• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL President to speak at Virginia Tech Monday night

hinch

imported post

There are some distortions in that article, and the comments are quite hilarious. It isn't written as a anti, which is good I guess.

Neplusultra

imported post

vt357 wrote:
The VT campus paper the Collegiate Times posted an article on Phil's talk (headline article of their website). It's actually a fair article, presenting the talking points without telling you what to think about them. I'm sure a hateful editorial will appear tomorrow.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2007/10/30/speaker_endorses_concealed_weapons
I was at the meeting (30 min drive) and really enjoyed meeting some of the "crazy" people. Phillip of course, Bruce, Ken the guy who organized the empty holster protest at Tech, and the grad student who was kicked out of Tech for conceal carrying, who told me he wasn't actually kicked out but came to an "agreement". Ie, don't bust our balls and we won't use our huge governmental powers to bust yours....

It was a good night and the comments to the VT Collegiate article has been great. I just posted mine at 12:47 am 10/31. I suggest that everyone read the CT article and post a comment. Comments are running strongly in favor of CC. Those opposed have posted rather "unbelieveable" points. One poster said the article was biased but I thought it was rather fair, although there were inaccuracies in it.

XCon

imported post

Tess wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops

I truly don't understand your viewpoint. Why should only students be protected? Why check in with anyone?

Once again, laws against "unknown visitors" won't stop crime.

I suggest any law-abiding citizen be permitted to carry, concealed or openly, according to his/her preference.

well, I respect your opinion, but if we want to have a safer learning environment and minimize the risk of blitz attacts by outsiders we have to follow some sort of safer plan. If someone checks in we would have names, time so it will be easier to catch them if something went wrong. Visitors often times gather info, scout the area, place bombs, etc because they are not signed in. We don't want to have another 9-11. I truly understand your point of view but if we want it to work lawmakers got to focus on that issue as well. No harms done!

Sgt Ops

sjhipple

imported post

Opsgear wrote:
Tess wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
I suggest only students who are enrolled and has registered for classes may carry weapon if they deep appropriate. Everyone has a right to defend themselves from bad guys that are out there to start something. Those who are visiting, or guest should leave it in the car locked or have to check in at the enterance or with campus police. We all want safer environment for our teachers, students and staff. Unknown visitors should go through this procedure or he/she won't be allowed to enter. What you think guys?

Sgt Ops

I truly don't understand your viewpoint. Why should only students be protected? Why check in with anyone?

I suggest any law-abiding citizen be permitted to carry, concealed or openly, according to his/her preference.

well, I respect your opinion, but if we want to have a safer learning environment and minimize the risk of blitz attacts by outsiders we have to follow some sort of safer plan. If someone checks in we would have names, time so it will be easier to catch them if something went wrong. Visitors often times gather info, scout the area, place bombs, etc because they are not signed in. We don't want to have another 9-11. I truly understand your point of view but if we want it to work lawmakers got to focus on that issue as well. No harms done!

Sgt Ops

Because we ALLLLLLLL know that anyone thinking about making a "blitz attack" will stop as soon as he finds out he's not supposed to have his gun in there. Are you that dumb?? How about we just pass a law outlawing the shooting of students?...oh wait, we already have one. Phew, good, now no one will do that.:quirky

If the bad guy has his gun concealed, you won't find it until he starts using it...unless you randomly search students (which I'm sure cops like you would love)

As far as having people sign in, ummm...we already do that. Besides the problem wasn't that we couldn't figure out who the shooter was at VT.

How about this?? How about every human being be allowed to exercise his god-given right to protect himself no matter where he is?? The SAFER PLAN would be to allow students and teachers to protect themselves.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
Tess wrote:
Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops

Sgt Ops

Because we ALLLLLLLL know that anyone thinking about making a "blitz attack" will stop as soon as he finds out he's not supposed to have his gun in there. Are you that dumb?? How about we just pass a law outlawing the shooting of students?...oh wait, we already have one. Phew, good, now no one will do that.:quirky

If the bad guy has his gun concealed, you won't find it until he starts using it...unless you randomly search students (which I'm sure cops like you would love)

As far as having people sign in, ummm...we already do that. Besides the problem wasn't that we couldn't figure out who the shooter was at VT.

How about this?? How about every human being be allowed to exercise his god-given right to protect himself no matter where he is?? The SAFER PLAN would be to allow students and teachers to protect themselves.
+1

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't feed the troll(s)

ama-gi wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
Tess wrote:
Opsgear wrote:

Sgt Ops

Sgt Ops