyone out there help me understand all of this?!?

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

I get it now. CCing near a school on public property does not apply to FL CHPers. But, what about VA. Please help me understand all of this (sorry, I posted on the wrong thread)!! Thanks in advance!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

sjhipple

imported post

Raw Video

This reporter was apparently under the impression that there was freedom of speech in this country. He is doing a report on school violence on a public sidewalk in front of the school (little did he know that thenext school violence would be done by the coppers themselves). We all know cameras scare cops so they came and "requested" (yes, "requested") that he go across the street. He declined their "request" (which was only a request since they had no legal authority toremove him)and the cops manhandled him, then arrested him.

What's funny is this is the cops on their best behavior because they know they're being filmed. I wonder what would've happened without the camera.

Cop: "we're kindly asking you to move across the street"

Reporter: "You're telling me I can't be on a public sidewalk?"
Cop: "we're kindly asking you to move across the street. This is a public sidewalk."
Reporter: "I'm kindly telling you that I'm not going anywhere"

Cop: "than we're going to remove you"

Reporter: "why are you going to remove me"

Cop: "because we're kindly asking you to go across the street."

Cop: "Shut off the camera" (cop goes over and starts to manhandle the cameraman)

Reporter: "No, he does not have to turn off the camera"

(Cop begins to push the reporter telling him: "stay accross the street")

Cop: "go across the street. I'm asking you nicely bro (HA HA HA...yeah, nicely...unless you say no...then we'll beat you up and get away with it).

Cop: "you're going to be arrested."

Repoter: "what would you be arresting me for"

(Cop grabs the microphone from the reporter (by common law, that's considered an assault and battery) and begins shoving him across the street)

"time to go across the street"

(after the cops walk back across the street, the reporter bravely comments: "I think I'm going to jail today." He walks back across the street and stands on the public sidewalk. Cops continue to demand ("kindly") that he leave the public sidewalk despite the fact that the reporter points out he is breaking no law... the officers continue to manhandle him).

He's arrested

later, they find a .38 special concealed on his person. He has a permit to conceal and per FL law is not allowed to carry it into a school...he never did, but they charged him with that anyway. Probably nothing more than a scare tactic.

What's amazing is that there were scores of other people on the sidewalk...they targeted him because he was a reporter.

Moral: be careful where you carry your gun

sjhipple

imported post

Not related to carrying, but related to the above story about carrying:

One of the reporter's co-workers writes here:

"Now might be a good time to bring up the sheriff’s deputy who snatched my cell phone, in mid-use, right out of my hand. That was his way of ending an interview I was doing with a man on a street that this deputy thought had gone on too long. Because we were transmitting that phone interview live, as a report during our noon newscast, the last thing viewers heard was my voice yelling “Hey, what are you doing!” Click."

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will with cell phones, cameras and the truth

nauss

imported post

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f5c_1193345495

Full video before police where there and after he is in the car.

My views on this one.

Posted mine on silencertalk

Haven't read the other replies here yet.

yeah, police learn a system of law when they get hired on and if it changes is the slightest they are oblivious and die-hard when "challenged" by the educated.

If the officer's SGT is walking across the street and he cuffs him at that EXACT moment before contact.....seems like he wanted to flex his muscle before the SGT got there. Seems that the school police will be getting their nicely-shorn heads sued. And I love the way the cops surround him within inches (which can be assault here in TN at least) and touch him (assault/unwanted bodily touching...again) and take his mic away (private property/4th amendment violation). I'd love to have this guy's case if yet I would have disarmed before going back over. The reporter should have put his .38 in the car before gettng arrested. This just complicates his case and makes police action look half-way justified in some moron's eyes (if it goes before 12 locals in a jury).

No "lawful order" was ever given. This 500ft crap sounds fishy. I've never heard of it and I was a media photographer myself. Now being in Florida....that might be a specific statute in Miami. Who knows. I'd love to see the end result of arresting a TV reporter while on camera on a public sidewalk. I gurantee that the officers will not be punished but rather the taxpayers in a civil settlement.

What a sad world we live in.

nauss

imported post

By the way, a sure sign that our country is going (or gone) to hell in a hand-basket???

That giant, ogor cop has Federal reciprocity to carry a firearm in all 50 states including the District of Columbia, New York City, Chicago, LA, etc

Me? I have to dig through the legistlative websites and spend several hours making myself familiar with EACH states, very specific, weapons laws when I travel with my uncle (to help him drive so he doesn't fly off the road at night.....nice guy aren't I)

I've never been in any trouble nor live a wild lifestyle yet I am a perp when a cop finds out that I am armed and treated accordingly until he/she figures out that they CAN'T arrest me and that I am following EVERY SINGLE IDIOTIC law on the books.

I can't tell you guys how sick of this I am. Well, I'm preaching to the choir again.

PT111

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
PT111 wrote:

HR 3212 is on the calendar for a Senate vote in Jan. I expect it to pass which will recognize permits from any state. It has passed the House and the Senate committee.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Skeptic wrote:
PT111 wrote:

HR 3212 is on the calendar for a Senate vote in Jan. I expect it to pass which will recognize permits from any state. It has passed the House and the Senate committee.
Yes! Then I can visit your beautiful state again.
Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office dropped the criminal case against a WPLG-ABC 10 reporter arrested on charges of trespassing on school grounds, carrying a weapon on school grounds, disrupting a school function and resisting an officer.

Jeffrey Weinsier was arrested outside of Miami Central High School after an altercation with Miami-Dade schools police.

The prosecutor assigned to the case, Maggie Gerson, determined that Weinsier was not actually on school grounds but was standing on a public sidewalk with several members of the public. Since he was not on school grounds, ''it cannot be said he was trespassing,'' Gerson wrote in a memo closing the case.

Because he wasn't trespassing, the charge of carrying a gun would be impossible to prosecute, Gerson wrote. Weinsier has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Regarding the charge of resisting arrest by failing to obey an officer's commands, Gerson wrote the officer's commands were not legal, noting that the other people on the sidewalk were not told to cross the street, as Weinsier was.

''The law and justice require equal application and cannot be individually selective,'' Gerson wrote.

She said the charge of disrupting a school function did not apply because Weinsier was not being disruptive and the students had already been dismissed from school when he was arrested.

Gerson said she relied on a video of the incident taken by a Channel 10 cameraman that clearly showed Weinsier never left the sidewalk.

Weinsier's attorney, Mark Eiglarsh, said he and the television reporter were ``thrilled the charges were dropped.''

''However, the arrest should never have happened,'' Eiglarsh said in an e-mail to The Miami Herald. ``This was an illegal arrest because Jeff committed no violation of any state or federal law.''

Legba

imported post

I would wager heavily that they came to a "gentlemen's agreement" by which they would drop the charges if he agrees not to prefer charges of his own, file civil suits, do an expose of the police, etc. It's called extortion when civilians do that, but it happens every day in court.

-ljp

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office dropped the criminal case against a WPLG-ABC 10 reporter arrested on charges of trespassing on school grounds, carrying a weapon on school grounds, disrupting a school function and resisting an officer.

Jeffrey Weinsier was arrested outside of Miami Central High School after an altercation with Miami-Dade schools police.

The prosecutor assigned to the case, Maggie Gerson, determined that Weinsier was not actually on school grounds but was standing on a public sidewalk with several members of the public. Since he was not on school grounds, ''it cannot be said he was trespassing,'' Gerson wrote in a memo closing the case.

Because he wasn't trespassing, the charge of carrying a gun would be impossible to prosecute, Gerson wrote. Weinsier has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Regarding the charge of resisting arrest by failing to obey an officer's commands, Gerson wrote the officer's commands were not legal, noting that the other people on the sidewalk were not told to cross the street, as Weinsier was.

''The law and justice require equal application and cannot be individually selective,'' Gerson wrote.

She said the charge of disrupting a school function did not apply because Weinsier was not being disruptive and the students had already been dismissed from school when he was arrested.

Gerson said she relied on a video of the incident taken by a Channel 10 cameraman that clearly showed Weinsier never left the sidewalk.

Weinsier's attorney, Mark Eiglarsh, said he and the television reporter were ``thrilled the charges were dropped.''

''However, the arrest should never have happened,'' Eiglarsh said in an e-mail to The Miami Herald. ``This was an illegal arrest because Jeff committed no violation of any state or federal law.''

Cite?

:p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The scary part of this is that had it been any other citizen, the officers could have bullied him/her to go across the street or arrested him and probably had the charges stick in a "your word against the officer's". The prosecutor states that she used the video to exonerate the reporter.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The scary part of this is that had it been any other citizen, the officers could have bullied him/her to go across the street or arrested him and probably had the charges stick in a "your word against the officer's". The prosecutor states that she used the video to exonerate the reporter.
Yup. Guilty until proven innocent.