Thread: Gun lights and holsters.

Post imported post

HI, i have a interesting question. Does anyone here, have a weapon light permantly affixed to there carry gun, and carry it in one of the few holsters designed for weapons with stuff on the accsessory rail?

Since i do some light armed security work, mostly at night, such a combo sounds great for me, but i have some reservations. Mostly of the what the hell will the DA think.

Secondly, is such a combo acceptable for civilian ccw/oc useage.

Since most weapon lights/lasers have the option to use a grip mounted pressure switch, i feel this would be a great asset to a ccw/oc civilian. If you have to draw your gun in a dark place due to a threat, you now have the utility of the light, plus your hand that would normaly hold the light now is supporting your gun, for a natural 2handed hold, instead of shooting one handed and with a light in the weak hand.

Any input is welcomed. and i hope a lively discussion breaks out.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I think for your situation you would be fine. Your occupation makes for a very obvious utility purpose for a light mounted pistol.

As for using the light in a defensive situation, I think that is fine so long as you are not using the light as a flashlight. Never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot... If I had one I would still carry a separate flashlight.

Post imported post

So while it would be acceptable for me while im on duty, would it be a no no while i was off duty? sure i should still have a small flash light on me, for illumination purposes, but in the dark, if i think my life is in danger, i dont want to have 2 seperate draw strokes goin on at the same time. I figure if i had to draw in a dim area, a weapon light with a pressure switch would be great. Since i had to draw, that meants what ever the light is pointing at is more then likely my intended target.

Tho, i can see the da, t hinking its more of a wanna be cop thing.

State Researcher

Post imported post

http://www.safariland.com/rls/index.aspx

I'm not familiar with the product myself, but it looks pretty kool to me! It's a weapon light that is designed to be carried on your belt, in your pocket, or in a pouch. You can use the light separately, or you can slide it onto the rail of your handgun (or any other picatinny rail system). Sounds like a solid compromise between the two. Best part is you can use the holster you have now and aren't restricted to using one designed for a light.

Post imported post

I have a Glock 19 with a Surefire X200-A and I use a Safariland ALS 6038 Retention II Duty Holster.

The light stays on the gun at all times and I carry a Surefire E2D Executive Defender in my pocket for when I need to light an area, but can't use my gun.