Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDL President to speak at Virginia Tech Monday night

Centurion

Post imported post

A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The talk will be in room 1670 of Litton-Reaves Hall on the west side of the Virginia Tech campus.

Ample parking is available directly behind the building.

This is my first time to visit Virginia Tech and I am really looking forward to it.

The public is invited. If you would like to attend or know any students, faculty, or staff from VT or other school who are attending, let me know by responding to president@vcdl.org (unless you have responded previously).

Post imported post

Slightly off topic but it seems students are carrying empty holsters to protest campus gun control.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304806,00.html

Post imported post

Are non-students, non-faculty and non-VT employees allowed to carry (open and/or concealed?)

Just wondering. Wish I could be there, OPEN CARRYING!

A picture tells a thousand words, and a guy in well-pressed khakis, shirt, tie and a Fobus SP-11 holster with a SA XD 9mm pistol I think would make a good illustration of how safety is enhanced by good guys carrying their personal protective equipment.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The

Should be a great talk.

Will there be a transcript or audio recording available afterward?

Post imported post

XD Owner wrote:
    Are non-students, non-faculty and non-VT employees allowed to carry (open and/or concealed?)

Just wondering. Wish I could be there, OPEN CARRYING!

A picture tells a thousand words, and a guy in well-pressed khakis, shirt, tie and a Fobus SP-11 holster with a SA XD 9mm pistol I think would make a good illustration of how safety is enhanced by good guys carrying their personal protective equipment.
    If we could OC,I woulddrive the 5 hours to go.

Centurion

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The
    Should be a great talk.

I have a Powerpoint presentation. I was thinking of recording the audio and then putting the two together into an automated powerpoint package in case other college groups wanted to have members hear the talk. Perhaps it could also be made available on the VCDL site.

BTW, I don't plan on mincing words in that talk.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    Should be a great talk.

I have a Powerpoint presentation. I was thinking of recording the audio and then putting the two together into an automated powerpoint package in case other college groups wanted to have members hear the talk. Perhaps it could also be made available on the VCDL site.

BTW, I don't plan on mincing words in that talk.
    The PP/audio file would behighly useful to spread the word. Even the PP presentationor audio alone would be very interesting to those of us who do not live or work in Virginia and cannot possibly attend the talk.

I hope thenews media are notified of the talk by PR. No reason why itcan't get some coverage.

I'm sure it will be good. Break aleg.

Post imported post

I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops

Post imported post

Opsgear wrote:
    I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops
    I think otherwise, "Sgt Ops".

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops
    I truly don't understand your viewpoint. Why should only students be protected? Why check in with anyone?

Once again, laws against "unknown visitors" won't stop crime.

I suggest any law-abiding citizen be permitted to carry, concealed or openly, according to his/her preference.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

I could be wrong of course, but I think Opsgear is a student of the Jonathan Swift School of Writing. To remind, Swift suggested a solution to the Irish economic problem:Irishchildren should be fattened up and sold for food.

Opsgear, you're no Jonathan Swift.

This will be the last I write about "Sgt. Ops." He deserves no more attention than a mushroom rotting in the deep Canadian woods.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Meanwhile back to the thread. I'm looking forward to the powerpoint presentation with much anticipation.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The talk will be in room 1670 of Litton-Reaves Hall on the west side of the Virginia Tech campus.

This is my first time to visit Virginia Tech and I am really looking forward to it.

The public is invited. If you would like to attend or know any students, faculty, or staff from VT or other school who are attending, let me know by responding to president@vcdl.org (unless you have responded previously).
    Dear Sir:

I believe you have more understanding than I in regards to whether or not I can OC or CC at this meeting. Can I or not? I will be there no matter, with a full or empty holster.

John

Post imported post

SGT Ops: What exactly isyour point?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    SGT Ops: What exactly isyour point?
    I think that he is suggesting (for the sake of conversation I hope) that full time students be allowed to carry but not guests, visitors, vendors, alumni, dates, wives, husbands, boy friends, girl friends, parents et al.

Wouldn't that be a strange new breed of elitists? We, the students, can defend ourselves but you (everybody else) can't.

In fairness, he would seem to favor the student's right to self defense but misses his own point that we all have that right.

Sgt. Ops, you said "Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something." Leave it at that.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Centurion

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:

Dear Sir:

I believe you have more understanding than I in regards to whether or not I can OC or CC at this meeting. Can I or not? I will be there no matter, with a full or empty holster.

John
    There is no state law against carry there. Their rule follows, the authority of which has been subject to debate. Note that no punishment is proscribed for guests carrying. They might try to treat it as trespass, but again, whether that would hold any sway is even more debatable. However, I am not a lawyer and can't give you any legal advice.

BTW, VCDL has a policy of not encouraging nor discouraging carry, openly or concealed, by its members, but leaves any such decision up to the member to make for himself or herself as a free adult.

2.2 Prohibition of Weapons The university employees, students, and volunteers, or any visitor or other third party attending a sporting, entertainment, or educational event, or visiting an academic or administrative office building or residence hall, are further prohibited from carrying, maintaining, or storing a firearm or weapon on any university facility, even if the owner has a valid permit, when it is not required by the individual's job, or in accordance with the relevant University Student Life Policies.

Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon on university property will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student judicial referral and/or arrest, or an employee disciplinary action and/or arrest.

Post imported post

Keep up the good work. Wish I could be there but its too far from my other commitments.

Virginia Tech adminisrtators just don't get it.........yet!

There are other avenues that I know are being explored.

Yata hey

Post imported post

I'll be there.

Post imported post

The VT campus paper the Collegiate Times posted an article on Phil's talk (headline article of their website). It's actually a fair article, presenting the talking points without telling you what to think about them. I'm sure a hateful editorial will appear tomorrow.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...cealed_weapons

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks for the link vt357. A good article, but alas, the editorial will be something else.

Post imported post

There are some distortions in that article, and the comments are quite hilarious. It isn't written as a anti, which is good I guess.

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    The VT campus paper the Collegiate Times posted an article on Phil's talk (headline article of their website). It's actually a fair article, presenting the talking points without telling you what to think about them. I'm sure a hateful editorial will appear tomorrow.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...cealed_weapons
    I was at the meeting (30 min drive) and really enjoyed meeting some of the "crazy" people. Phillip of course, Bruce, Ken the guy who organized the empty holster protest at Tech, and the grad student who was kicked out of Tech for conceal carrying, who told me he wasn't actually kicked out but came to an "agreement". Ie, don't bust our balls and we won't use our huge governmental powers to bust yours....

It was a good night and the comments to the VT Collegiate article has been great. I just posted mine at 12:47 am 10/31. I suggest that everyone read the CT article and post a comment. Comments are running strongly in favor of CC. Those opposed have posted rather "unbelieveable" points. One poster said the article was biased but I thought it was rather fair, although there were inaccuracies in it.

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops
    I truly don't understand your viewpoint. Why should only students be protected? Why check in with anyone?

I suggest any law-abiding citizen be permitted to carry, concealed or openly, according to his/her preference.
    well, I respect your opinion, but if we want to have a safer learning environment and minimize the risk of blitz attacts by outsiders we have to follow some sort of safer plan. If someone checks in we would have names, time so it will be easier to catch them if something went wrong. Visitors often times gather info, scout the area, place bombs, etc because they are not signed in. We don't want to have another 9-11. I truly understand your point of view but if we want it to work lawmakers got to focus on that issue as well. No harms done!

Sgt Ops

Post imported post

Opsgear wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops

well, I respect your opinion, but if we want to have a safer learning environment and minimize the risk of blitz attacts by outsiders we have to follow some sort of safer plan. If someone checks in we would have names, time so it will be easier to catch them if something went wrong. Visitors often times gather info, scout the area, place bombs, etc because they are not signed in. We don't want to have another 9-11. I truly understand your point of view but if we want it to work lawmakers got to focus on that issue as well. No harms done!

Sgt Ops

Because we ALLLLLLLL know that anyone thinking about making a "blitz attack" will stop as soon as he finds out he's not supposed to have his gun in there. Are you that dumb?? How about we just pass a law outlawing the shooting of students?...oh wait, we already have one. Phew, good, now no one will do that.:quirky

If the bad guy has his gun concealed, you won't find it until he starts using it...unless you randomly search students (which I'm sure cops like you would love)

As far as having people sign in, ummm...we already do that. Besides the problem wasn't that we couldn't figure out who the shooter was at VT.

How about this?? How about every human being be allowed to exercise his god-given right to protect himself no matter where he is?? The SAFER PLAN would be to allow students and teachers to protect themselves.

Centurion

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    Opsgear wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops

Sgt Ops

Because we ALLLLLLLL know that anyone thinking about making a "blitz attack" will stop as soon as he finds out he's not supposed to have his gun in there. Are you that dumb?? How about we just pass a law outlawing the shooting of students?...oh wait, we already have one. Phew, good, now no one will do that.:quirky

If the bad guy has his gun concealed, you won't find it until he starts using it...unless you randomly search students (which I'm sure cops like you would love)

As far as having people sign in, ummm...we already do that. Besides the problem wasn't that we couldn't figure out who the shooter was at VT.

How about this?? How about every human being be allowed to exercise his god-given right to protect himself no matter where he is?? The SAFER PLAN would be to allow students and teachers to protect themselves.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast