• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at middle school football game

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gLMQdAwmg_o9J7p-mpTlvrP0EBqg

4 Shot in Attack Near Middle School Game
By DAVID EGGERT – 1 hour ago

SAGINAW, Mich. (AP) — A shooting near a middle school football game left a high school student in critical condition and injured three other people, officials said Thursday.

A 16-year-old boy was shot in the neck about 5:15 p.m. Wednesday near South Middle School, Detective Sgt. Brent Vanderhaar said. He was in critical condition Thursday, said Safiya Mosley, a Saginaw Public Schools spokeswoman.

The three other victims, two adults and another high school student, were treated and released, some after being grazed by bullets.

Police were questioning a 15-year-old boy whom Vanderhaar described as a "person of interest." The boy remained in custody Thursday morning, said Detective Sgt. Mark Lively.

Police also on Thursday were searching for the gun used in the shooting, Lively said.

Mosley said the two wounded teens attend Arthur Hill High School, as does the person police suspect in the shooting.

Vanderhaar would not say whether the wounded 16-year-old had been targeted by the shooter, but did say the other victims apparently were bystanders walking from the game.

"It's unfortunate that children with guns have to ruin something as nice as a football game," Police Chief Gerald H. Cliff told The Saginaw News. "We are not going to sit idly by and let it happen."

Messages seeking comment from Cliff and additional information from police left Thursday by The Associated Press were not returned.

About 100 people were attending the game when the gunfire erupted at halftime, Vanderhaar said. Players and spectators were moved toward the center of the football field immediately after the shootings, Mosley said. They were allowed to leave after police indicated the situation was under control.

Classes were held Thursday at the middle school under stepped-up security, Mosley said. She said crisis counselors were available to students needing them. Arthur Hill High previously had increased security, she said.

"Things that go on in the community sometimes have effects in the schools," Mosley said. "It's going to take the community as a whole to fix it."

Saginaw, like some of Michigan's other large cities, has struggled under high unemployment and crime rates for years.

The city of 60,000 lost about 4,900 auto and other manufacturing jobs from 1994 to 2004, economic development officials say. A criminal justice expert concluded that Saginaw had nearly triple the number of homicides in 2004 than Midwestern cities of similar populations had.

Associated Press Writer David Runk in Detroit contributed to this report.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

If they are not going to allow teachers to carry at schools, at least allow me to carry to something like a football game. I would hate to be caught in a situation like this, and be defenseless because I am voluntarily obeying the government's laws, even though I don't agree with the law.

PT111

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Hence the benefits of concealment even though SC, e.g., does not allow open carry anywhere nor CCW at non-shooting sporting events.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$
You can carry at sporting events as long as they are not school related. NASCAR, Golf Tournaments, Little League, Monster Trucks, Wrasslin'. Or at least that it the way I read it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No legal guns in schools = shootings in schools.
No defense = victims.
Any other questions?

Yata hey