• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting AL

utahxd9

imported post

So I am headed to Alabama in the next couple weeks to visit family & was wondering if anyone had visited there & carried (ccw or oc). Any unusual firearms laws I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Tacomatose

imported post

did you try posted in the AL section of the forum? That is one state that I have not been to, so I am really not sure what you will run in to. I find that when traveling, I usually spend my time in stores, restaraunts, and the hotels, and I have yet to find a state that honored our permits that wouldn't allow carry in any of these places. B

utahxd9

imported post

Yeah I did. Hopefully someone from the area can give me some info if there is any oddball stuff I also plan on calling the ag's office there & asking about their concealed laws. I also just realized I accidently created 2 accounts on here. lol

Thanks

Jay

utahxd9

imported post

Another question I have is I will be flying & have never checked a firearm while flying anyplace. I am aware that is has to be in a hard case with a lock, & Delta has an 11lb ammo restriction, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Any tips from those of you that have checked firearms on planes before.

Thanks again

Jay

xmirage2kx

imported post

Make sure the box is TSA (?) approved. Call the airline you will be flying on and find out any additional details (sounds like you have done this) and print a copy to take with you. Allow an extra 30minutes just in case you run into issues.

Tacomatose

imported post

You really shouldn't run into any problems when checking your firearm at the airport. The agent usually looks stunned when I tell them that I am checking a firearm, and it takes them a minute to regain composure, but I actually like that part as it make the trip more interesting (I get really tired of flying and have to find ways to keep it exciting). Just make sure you ammo is in a factory box, the firearm is unloaded (I usually make sure the mags are empty and removed) and do not allow them to put any markings of the case that marks it as a firearm. Some of them think that is a requirement, but it actually not and they are not supposed to label it. Other than that, just enjoy the ride and hope your gun shows up at the other end;) B

utahxd9

imported post

Tacomatose wrote:
Other than that, just enjoy the ride and hope your gun shows up at the other end;) B
That is the thing that makes me nervous. I mean I would be ok with losing some clothes, but losing my gun would realy piss me off.

Tacomatose

imported post

The joys of travel...They have lost my luggage 4 times, they found it 3 times and I never saw the 4th again. Its all part of the game. B

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

DO NOT OC HERE... I am a lifelong Alabama resident and can assure you that if you OC in a public area, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED whether you have a pistol license or not. If you have a valid CDL which is reciprocal with AL, carry concealed and keep it covered. If not, don't carry. LEOs don't like the idea of armed citizens around here.

utahxd9

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
DO NOT OC HERE... I am a lifelong Alabama resident and can assure you that if you OC in a public area, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED whether you have a pistol license or not. If you have a valid CDL which is reciprocal with AL, carry concealed and keep it covered. If not, don't carry. LEOs don't like the idea of armed citizens around here.
This is the 2nd post from a member from AL (I also posted this question in the AL forum) telling me not to OC. Point well taken I will conceal.

Thanks for all your advice.

Jay