Thread: 110-lb mayor puts burglar in headlock

Post imported post

110-lb mayor puts burglar in headlock 1 hour, 25 minutes ago[/i]
    OGDEN, Utah - Don't mess with the mayor. Mayor Matthew Godfrey tackled a man who tried to steal a bicycle from his shed — then discovered the would-be thief was a neighbor he knew well.

"He's from a family that we know and love and respect. They're good friends of ours, and they just have a wayward child," Godfrey said. "I taught this young man in church."
    Godfrey and his wife were awakened at 2:56 a.m. Wednesday when somebody tried to break into their house through a side and then a rear door. Godfrey jumped out of bed, checked on his children, then went outside.
    "He was heading across the front lawn riding a bike of ours," Godfrey said. "I ran him down and tackled him, wrestled him and put him in a headlock."
    And Godfrey is "half the burglar's size," marveled Ogden Police Chief Jon Greiner in a slight exaggeration.
    Godfrey, a long-distance runner, stands 5-foot-4 and weighs 110 pounds "dripping wet," the chief said.
    Richard Poorman, 20, weighs 170 pounds on a 5-foot-10 frame.
    "This comes down to what he's always preached to the community: 'Get involved, you can make a citizen's arrest,'" Greiner said. "I don't encourage people to do that, I really don't, but helping us is always a good thing."
    Poorman was arrested for investigation of burglary, robbery, public intoxication, illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor and possession of marijuana — "we'll stop there," Ogden police Lt. Scott Sangberg said.
    Greiner said Poorman was awaiting trial on charges involving two previous garage burglaries and should have been in jail, but a judge released him without bail pending the trial.
    After Godfrey's wife called 911, Ogden police arrived to see the mayor holding down the man.
    "I guess I feel like it's part of my job getting the bad guys off the street," chuckled Godfrey, whose only injury was a cut behind his right ear.
    The mayor has made reducing crime in Ogden an issue in his re-election campaign and said the incident was evidence of the value of neighborhood watches.
    "People just being vigilant, making a stand, is part of the reason why we've had such huge reductions in crime," he said.
    Asked if it was wise to take on an intruder in an early morning break-in, Godfrey said he would encourage others to let the police handle it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Awesome, sounds like a good guy. Uuuhh what does this have to do with guns? (just curious )

Post imported post

I like the Idea that EVEN a Mayor does NOT feel afraid and feels free to step up to the Plate when needed.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

So does this mayor believe in guns? I would've had the guy at gun point. He's all for neighborbood watch but what about open carrying? I also agree with utoc 45-44.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Maybe the "boy mayor" owns a firearm, but decided not to grab it. That would be kinda cool, a packing mayor, Ogden could use it!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

His quote has to do with opencarry in the sense that it's people making a stand which will reduce crime..

Of course he didn't use a gun, but he didn't need it. We don't know if he did have one or not.

"People just being vigilant, making a stand, is part of the reason why we've had such huge reductions in crime," he said.