• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs rolled up with their guns up and out...

sjhipple

imported post

peter nap wrote:
MY issue is that he has a perfect right to show the gun to his friend in his yard. Doesn't have anything to do with the police. He shouldn't have to hide it from his neighbor or anyone else.

Sure, showing at that time of night might not have been the greatest PR Move, neither is OC'ing at a board of supervisors meeting. I don't do it because I think I'll be attacked there. I do it because I can!

Ah, so we've been ships passing in the night.

One thing: I think OCing *IS* a good PR move...while people don't like it, it gets them used to it and I'd rather them be used to it than like it.

I agree with you. He was within his right and if he's willing to deal with the police, he should continue to do it (I wouldn't though). And you're also right that he shouldn't have to hide it from his neighbor. Maybe if he keeps doing it, the neighbor will quit calling the police (although I imagine that police might get irritated and eventually charge him with something...and if I know anything, it's that I don't want to face a gun charge in front of a No.Va. jury).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One thing: I think OCing *IS* a good PR move...while people don't like it, it gets them used to it and I'd rather them be used to it than like it.

Yes, that's true unless you go somewhere that frightens people to the extent it damages the image. I don't especially like carrying a gun. Been doing it for longer than I like to remember but because I felt I needed to...or to make a statement.

I've always carried fairly large guns. My walking around gun is a 3" barreled.. L frame 44 spl. It's heavy. pulls my pants down but when I shoot it, I hit what I'm shooting at, with plenty of juice.

Anyway....there's no special joy in walking around with it. A lot of times when I go to restaurants, I'll wear my air taser concealed rather than OC because I know people in that establishment will panic. Mortons is one of them and Ruth Chris is another. You won't get those people used to it, they just panic and leave.

Now sometimes I do like to make a statement. At the last VCDL meeting I wore my 6" Dan Wesson 44 mag.:lol:

Even Philip noticed:D

sjhipple

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Anyway....there's no special joy in walking around with it. A lot of times when I go to restaurants, I'll wear my air taser concealed rather than OC because I know people in that establishment will panic. Mortons is one of them and Ruth Chris is another. You won't get those people used to it, they just panic and leave.

I figure the first time, it will scare them (because it's out of the ordinary). THey'll probably call the police. The second time, they may call the police. The third time, they probably won't call teh police. The fourth time, they may not even notice.

Now sometimes I do like to make a statement. At the last VCDL meeting I wore my 6" Dan Wesson 44 mag.:lol:

Even Philip noticed:D

That is HILARIOUS!

DezaraX

imported post

Thanks for all the responses. I was interested to see what you all thought of the incident.

I honestly don't think the cops reacted inappropriately. At first I did think my rights were being violated, but that was until they told me that they got a call that someone was brandishing a firearm. Overall the cops handled it very well, with the exception of the older one who assumed we were "most likely" violating city ordinances.

We were not drinking at the time. One of the officers even mentioned that fact during his assessment of the situation. He stated that if we had been drinking then there may have been more of a chance for questionable behavior. That brings a question to my mind:

Does anyone know if it is it illegal to be OCing in VA while having a beer in your hand if you're on your own property?

As far as "show and tell" right after an altercation with my neighbor, I can completely understand why some would think that wasn't a good PR move. To be completely honest, we had dismissed the likelihood of the police showing up and had gotten over the initial confrontation altogether. We didn't do it to prove any points, although I do admit that I am one who certainly doesn't mind confrontation when I know that it will solidify one of my inalienable rights, such as my neighbor understanding that I am able to OC legally and that he needs to think twice before calling the police anytime he sees a firearm.

I haven't had any other negative encounters with my neighbor since that night. I should go over and talk to him about it and be cordial, but it simply hasn't been priority one for me lately and we're usually not home at the same time.

Again, thanks all for your comments.

paramedic70002

imported post

DezaraX wrote:
Does anyone know if it is it illegal to be OCing in VA while having a beer in your hand if you're on your own property?
Probably not yet still inadvisable. Gives the unarmed an unfavorable impression, plus I'd hate to explain to a hostile jury why I shot someone while I was drinking.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It also violates the #1 rule we try to teach our Kids! Very BAD IDEA!:(

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
DezaraX wrote:
Probably not yet still inadvisable. Gives the unarmed an unfavorable impression, plus I'd hate to explain to a hostile jury why I shot someone while I was drinking.

On your own property????

C'mon...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

On your own property????
Your right Hank. You doen't even have to be on your own property IMHO. Just as long as your alone and out of range of everybody nearby...I have no problem with anything somebody wants to do.

I'm sure not my brothers keeper and I've said over and over...."To damn many people in my world anyway!":shock:

paramedic70002

imported post

HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
DezaraX wrote:

On your own property????

C'mon...
Hey, all I said was inadvisable. Plus I was thinking of the townhouse scenario, not some expansive yet secluded back yard.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
DezaraX wrote:

On your own property????

C'mon...
Hey, all I said was inadvisable. Plus I was thinking of the townhouse scenario, not some expansive yet secluded back yard.

Nah, it's not only not inadvisable, it's a perfectly acceptable carry of gun. Pulling in wild contingencies like ashooting situation, for some odd reason, doesn't change the basic question. On your property is, well, it's on your property.It's well settled that that's OK.

There is only one place on your property that I can think of that where it would be inadvisable to openly carry a gun...

paramedic70002

imported post

HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
DezaraX wrote:

On your own property????

C'mon...

Nah, it's not only not inadvisable, it's a perfectly acceptable carry of gun. Pulling in wild contingencies like ashooting situation, for some odd reason, doesn't change the basic question. On your property is, well, it's on your property.It's well settled that that's OK.

There is only one place on your property that I can think of that where it would be inadvisable to openly carry a gun...
So are you advocating the carrying of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol?

Are you saying that a shooting while in possession of a firearm is a wild contingency? I thought that the whole reason for carrying a weapon is in case somebody needed shootin'.

And where is that one place on your property that it's inadvisable to open carry, in your opinion?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
So are you advocating the carrying of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol?
No.

paramedic70002 wrote:
Are you saying that a shooting while in possession of a firearm is a wild contingency?
No. C'mon. I didn't say that.

paramedic70002 wrote:
And where is that one place on your property that it's inadvisable to open carry, in your opinion?
Oh, c'mon again. It's pretty obvious. If you reallycan't figure it out, I'd be glad to tell you. But just about anyone can figure it out.