• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And it's gun-owners who are nuts?????

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had another one of those 10-mile, 95-minute commutes tonight. I went down Duke St and picked up US1 in Old Town Alexandria.

I was nearly at the intersection of Duke and 1, in the left lane, when some jamoke in a white sedan apparently took exception to my bumper sticker (It is your duty as an American to own a gun and know how to use it). Mind you, I've had this bumper sticker on my vehicle for 6 years.

The guy pulled to my right, leaned out his window, and started screaming at me, calling me "murderer", "Nazi", "******* nuts", and so on. He went on for a good two to three minutes, perhaps more, all the while blocking his lane, as traffic in front of him started moving.

We weren't 50' from an Alexandria police officer who was standing there at the intersection (ostensibly to prevent gridlock, though they can't/won't write a ticket for a person who blocks the lane). I was literally at the point I reached into my purse and flipped the safety off my weapon, just in case. I was afraid he'd leave his vehicle. He had his head and both arms out the window; any further and he'd have been in danger of falling out.

Cop didn't move. I found it necessary to prepare my weapon before my cell phone; obviously this officer was not going to be of help if I were assaulted.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

People with a precarious mental balance can easily be set off by things that would not particularly bother a normal person. Liberals in particular are tremendously threatened by anyone questioning their twisted world view. Read the comments posted after any pro gun story in the news, and you will find that the "tolerant, peace-loving" lefties are the ones who spout the most vicious invective and hurl the most personal insults. Like unruly children or dogs who have slipped their leashes, they are best ignored and avoided.

Don't let the bastards grind you down, Tess.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
You shoulda blown him a kiss!
Did that <grin>

And I know it was the bumper sticker - though I couldn't understand all his rant, there was something about "duty as an American" right before "murderer".

The guy was just nucking futs. But I have to admit all my senses were on red alert!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
People with a precarious mental balance can easily be set off by things that would not particularly bother a normal person. Liberals in particular are tremendously threatened by anyone questioning their twisted world view. Read the comments posted after any pro gun story in the news, and you will find that the "tolerant, peace-loving" lefties are the ones who spout the most vicious invective and hurl the most personal insults. Like unruly children or dogs who have slipped their leashes, they are best ignored and avoided.

Don't let the bastards grind you down, Tess.
Thanks. Fortunately, once the danger had passed, it became just a story ... I don't get overly upset (and you should see when I take the happy pills <grin>).

I prefer to think of these nutcases as just that - nutcases. It bothers me to have them labeled as liberal or, what's the new term that means "we know people don't like liberal policies so we'll rename them" - oh, yeah, "progressive". Lumps too many people together, which, though convenient, really restricts dialog. Not that many of these nutcases could dialog - seems their reasoning abilities stop with the cells that spew invectives.

sjhipple

imported post

Tess wrote:
The guy pulled to my right, leaned out his window, and started screaming at me, calling me "murderer", "Nazi", "******* nuts", and so on. He went on for a good two to three minutes, perhaps more, all the while blocking his lane, as traffic in front of him started moving.

Nazi?The Nazi policy on guns was HIS policy, not ours.

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State."
-- Heinrich Himmler, head of the Nazi SS

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
I had another one of those 10-mile, 95-minute commutes tonight. I went down Duke St and picked up US1 in Old Town Alexandria.

I was nearly at the intersection of Duke and 1, in the left lane, when some jamoke in a white sedan apparently took exception to my bumper sticker (It is your duty as an American to own a gun and know how to use it). Mind you, I've had this bumper sticker on my vehicle for 6 years.

We weren't 50' from an Alexandria police officer who was standing there at the intersection (ostensibly to prevent gridlock, though they can't/won't write a ticket for a person who blocks the lane). I was literally at the point I reached into my purse and flipped the safety off my weapon, just in case. I was afraid he'd leave his vehicle. He had his head and both arms out the window; any further and he'd have been in danger of falling out.

Cop didn't move. I found it necessary to prepare my weapon before my cell phone; obviously this officer was not going to be of help if I were assaulted.

Tess, this is America, and, you can have whatever bumper sticker on your vehicle that you like. The fact that they may offend people is irrelevant. That is why I OC in my vehicle every chance I get (my bumper sticker is my Beretta PX 4 Storm .40 Cal 17+1 that I keep on the dash). I travel that route every Wednesday. You did the right thing. Be proud that you are an American no matter what some of them may think!!

2nd Amendment......Use it......Or, lose it!!:X

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Tess wrote:
I was literally at the point I reached into my purse and flipped the safety off my weapon, just in case. I was afraid he'd leave his vehicle. He had his head and both arms out the window; any further and he'd have been in danger of falling out.
What, are you some kind a vigilante? You just have a Rambo complex, don't you? ;) (Sarcasm)
I guess this should be corrected to: "When seconds count, the police could be seconds away, and still not do anything."

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Your traffic "friend" was not an American. He might think he is (assuming he actually is), but in my book, anyone who believes outside of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights is not in any way, shape, or form an American.

I know, some might try to argue First Amendment rights and such. But people like that who cast aside the Bill of Rights, also cast aside their claim to those same rights.

It is not a "Buffet of Rights", it is a "Bill of Rights". You must accept all of them whether you like it or not. They are mutually inclusive and come as a package.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess,

Well handled.

The only things I can think to add would be:

• Turning on the voice-recorder
  • Getting a license plate number
  • Calling the police.
I've already made up my mind not to wait for the other party to make a false call to the police.There would be little to stop someone that nutty from false-reporting that you brandished your weapon.

If Iencounter that kind of abuse, I'm making the call.The first caller is often viewed as the victim.

If I have time, I'll be swinging by the magistrate to see if I can press charges.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Y'know, I bought spousal unit a voice recorder; I don't have one.

I thought about getting a license plate number, but I couldn't see his. Fortunately, I did have a police officer within 40' or so; I would CERTAINLY have gotten her name if I needed it.

I hadn't thought that perhaps he could have reported a brandishing. I knew I didn't brandish. In this particular case, I don't think the guy was that smart, but it is something I should keep in mind.