• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL President to speak at Virginia Tech Monday night

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The talk will be in room 1670 of Litton-Reaves Hall on the west side of the Virginia Tech campus.

Ample parking is available directly behind the building.

This is my first time to visit Virginia Tech and I am really looking forward to it.

The public is invited. If you would like to attend or know any students, faculty, or staff from VT or other school who are attending, let me know by responding to president@vcdl.org (unless you have responded previously).

XD Owner

imported post

Are non-students, non-faculty and non-VT employees allowed to carry (open and/or concealed?)

Just wondering. Wish I could be there, OPEN CARRYING!

A picture tells a thousand words, and a guy in well-pressed khakis, shirt, tie and a Fobus SP-11 holster with a SA XD 9mm pistol I think would make a good illustration of how safety is enhanced by good guys carrying their personal protective equipment.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The

Should be a great talk.

Will there be a transcript or audio recording available afterward?

S&W1911

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Are non-students, non-faculty and non-VT employees allowed to carry (open and/or concealed?)

Just wondering. Wish I could be there, OPEN CARRYING!

A picture tells a thousand words, and a guy in well-pressed khakis, shirt, tie and a Fobus SP-11 holster with a SA XD 9mm pistol I think would make a good illustration of how safety is enhanced by good guys carrying their personal protective equipment.
If we could OC,I woulddrive the 5 hours to go.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

HankT wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The

Should be a great talk.

I have a Powerpoint presentation. I was thinking of recording the audio and then putting the two together into an automated powerpoint package in case other college groups wanted to have members hear the talk. Perhaps it could also be made available on the VCDL site.

BTW, I don't plan on mincing words in that talk.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
HankT wrote:
VCDL President wrote:

Should be a great talk.

I have a Powerpoint presentation. I was thinking of recording the audio and then putting the two together into an automated powerpoint package in case other college groups wanted to have members hear the talk. Perhaps it could also be made available on the VCDL site.

BTW, I don't plan on mincing words in that talk.

The PP/audio file would behighly useful to spread the word. Even the PP presentationor audio alone would be very interesting to those of us who do not live or work in Virginia and cannot possibly attend the talk.

I hope thenews media are notified of the talk by PR. No reason why itcan't get some coverage.

I'm sure it will be good. Break aleg.

XCon

imported post

I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops

Tomahawk

imported post

Opsgear wrote:
I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops
I think otherwise, "Sgt Ops".

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops

I truly don't understand your viewpoint. Why should only students be protected? Why check in with anyone?

Once again, laws against "unknown visitors" won't stop crime.

I suggest any law-abiding citizen be permitted to carry, concealed or openly, according to his/her preference.

XD Owner

imported post

I could be wrong of course, but I think Opsgear is a student of the Jonathan Swift School of Writing. To remind, Swift suggested a solution to the Irish economic problem:Irishchildren should be fattened up and sold for food.

Opsgear, you're no Jonathan Swift.

This will be the last I write about "Sgt. Ops." He deserves no more attention than a mushroom rotting in the deep Canadian woods.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Meanwhile back to the thread. I'm looking forward to the powerpoint presentation with much anticipation.
:exclaim: Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
A reminder - I am speaking on "Higher Ed and lawful concealed carry: what is YOUR life worth?" this coming Monday, October 29th, from 7 PM to 9 PM. The talk will be in room 1670 of Litton-Reaves Hall on the west side of the Virginia Tech campus.

This is my first time to visit Virginia Tech and I am really looking forward to it.

The public is invited. If you would like to attend or know any students, faculty, or staff from VT or other school who are attending, let me know by responding to president@vcdl.org (unless you have responded previously).

Dear Sir:

I believe you have more understanding than I in regards to whether or not I can OC or CC at this meeting. Can I or not? I will be there no matter, with a full or empty holster.

John

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
SGT Ops: What exactly isyour point?
I think that he is suggesting (for the sake of conversation I hope) that full time students be allowed to carry but not guests, visitors, vendors, alumni, dates, wives, husbands, boy friends, girl friends, parents et al.

Wouldn't that be a strange new breed of elitists? We, the students, can defend ourselves but you (everybody else) can't.

In fairness, he would seem to favor the student's right to self defense but misses his own point that we all have that right.

Sgt. Ops, you said "Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something." Leave it at that. :exclaim:

Yata hey

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
VCDL President wrote:

Dear Sir:

I believe you have more understanding than I in regards to whether or not I can OC or CC at this meeting. Can I or not? I will be there no matter, with a full or empty holster.

John
There is no state law against carry there. Their rule follows, the authority of which has been subject to debate. Note that no punishment is proscribed for guests carrying. They might try to treat it as trespass, but again, whether that would hold any sway is even more debatable. However, I am not a lawyer and can't give you any legal advice.

BTW, VCDL has a policy of not encouraging nor discouraging carry, openly or concealed, by its members, but leaves any such decision up to the member to make for himself or herself as a free adult.

2.2 Prohibition of Weapons The university employees, students, and volunteers, or any visitor or other third party attending a sporting, entertainment, or educational event, or visiting an academic or administrative office building or residence hall, are further prohibited from carrying, maintaining, or storing a firearm or weapon on any university facility, even if the owner has a valid permit, when it is not required by the individual's job, or in accordance with the relevant University Student Life Policies.

Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon on university property will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student judicial referral and/or arrest, or an employee disciplinary action and/or arrest.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Keep up the good work. Wish I could be there but its too far from my other commitments.

Virginia Tech adminisrtators just don't get it.........yet! :cuss: :banghead:

There are other avenues that I know are being explored.

Yata hey