• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS to decide on Cert by November 9th

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There are two cases that they will decide to grant or deny Cert.

From SCOTUSblog...

Justices to consider gun case Nov. 9Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 12:04 pm | Lyle Denniston | Comments (0) | Print This Post

Email thisShare on FacebookDigg This!

The Supreme Court will consider two petitions growing out of the Second Amendment dispute over a District of Columbia ban on private possession of handguns at its Conference on Nov. 9, according to the Court’s electronic docket on Wednesday.

The two cases are the city’s appeal — District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290) — challenging a D.C. Circuit Court ruling last March striking down the handgun ban under the Second Amendment, and a cross-petition by five city residents — Parker v. District of Columbia (07-335) — seeking to join in the case to add their own legal complaints about the city gun control law.

Because the two sides have framed the Second Amendment question in different ways in their papers in 07-290, it is conceivable that, should the Court grant review, it might choose to rephrase the issue itself.

The earliest that an order on the fate of the two cases would emerge is probably Monday, Nov. 12. The case, if granted, would probably be heard in February or March.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The part about

Because the two sides have framed the Second Amendment question in different ways in their papers in 07-290, it is conceivable that, should the Court grant review, it might choose to rephrase the issue itself.

This is worrisome. That may be the point that they will use to "thread the eye of the needle" and come up with a ruling that is useless or worse.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I really hope the gun ban in Washington DC gets struck down. It would be a huge victory for gun loving Americans. I think George Washington would be ashamed to have that city named after him with the laws they have passed and the crooks that run around there.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

That is an excellent way of phrasing it.

That George Washington would be ashamed of the city named after him. And from what I know of the man, he truely would be ashamed of the DC city laws.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

If the Supremes take the case, it will be the biggest since Brown v. Board.

The guy that made it happen, Robert Levy, may become the greatest hero in the history of the U.S. gun rights advocacy.

If the Supreme Court decides the case, it will be a field day for the NRA-bashers. If the Court rules for an "individual right," the NRA didn't initiate the litigation (and should have much sooner).

If the Court rules for a "collective right," then the NRA is at fault simply because it's bad for gun rights advocates.

I really, really, really hope SCOTUS takes the case. It's about time.

Now if only Justice Stevens could, in thenext couple of months,drop....um, never mind.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I for one hope that we don't have any SCOTUS judges retire before the next presidental election.

Here's to hoping that Ron Paul is in the White House come January 2009.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I hope the same, but if I were betting, my money would not be on RP. I don't think enough of America has woke up yet to get him in the White House. I pray I am wrong, but I think the majority of America is still asleep in their perfect little fantasy worlds.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I think that if Ron Paul wins the Republican primary, he will have better than 50/50 odds of making it to the WH. If he looks like he is going to win the primary, it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the SC justices retire, while Bush is president.

It would be funny if some of the so called "liberal" justices retired under Bush to keep the replacement from being picked by Ron Paul.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
I think that if Ron Paul wins the Republican primary, he will have better than 50/50 odds of making it to the WH.
The only problem is that he has a < 1% chance of winning the Replican primary...

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Los Vegas recently gave him 1:6 odds... It's not as hopeless a long shot as you would think.

I've done my best to help those odds. I've donated $100 and put Ron Paul bumper stickers on all my cars.

As my finances allow, I will continue to donate to his campaign.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
Los Vegas recently gave him 1:6 odds... It's not as hopeless a long shot as you would think.

I've done my best to help those odds. I've donated $100 and put Ron Paul bumper stickers on all my cars.

As my finances allow, I will continue to donate to his campaign.

Tell you what, I'll help you out helping Ron Paul out.

I'll give you 1:10 odds on the bet. Your bet says RP wins the Rebublican nomination, my side is he does not win the Republican nomination.

Your $100 to my $1000. Today.

Just think how your winnings could go to the RP general election campaign....
:p

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Nah, not interestedin betting.

But, if I was, that bet would be counter-productive.

The hardest part for Ron Paul iswinning the primary. Should he win the primary, the Republican party will have no choice but to put all of their support behind him.

So, he needs the funds now.Fund raising for the general election will be much easier. There are a lot of people who don't want to see Hillary in the WH. Right now those people are split between a lot of candidates. Should Ron win the primary,I believe that most of them will fall in behind him.