• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best for Ankle Carry?

BrokenR1

imported post

I currently own and carry a Kimber EclipseTarget II :monkeyPurty isn't it? :cool:

attachment.php

Anyways I would like to buy another pistol. I want something smaller that I can ankle carry either as a backup or instead of the 1911. I almostbought the XD45, not for ankle but just because I like it as well as the .45 round and capacity. But I've decided that I would be better off for now buying something that gives me more options of carrying.

I've read a bit on the P3AT and Bersa Thunder. I like the dual action and size of the pistol at least in pictures since I haven't had hands on yet. I don't know much about the .380 round or other guns in general but would like something dual action in a semi-auto and to stay away from revolvers. I'm open to suggestions, please tell me what you think would be good to look at.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight 38 Spl Revolver

A revolver to back up a semi is always a good idea. This one is Very light and .38 while not the best round, is good enough for a backup. With a price tag of $350 it is priced right too.

Marco

imported post

dngreer wrote:
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

Take a look at this. With the self defense 22 ammo, it would be a nice compact option. I can't remember the name of the ammo; something shock.

CCI's Stinger and Quik-Shok .22LR ammo launch their rapidly expanding 32-grain bullets at a blistering 1,640 fps. Stingers are loaded with traditional hollow-point bullets, while the Quik-Shoks feature pre-fragmented bullets that separates into three equal pieces upon impact to create three devastating wound channels.

Engery ft-lbs = 191.06

psmartin

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight 38 Spl Revolver

A revolver to back up a semi is always a good idea. This one is Very light and .38 while not the best round, is good enough for a backup. With a price tag of $350 it is priced right too.

No need to knock a 38 revolver.. It's an EXCELLENT ankle carry choice because of the profile..

The basis "Uncle Mike's" ankle holster is cheap and fits well.. I've had one of those holsters for almost 2 years(daily use) and it's got several more years of life in it.

Ankle carry is not the best option for fast action or a quick strike, but if you need a backup plan and don't want ANYONE to suspect you have something, ankle carry is a valid option.

After all. Do you ever remember what color/type shoes someone is wearing?

I will admit that a DOA revolver is less accurate than most DOA or DA/SA pistols of "like size& weight", but for defense purposes.. If you're far enough away to need the extra accuracy, you should be running instead of shooting.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I carry the 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove as my "New York reload" or as my primary when I can't carry bigger. Very comfortable, and after a bit you don't notice it much - some evenings I'm (almost) suprised to find it there. It only weighs a pound, no problem with limping due to more weight on one leg or anything.

Lthrnck

imported post

Wife just said if you wanted to carry a Model 50, you should carry one on each leg, so that both legs will bulk up the same... roflmao.... :what:

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I use a Kahr PM9 to back up either a Kimber Custom Tactical 5" or a Kahr K9. I have tried to make the "revolver-thing" work for me (twice), and I just couldn't, so I settled on an auto with about the same "footprint" size and a comparable caliber. 7 rounds of 147gr Ranger works for me, especially since mine has nightsights, which are hard to get/find on a J-frame sized revolver (or any revolver for that matter).

PS: Mirage, I like you're avatar---are you "one of 'em" like me?

expvideo

imported post

I likemy fiancee'sbersa thunder 380. First of all, 380 is a great defensive caliber for a backup. It doesn't over-penetrate like 9mm can, but at the same time it does pack a punch. The KelTec is probably a good choice for size, but I would never trust my life to something that small and plastic-y being reliable, not to mention the horrible trigger. The trigger on the Bersa is very nice. Also, the bersa is accurate and reliable. She has never had a problem with it, and it shoots very well for her at the range. It's a lot like a Walther only much cheaper at about $250, and has some better features. First of all, it has the same kind of manual safety, plus a key safety so that you can actually lock the gun for storage and a magazine safety, so that the gun can't fire without a magazine. Plus it has a slide release, unlike the Walther, and it's slide doesn't bite like the Walther. The Walther was designed to fire a 32acp round, and has only had so many performance problems because it was not originally designed to fire a 380 round. The Bersa, on the other hand, was designed to fire the 380 round, and therefor doesn't have as many inherent problems. I highly recommend it, especially if you go out and buy the rubber grip with finger grooves for it.